Room Acoustics

I don’t know how to name the thread but i want to discuss the room where i am recording.

I have experience recording in different living rooms and i want to say that one room can sound better than another, I used the same mic for vocals.

So that’s what I want to say. That the room in which I record can greatly affect the tone of the sound.It may sound professional or unprofessional. Is it so? Is the room and sound insulation or geometry so important, plus sound-absorbing materials?

A big part of why I got into making electronic music as opposed to rock or punk or something is that I get to avoid acoustics as much as possible. They matter more or less depending on the exact instrument you want to record and how you want to record it, but they will end up playing a role.

For instance, if your room has a mode around 30-60hz (which most rooms do) every part you record in there will have that resonance in it, and it will build up in your track. If you know that, then you can filter and EQ around it, but as a newbie all I knew was my rooms didn’t sound good, so recording wasn’t going to be fun. I think it’s kind of a cruel joke of fate that the people who need the most help from good acoustics are beginners who probably don’t have access to them, and the people who can work around it best are experienced and probably already have somewhere with good acoustics that they’ve built.

But I mentioned recording technique earlier, if you can close-mike most of your sounds you can overpower acoustics with your source for the most part (at least, that has worked well enough for me). Of course, that brings it’s own problem of everything in your song sounds super close now, but that’s not an acoustics problem at least.

Yeah. Differences in natural reverb can single-handedly ruin a song. I scout out rooms in advance of recording.

When you learn, and have the resources, to make it work for you, it adds a whole new dimension to sound design.

Yep, room can make or break a recording. Like @White_Noise, I like getting to skip dodgy rooms being in the box, but there’s been times I’ve piped VSTs into a speaker to mic the room just because it sounded so good.

It’s art - play around and try recording a room, you never know what will sound good.

I just do DI. Izotope RX has a lot of great tools to use if you’re doing vocals in a dodgy room, too. If you’re just talking about having an untreated room for mixing, use headphones for now?

Also, if you do a lot of field recordings like I do, just work the ambiance into the track with some good old OTT.

Acoustic treatment is essential for recording if you record real instruments with microphones.