Noise Sample Challenge (Deadline Feb 15)

Noise Sample Challenge

Your job is to take this short and very raw audio sample and make something interesting with it. There’s no genre restriction but try to create a full track or at least see how far you can go with it.

link: https://clyp.it/zugzdj0p (WARNING! Loud)

The sample itself is a random program shortcut of some desktop app (.lnk file format) that was imported as a raw data into Audacity. It’s harsh, heavy and it clips, you know it’s the good stuff.

The goal here is to encourage all of you to dig deep into sound design. Forget all rules. You’re open to do anything with it, put it into a wavetable synth, stretch, apply any effects, granulize, AM/FM synthesis… Remember: no other sound sources, just this short noise-glitch. It should be the basis of everything. Make it unrecognizable as much as you want. Not like it’s some amazing sound to be begin with… Sounds challenging? Prove it wrong.

There’s no time limit, so don’t rush with this. Treat this more like a practice of sound design, maybe you’ll learn something new too. This is not a competition where at the end we compare each other’s effort, you’re already a winner if you submit something. Feel free to share WIPs so we all could discuss various techniques you applied in your project too.

Have fun.

Hey, this is like my Starcraft rip noise sample challenge. Nice sequel!

Downloaded, can’t wait to granul8, VCV8 and OSCiLLOT8

Cool, i’m in, no rush …

Exciting

Can some one replied to me in 3 hours so I don’t forget? I really want to do this, I have a granular synth a sampler. Full advantage of this I want to take :slight_smile:

Better get it going then! So I went for a harder mode. This was all made with Live’s stock devices only, no third-party plugins, no wavetable resampling (unless micro-loops count), no granular synths however granular design was achieved in a different way with Live’s warping algorithms. It’s all based around Simpler & Sampler with some native audio effects. Lots of distortion, compression and resampling.

Clearly unfinished and kind of scrap stuff made in one session.

timestretch to get different tones + granular synthesis

and for the drums used toxic biohazard as a sampler, using lfos to modulate lfos and the filter parameters the the tuning of a few oscillators (freq shft parameter…with the coarse pitch for some beeing -99 and the maybe one or two are normal)…
then distortion eq compression then granular synth to trigger the sample at different pitches, added distortion, eq then used a limiter and a muted drum loop as to trigger a rhythmic sequence applied automating of reverb(room size, diffusion, decay) compression distortion eq…
here…

I’m not really sure what I had muted at the end of this, but this isn’t the last incarnation anyway. WIP.

Good stuff guys!

@bfk are you planning to expand this?

@xSANTAxDURSTx damn it went really minimal after 1:26. Cool sound collage, need more.

Depends I might and I probably use other samples…if I do so…

@_ms I just downloaded this file and I am excited to see what I am able to do with some of the Max audio FX on this beast.

Hey thanks for doing this ms, what’s your thoughts on putting the sample through guitar hardware like amps, pedals, mics that type of thing or the spirit more to just keep it in DAW?

I think you’re good to go freestyle on it and do whatever you want, after reading that, @7asid

I think I already sent mine through a few amps / cabs. I might be disqualified

Maybe my description was too vague… Anyways, that sample has to be the origin of every other sound and that’s pretty much sums up entire rules. It’s the stage 1 sound source. What you do later with it is nobody’s concern, use hardware/software, really, crop it micro-seconds… Anything! So let’s say you resampled it with bunch of modulation on top and now you got this new audio stem. You can go even deeper if you decide to resample that resampled audio by creating a sample pack for a track… Just some ideas.

So, I have this version 1 of this and my further plan is to start a new project and just go for different techniques, then somehow blend there 2 projects together, in such way expanding the WIP. I’ll grab this sample again and go for some different direction.

The reason i asked is because hardware can introduce its own noise and artifacts and whatnots when playing back the source so it sounded like a grey area to me, i do understand that on the face of it it should be ok but wanted to get your take anyways :slight_smile:

imo that’s just a strength of using hardware. You processed it with something, and got things out of it others might not, unless they own that hardware and did it the same way (not likely). Bottom line, you started with the same sound source as everyone else. What you do to it, or with it, is what this challenge is all about! You do you! At least, that’s how I interpreted it <3 Like, it isn’t my fault the rest of you don’t (or might not) have a broken Tascam multitrack to record this to and then sample the results from XD that’s just part of how I processed the sound we were given :woman_shrugging: And my 414mkII might not be busted in the same way someone else’s is; more power to them and their thing! <3

I think you’re underestimating what some of us softnerds are capable of. Unintended destruction still exists within the box if you want it to, and some plugz are really shiny.

However, I can’t wait to hear what that broken mayhem actually sounds like

Less talkin’ more doin’

Here’s my take number 2. Resonators meet delay feedback loops. One short session. Mixing is all over the place by default, wall of sound kind of approach.

I was more supporting someone doubting the validity of what they were doing…