John Hopkins has a new album out

He has a new album out and I’m not feeling it…

It’s just synths with some Alan watts…type narration.

Idk…not my thing. I liked his other stuff though

I believe it’s heavily influenced by recent psychedelic experiences he has had and meant to be a diary or letter to those type of things. I have nothing against psychedelics but it’s not my bag either. I think some of the narration is also Ram Daas.

All of his other stuff, I really love though.

I haven’t listened to the album but my hot take is that psychedelics make people annoying lol… pre-pandemic I interacted with people who used them regularly and there is nothing more draining for me than some burnt out hippie who has done so much acid they’ve got that thousand yard stare and they just ramble about a mish-mash of world religions they’ve cobbled together into their 8th grade reading level world view.

I imagine this album is the musical version of such a rant.

Initially I was turned off by this record and what it was about, the whole psychedelic piece and all that. However, after giving this album an honest try….

I rescind my previous comments.

Side note……

I’ve tripped more acid than most so I’m not turned off due to an aversion or anything like that. More turned off because of how “en vogue” it’s becoming and I’m very averse to whatever is “in.” I suppose because I took truckloads of LSD long before it was “in” I see the current trend as a bandwagon effect. But that’s my issue, not this records.

Anyway…

Setting aside the current trends in psychedelia these recordings turn out to be a stunning, tapestry of sound masterpiece. I came to this record after listening to Jon on a podcast called Tape Notes. He talked all about the record in great detail, playing stems and talking about how he made everything. I liked what I heard and found the discussion fascinating. So I decided to give the record a digital spin today in the car at max volume on my hour commute home.

It was light rain at dusk when I hit play and I drove into night as the record descended into the depths of what it is. All I can say is, god damn, what a ride. It’s not really like listening to music at all but more like being transported to various places. The whole affair is very pleasing and the way he weaves his sounds in and out of each other sounds absolutely wonderful. It’s very much like a living, breathing thing.

Highly recommended…

10/10

John Hopkins is a popular musician among your audience. its music listens to by all over the world and this album is a matter of happiness for them.