Irish Flute Newbie

Hi there! I’m a passionate newcomer to the enchanting area of Irish flute, eager to embrace the captivating melodies and traditions of this beautiful instrument. As such I’ve enjoyed looking for irish flute for sale online.

Sounds intriguing enough to tell us more, this post is kind of like a cliffhanger. Is that your site(?), did you recently pick up a new flute(?), got samples of said flute(?), what’s the difference between an Irish flute and your basic-ass flute from the flute store(?) etc? Definitely interested in hearing more about this!

I have a flute laying around here that I’ve been wanting to make a pack out of, but it’s definitely not Irish… and I have no idea how to play it. :smiley:

thisonetime

@Slime - There you go!

I don’t have an Irish Flute… but I am a Flute player for many years. (Don’t like the term “flautist” sounds like made up pretentious)

I am happy to collaborate :sunglasses::v::sparkles:

I’ve been playing since the 70’s (yes it was Jethro Tull inspired but also
Herbie Mann)

Fun Fact: there are two basic types: Fipple and Transverse. Fipple is like a whistle, you blow straight into a mouthpiece. Transverse, you hold it sideways and blow across an open hole. If you can get a sound blowing across an open bottle (like any 5 year old) you can play a transverse flute.

Basics to get started: forget the holes at first… just blow in it and work on a pleasing sound. Takes a little practice with the transverse to get to “pleasing.”

Now the holes… for the high note leave all the holes open (hey! You just learned the high note with your new “pleasing” sound!)

So the high note is all holes open. The next lower note is played by closing the hole closest to the hole you are blowing in. (Wow! I can play two notes! I can even do a trill! That’s cool :sunglasses:)

The NEXT lower note is played by (you guessed it!) closing the next lowest hole, but here is where it gets tricky! You also have to keep the first hole closed at the same time. Two fingers, one on each hole.

So the basic concept is: The sound comes out of the highest open hole. So… for any given note, all the holes higher are closed and all the holes lower are open. You are simply changing the length of tube to change notes! (WOW! :star_struck: this is so easy!)

So to play a descending scale, you close each hole in succession, moving down the flute, while keeping your fingers down on all of the previous holes.

To play an ascending scale you start by closing all the holes and open them one at time ( starting from the bottom.)

If you randomly close holes here and there in the middle of the flute, all you you get are bad (not pleasing!) versions of the high note, Most people give up right there and believe “I can’t play the flute”

The above description is a basic scale in the Lower Register, to get to the next Higher Register you blow harder. (Really? :thinking:that’s it? Let me try that…)

Blowing easy or blowing hard to get two notes an octave apart is relatively easy. Changing Registers scale wise takes practice. You need to go from the highest note (all holes open) while blowing easy, directly to the lowest note (all holes closed) while blowing hard AND! Make it sound pleasing!

Once you can do that … you are a beginner.

As you learn higher and higher notes, the rule about “highest open hole is the note you hear” begins to have exceptions. Lots of physics about harmonics and overtones here… don’t worry :wink: with practice you will get there!

Enjoy! Feel free to DM if you want to explore this wonderful instrument further.

This is actually way more than I knew about the instrument! I’m going to have to credit you if I ever come up with a flute sample pack, or feel even decent enough to call myself a beginner flutist at all!

that’s for me all i can play with when it comes to irish whistle or flutes … some good instruments

@murphybridget

How is the Irish flute coming along?

Explain to us what an Irish flute is, without using the words, Irish, flute, or Ireland

I’m not going to do a concert anytime soon. But for my understanding Irish flute is actually called penny whistle. Excuse my newbie ass.

P.S. I didn’t realize this thread would pick up to the way it is now.

Hi I am trying to learn the Turkish ney, subbing to this thread

Good luck to you!!!

Irish Flute Newbie would be a good song or band name

Sounds good to me!!! Would you join?

duhhhhh