IDMf010 VA - Between The Silence & The Story

“A man steps into the universe because he is summoned. The spirits call. Motion begins. Fate ravels. Once he is in, there is no turning back: He is the spark between not being and being, between vacuum and life ― between the silence and story.” – Marie Arana

The long-awaited tenth volume off the IDMf netlabel label.idmforums.com is one of the best yet. Including previously released artists as well as new talent, this compilation once again displays the incredible skill, variety, and collaborative efforts of like-minded electronic music producers who contribute to the netlabel and its adjacent forum. idmforums.com

IDMf010 explores the musical idea of balance, each track complimenting the other in a way that creates a seamless album of electronic music touching on (and sometimes crossing over) multiple genres: breaks, dnb, dubstep, IDM, ambient, downtempo, industrial, and more. This compilation pulls us in from the beginning and carries us through an aural coliseum where the combating forces of sound move us into the eye of the storm, until silence takes over and the story lives on.

credits

released September 3, 2010

Produced and arranged by Wayne Baker and Nathan Schwartz
Mastered by Ben Walthew
Album art by Tommy Delvärn
Released by the IDMfNetlabel under a Creative Commons License

For me IDMf010 will always hold a special place in my mind. It’s one of those releases that is indelibly attached to a certain time period in my life. I was going through quite a bit of self-imposed turmoil and, during that time, this release was there for me. In fact, it was the first release from the catalog that I had heard.

This release came out about 20 days prior to my initial registration with the forum in September of 2010. Time flies. Right off the rip of listening to this collection of tracks I knew it was going to be something special. I had no idea what I was really in for though. The production value and attention to detail really took me by surprise. Especially for something being released independently, on-line.

For those of you who haven’t heard it the record begins with an amazing track called “Give it to the Drummer” by former, long-standing IDMforum member - GBSR. It’s a bombastic opener that blurs the lines between sampling, a live show, drum breaks and synth-work. The piece is truly a joy to listen through and continues to surprise me to this day.

On that note…

If anyone reads this and has any insight on that track I’ve always wondered if GBSR just cooked the entire thing up or if there’s an actual sample of a live show as the main part of the piece. The drums seem to be hand made because at one point there is quite a bit of resampling applied to them that doesn’t seem to get applied to the crowd noises or the MC. You have to listen to the piece obviously to conceptualize everything but, like I said before, it’s well worth the listen.

Some of the tracks, stylistically, are starting to show their age given that they were produced in the NI Massive / dubstep era but, never-the-less the production value is stunning. That said, there are many other pieces on this release that break that mold and really tap into the emotions of the listener. All that to say, for anyone who hasn’t pressed play on this yet, I’d highly recommend it.

9/10