Daft Punk breaking up

i can tottally relate, i worked in value village for a few months and they had one playlist of current pop music that just repeated over and over and it was very much traumatic. i like alot of pop music but generally listening to the radio is an unpleasant experience for me

It can be brutal.

In 1994, I really disliked The Cranberries to start with (That was ā€œZombieā€ time). I would hear that fucking song EVERYWHERE. And then I worked in a restaurant and for over 6 months the album was on rotation with one or two others - we would hear the full fucking album 5-6 times a day every day. One day I lost my shit, took the CD and scratched it violently against the wall when nobody was around. The poor chick to whom it belonged was horrified (ā€œwho would do that?ā€). Oopsies, I did feel bad but that fucking CD had it coming. Fucking Cranberries.

haha, I feel ya too. Most of my early retail jobs had like paid piped in music (legally you canā€™t just turn on the radio in a retail store in the US) and each station only played like 30-40 songs in a rotation and they only worked in like 6 new ones a month

I swear I almost hung my self with a string of sausages the month when Tears of the Clown came on rotation.

OT: One More Time had an animated short attached to it, that was my first exposure to Daft Punk as a kid.

i remember the zombie video always made me sad and kinda scared as a child. i was actually just the other day thinking about how i only know a couple of cranberries songs and wondered what a full album is like

Actually, thereā€™s a whole movie that goes with the album Discovery animated in that style. One of my friends synced it up for me when I was first getting into DP and gave me the video file with the album audio. I lost that a long time ago, but it is 100% a fantastic experience. Gave me a much deeper appreciation for some of the songs I would normally just skip.

I think the movie was called something like ā€œInter5tella 555 and the 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystemā€. Iā€™m sure if you look up Interstella 555 something will come up. Just typing that out that way hurt my brain. IIRC DP were fans of anime, so they worked with one of their favorite directors to make that movie happen or have an edit of it done or something along those lines.

Sorry to boost this topic but I thought Iā€™d chime in. Daft punk was pretty much my first exposure to electronic dance music in the late 90ā€™s when their ā€œHomeworkā€ album was released. That album is untouchable, and a perfect representation of what House music should sound like to me, with the beautiful sounds of the Roland TR 909ā€¦ā€œDiscoveryā€, their second album was a french house/filter house wonder, as well. I donā€™t think their influence on electronic music as a whole can be refutedā€¦so no, your original post was not an overreaction. It doesnā€™t matter that later in their career they became super mainstream, it is a sudden and unfortunate turn of events for them to part ways without any explanation whatsoever. Unlike many of the top ā€œambassadorsā€ of electronic music, they kept it quite classy throughout their careerā€¦

Interesting news today, Daft Punkā€™s Facebook page got updated cover images and some new photo uploads. I donā€™t want to get my hopes up but could this whole breakup thing have been a long con for something new?

EDIT: looks like they did a 25th anniversary edition of homework with some remixes.

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mfg6NA2Q6rWf2THgxCy4kLKAu7gSy0OrA