Books!

Don’t think there is a thread about (music-related) books on the forum… so here goes.

TIL in the Reddit thread below that Ableton’s Making Music: 74 Creative Strategies for Electronic Music Producers is temporarily free as a download.

[Free Download from Ableton] Making Music: 74 Creative Strategies for Electronic Music Producers

I have not read it yet but did download it, as parts of it seemed quite interesting.

D/L links are inside the Reddit thread.

Nice find! Just for ease of downloading:

I have the printed version of this on my desk, most things apply to any daw/process.

A more esoteric book, but one that keeps on giving to me. Andy Farnell’s “Designing Sound.” All the examples are in PD but people have ported a lot to Max/MSP over the years, and the principles are generally applicable to those who want to create the sounds of their imagination from raw materials such as digital oscillators and filters. It also touches a lot on the creative process behind sound design.

Welsh’s Synthesizer Cook Book is great if you know absolutely nothing about subtractive synths.

Cool ! I was just about to ask general advice on books to read about recording and mixing. I’m currently halfway into Dave Gibbon’s “Art of Mixing”. I have no idea how this book is perceived in the professional sphere, but I’m liking what I’m reading so far. It’s straight-forward, informative, and even funny at times. I’d love a good book on recording techniques in the studio. If any of you got any advice, I’d love to hear it.

For something less technical, an absolute must-read for me is Steve Reich’s “Writings on Music”. It’s a deep dive into his creative process and his ideas are so absolutely clear, it’s a great inspiration.

Some really good recos in there, lovely!

One book that doesn’t exist and has been a total enigma for me is this:

Mastering with iZotope Ozone 8 (iZotope Official Curiculum)

At first it was supposed to be available sometimes last year. The release date has been constantly pushed since. Also, well, Ozone is at version 9 since October 2019, so this is already obsolete.

It would be great if it existed though…

There is a topic about books, use the search. The books we are reading

By the way I would not mind reading books about songwriting.

I did use the search and what I was looking for didn’t turn up (see hint above) :wink:

Not sure if it is added, but for FM:
http://javelinart.com/FM_Synthesis_of_Real_Instruments.pdf