A just-4-fun thread since I updated Bitwig instead of Ableton this Black Friday and saw some entertaining Live vs. BW wars at other forums. I thought there was a thread like this already but I couldn’t find it with a 2 second forum search, so…
Which DAWs do you hate/love compared to others and why?
A few words about my own experiences:
I started playing around with Fruity Loops (v4 or v5 IIRC) at a friend’s home decades ago, then spent some quality time with Reason (v6 was the last update I got) and I loved the modularity and modules, but hated the huge rack and the arrangement view. Then I switched to Ableton (v8 or v9 I think) and then got Bitwig (v3) because of the modulation options and The Grid, but just recently updated it to v5 and just made my first track in v5.
So here is my short comparison of Live 11 and Bitwig 5, maybe it’s helpful for someone starting out or thinking about switching:
- Audio handling, especially warp markers
- huge range of avaiable Max 4 Live devices
- some really good native devices (and some good M4L stuff)
- modulation: add any modulator (including expressivity, macros, LFOs and randomization) to anything (including the levels of groups and the whole project) in a matter of seconds
- General stability and plugin sandboxing - oh, thank you, it’s so good, not a single crash so far in a project with many plugins (Live doesn’t even open multiple project files anymore which I made less than a year ago - I’m sure it’s because of malfunctioning plugins, but still…)
- I also think the performance is much better than in Live, much less need to bounce anything for me, no matter what plugins I threw into the project - just my impression atm though, I haven’t really tested that 1:1
- The Grid: awesome completely integrated modular environment
- handling of multiple windows (it has a selection of different modes with regard to what it displays in which window that you can change quickly - that really works great for me)
- many basic functions
- especially Piano roll / MIDI editing
Differences in workflow one has to get accustomed to:
- the biggest thing for me so far is that the browsers are very different, whicch took me a while to get really comfy with. Live sees the subfolders of your plugin folders, in Bitwig you have to use collections to make categories (which is ok, too, I just wish they would display the categories in multiple adaptable rows)
Might update the comparison if I come across other notable aspects.
Let us know how you like different DAWs and let’s maybe start a few DAW Wars