Your musical journey

I’m getting older now here’s my journey.

Primary School - Guns n Roses, Warrant and Poison, Metallica

Junior High - Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Rage against the machine.

Senior High- Weezer, Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Rock.

Uni/early 20s- Mogwai, Pavement, Sonic Youth, Slowcore (e.g. Low, Art of Fighting), Godspeed You Black Emperor, postrock influenced glitch/IDM (e.g. Fourtet, M’um), early M83, Math Rock e.g. My Disco, Twinkling post hardcore (e.g. Appleseed Cast), Pedro the Lion, Bright eyes.

After that -
Sufjan Stevens, Son Lux, Tycho, Ambient drone music, Com Truise, some more straight up IDM and some melodic break core (although I’m a bit over that now). Arcade Fire.

I still really love post rock, twinkling Indie rock and the edges of IDM. I’m also enjoying good songwriters again like Conor Oberst, David Bazan, Sufjan, Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan.

It’s always a pleasure to explore journeys in music. It’s those stories that can give new meaning to familiar songs. I was fortunate to have distant family introduce me to new wave music. There was also far more diversity on FM radio because the segmentation of markets in the industry hadn’t taken place yet.

Musical Starstreams radio program gave me a sense of a completely new world of visceral reactions I still feel today. That was true since my first memories. The love of music couldnt be a purer feeling of trancendence to me.

In the present, psychedelic sounds in all their forms take up a lot of airtime.

And there’s something about the way labels like 4AD, Creation. There’s just not enough time to scratch it. I’m not sure where I am on the journey but every season teaches me something.

Fun progression and relatable!

It’s worth a watch. Are you familiar with David Firth (guy who did Salad Fingers animations and others). He co-directed it with Flying Lotus. That movie is fucking filth, I love it.

It was inspired by Flying Lotus’ nightmares… but has some of the coolest music/animated sequences throughout it. It’s really quite a trip… if you can stomach it.