Why aren't there more releases?

Interesting, in the old forum I spent more of my time in the Listening Booth, partly because I wanted to be heard, but mostly because I was learning a lot from listening and discussing other peoples tracks; and then when I got feedback to my own tracks I really felt like the LB was a place I “belonged” because I felt useful.

I always made a point of checking out other areas but found it hard to fit in (except for the Composition and Theory threads but those were mostly dead… I think I put the final sword in a few of them…)

Now that everything is new I’m all over the place, because it’s easier to jump in on something new… I guess. I barely have time for the LB… but need to get back to it.

Why aren’t there more releases? Good question… I’ll try to do my part (not a member of the label, but maybe someday?) … but yeah… as others have pointed out. There’s the “quality vs quantity” issue and of course “life happens” to most of us as well. I’m one of the mere mortals that is fortunate enough to have a day job to support my music habit.

So yeah, the covers were my call. Ive made the last 5 and actually really like the xvf cover :slight_smile: Problem with covers is they take time. The label in the past was bogged down by so much nitty gritty it was literally paralyzed. I watched it wither and die over a period of about two years. Again, check previous releases and the associated dates.

So with the cover art we decided to cut the fat meat on that end in favor of getting stuff out. Not sure if you remember or not but releases used to take months and months to get released. Sure the covers looked rad but at what cost? Album titles too took soooooooo long to select that by the time something came out everyone was pissed it took so long.

Release threads getting bumped by…

“Update?”
“Hello?”
“Anyone?”

Remember that? It was really laughable the way much of it was handled. Sure flashy covers would be great but flashy covers take time.

I’m open to kicking the artwork back to the community. I’m not arguing here. Just trying to explain some of the reasoning behind recent Netlabel decisions. We’ve had volunteers to make covers in the past but the other thing is people have a hard time following through. That’s fine, people have lives, we understand that. The goal more recently has been content over presentation because at the end of the day if the music isn’t getting out you don’t have a label.

:slight_smile:

I think this is at the heart of why a measured release schedule makes sense. Though it may always not seem like it, the artist producing the release is just one puzzle piece to putting something out. There’s manpower required at all steps after the product gets handed off, and these people are also mods and admins while also having lives and jobs. There’s only so much they can reasonably do, and letting them keep a schedule that they feel they can keep up with is going to be mandatory when working with limited resources. You really don’t want them rushing it.

It’s also worth pointing out that the quality of those releases, from the music to the mastering to the packaging to the promotion, affects everyone on the label, and to an extent everyone related to IDMf.

I don’t know the process for releases, but I think it’d make sense to put some of that workload on the artist. Showing up with a fully mastered release that has artwork is going to be really attractive to a netlabel, as all they have to do is post it and promote it. Obviously standards need to be kept and some people need help with that stuff, and that’s fine - it’s obviously been part of the package thusfar. But if you feel like there should be more releases on a faster schedule, showing up with a shovel ready package that meets or exceeds quality standards would probably be a good way to make it happen.

Fair enough, but I know that Metaside had a sweet cover for his that was scrapped in favor of the blackness…just sayin. But ok, that was then and now we are talking about it again, so cool. I think the label would be most fairly served by being able to say “no cover delivered by release -2 weeks, we go with a black one.” Then the community could be told in ADVANCE that a particular artist with a particular style is releasing something, and submissions for covers are being accepted. Preferred visual topic is sharks with laserbeams. A title of the release would be required knowledge too.

It would help if there was a media kit for labels made available too. You know, icons, preferred fonts if desired, a basic template or templates of which sizes are required maybe the label color codes…I know from experience (i.e. drunken googling) that a lot of covers are scanned or made at 1417x1417 pixels. but what about banner length shit? or thumbnails? CD backsheets? If that shit is codified on a one-pager of notes the community will surely be able to step up their cover game.

I actually had 5 designs mocked up that I sent in 12 hours after the posting happened. Didn’t ever receive a hard deadline on WHEN the artwork was due… and I thought the ones I mocked up were pretty flashy in some regards (I still sent them to XvF).

I think communication is key. I also liked when we’d all post our own concepts and the community would vote on them, that was fun times.

Speaking of artwork (sorry if this is against the rules, delete if so) I figure I may as well post these concepts as b-sides here, as they are just wasting away on my drive anyhow. I think with the forum going down after I was requested to do it, along with crazy work happening, really got a bit bummed I missed the unknown deadline by 12 hours.

Regardless, none of these may have been chosen anyhow, but I tried to at least mix up the latest release motif. Maybe a little too radically.

If anyone wants to use me in the future, would be happy to produce more. It really wasn’t that labor intense, just done on a fucked up time schedule so it missed the mark.

Those are all very cool!

I find the black label uninspiring… it literally does not entice me to listen.

I do understand the whole coordination and deadline dilemma… you can’t let “cool” get in the way of “done”

It would be great to set up a work flow that allows “cool” to happen in time for “done”

honestly though if it were me at the end of the day i’d care more about the quality of the tracks than the artwork, but that’s just me,… also the philosophy of keeping it simple(in terms of artwork imo) kinda works best with wide demographics…also sometimes too much is too much and can detract from it…

@bfk, we’ve talked with Auto and Relic in the past about doing an official IDMf Beat Battle comp or release of some sort (before the great fall). The main points that we need to meet before such a thing are:

1. Quality

We need to get tracks that are of satisfactory quality for the netlabel’s standards. I’m not terribly concerned about this, as I feel we have some great talent in the BB crew. However, the nature of the Beat Battles, namely a loose, informal, raw and dirty kind of competition, means sometimes the tracks are put together quickly, without lots of mixing and such, which is resolved by allowing artists to polish up their tracks before sending them off to be mastered.

The problem we had tho was that on many tracks the artists no longer had the project files, and weren’t able to polish it up, even just a copy of the master wav.

I think this is easily solved with a disclaimer in the Beat Battle description (which we need to devise a boilerplate description for, but that’s another topic) for participants to hold onto their session files and samples in the event their track is selected for release, so they can go back and clean it up a bit and prepare it for an official submission.

1. Track archival/availability

Old winning tracks disappeared off the internet. We wanted to do a best of reaching as far back as the first Beat Battle (of the Beat Battles v2.0, but that’s more a historical note), but many tracks were missing, winning tracks and others.

This is easily solved as you mentioned, archiving winning tracks. I certainly could add them to the BB archive as we move along, and other people who’d like to archive them as well, the more the better. Redundancy is key, especially in the digital domain.

1. Finally, and probably the biggest thing, Sample Clearance

Before the forum went down, we had talked a lot about this, as this is probably the biggest obstacle. We need samples that are free to use. It’s fun and all taking a popular track and completely chopping it up into something completely different, but we need to protect the label by finding a legitimate and on-board way of finding and distributing samples.

Officially, samples provided in the Beat Battles must be free of copyright and free to use, however, there is little to no process for actually quality checking this. I think finding a way to either build a sample library from member generated samples, or licensing sample libraries for use would be good options here. Obviously, IDMf has very little budget. I wouldn’t expect them to foot the bill for a community project, so we’d have to find a way of either financing it or getting around the finance issue. Again, this must be in a legitimate manner. Doing it in one of these ways, however, would help guarantee the copyright status of the samples. Furthermore, I had an idea on sample submissions that I’ll go into in the Beat Battle Discussion thread.

Aside from this, we’d need some sort of quality checking on samples before making them available.

These are the hurdles we need to get over for a release, and I want to see it happen!

Also, @bfk, I’ve been following the Beat Battles for some time and am dedicated to pushing them forward, feel free to DM me if you want to bounce ideas about this release, as I’d definitely like to see it happen.

other than making some new ammendments in regards to using creative commons samples (from a sample library made by idmf users/and other creative commons sites) and getting permission/consent to use such samples, and archiving winning bb tracks, to the already existing bb rules, like you suggested i think that we both covered most of it…also sent you a dm, happy holidays guys…

If the netlabel is going to focus more on solo releases maybe the community could some how try to jump start group projects and offer them up to Auto / RFJ, and crew. Much like an individual artist would demo their work.

Not a you join the group you’re in type of work but still based on which x number works for a particular. Hell, I’m not even sure the IDMFNetlabel guys would be up for it. Just know it has to be a crippling process to keep track of every time one happens.

I mean just like the BB is community driven, the Beat Tapes were a failed project but there were some neat things that came from it. I felt anyway.

Just throwing an additional idea out.

I don’t have a problem with what the guys are doing. The releases have been stellar so far. And art work wise, I would assume if you’re throwing a demo out, said artist could include their own artwork too.

i dug through your soundcloud, you do have some old bb tracks, digging bb27, bb25, bb26, and the track from thebadspawns

Oh, I have a whole bunch more links saved for either winning or personal selections. Before the old it’s was obliterated, we were talking about a BB release and as they hadn’t been properly documented, I went through and grabbed links for all the winning tracks, and choice selections when the winner link was no longer available.

I can probably share those links somewhere.

That’s awesome IO. Nice planning ahead without knowing the forum would implode. :hugs:

OK, cool, now it seems more possible being that we won’t have to wait a whole year to get some tracks for the best of the BB release, I guess you can either create a thread in the community projects subforum, for the links to the tracks or pm the links to the idmf staff, also I’m curious to hear what you have archived…

Are the links download able or are they just links, if they’re just links then I guess it’s time to get in touch with those who made the track/ find out who is still active, and who doesn’t mind having their track being considered for release

Posted a link in the Beat Battle Discussion thread: Beat Battle Discussion

You’ll have to go through them to see if they’re downloadable. Some of them were direct links, but most were on Soundcloud.

Hey all, I’m closing this as I think the recent State of the Union addressed the OP of this thread. If you really think it needs opened for some reason PM me.