CHLLNG #3: Dub Techno

June 23rd ish due date.

This time around we are making Dub Techno – I’m liking the balance of experimentation against being true to the sound so let us continue down that path.

Post here when finished and I’ll make a playlist thread : )

Started last night, I found this video on techno rumble very helpful. I only have a kick (4 on the floor, sorry not sorry) and some hats right now. 2 minutes of buildup so far, going to start looking at synths yet. Not sure if I’m going to have a bassline or not because the rumble really fills in the bottom end, might just go to atonal FM stabs or something, plus eventide blackhole.

Oh nice! I definitely beed help w that rumble. I often “cheat” and just use a big ol’ 808 and call it a day lol

OH RLLY??

:gets Cminor ready at the helm:

I had nothing doing, so I started it this weekend. So far it’s all hardware (2 drum machines and an FM synth) and myself playing bass. Let’s see how this goes :thinking:

Nice! I might have to bust out some extra gear for this one…

Im done

I think I’m done. Going to wait to master it with fresh ears and upload probably over the weekend. I also might get some other ideas.

Haha. Wow. Yall are fast! I have two evenings to my self this weekend so Ill be on it.

Also I swear I will comment on the last bunch!

I made this sort of generative Ableton session that is churning out little fluffy clouds of dub techno, it sounds nice but needs some refining.

I’ll make some tweaks and see if I can dial it in a bit before rendering a version.

That track I was working on last weekend, I did end up finishing a few days ago, but it’s more downtempo than dub techno.
It came out pretty cool, but doesn’t fit this challenge unfortunately, so back to the drawing board for me.

I may do another revision of this or submit something else entirely if I come up with a substantially different/better idea. As it is, I think this is fine, but a little too obviously structured.

The techno aspect is this is the most drum dominated song I’ve ever done, only the bass (which is partly microtonal with a few notes fine tuned to the frequency I heard in my head by ear) and the atonal FM chord stab (which wasn’t atonal enough for me so I put it through a multiband frequency shifter and shifted the bands around by random amounts that are all modulated throughout the song) aren’t drums, and there’s definitely no melody.

As for the dub aspect, the kick is going to a send with delay that is filtered out most of the time, but that filter does get modulated throughout the song. The snare is an obvious delay modulation target, so I play with that one, though in some parts it gets a bit wonky for my taste, I kept it in because dub. Those atonal FM stabs are also interesting, that sound is going to 3 different sends - a short narrow dark reverb, then as soon as that one dies, a longer brighter wider reverb, and then that is gated and sent into a delay to fill in some of the space between stabs that the reverb just couldn’t reach. All the rest of the sounds (hihats and bass) are going into a shared reverb just to give everything a sense of space, a little heavy on the verb, but I felt it fit in this case.

I tried synthesizing a digeridoo and making a complementary digeridoo rhythym to the beat…

Cause dub techno could use some digeridoo…lol imo.

I’m around ya’ll. Keep on truckin’ (or something).

Can someone refresh my memory, when is the deadline for this submission?

23 June (ish)

I am trying to hang in there ya’ll. Don’t know if I’ll submit to this one, but I am dedicated to running this : )

If we get enough tracks from all these bass oriented challenges maybe we can make an bass anthology mark 2 idmf release…maybe or something.

Idk…im not dictating just thinking out loud.

Hello guys ! :stuck_out_tongue:

@White_Noise OMG Nice Intro ; Solid pressure

Wubba lubba dub dub.

Saying it because of the word dub

Yea if everyone wants to hold on to their tracks we can definitely do something even if it isn’t an official official release. I could possibly do a DJ mix as well.