Thoughts about darkness and mysticism in modern electronic music

I’m a huge fan of darkness. I read things on esoterism, mysticism, Lovecraft, I listen to some weird pagan, dark ambient (Lustmord etc), black metal, creepy noise (Camecrude & other Cioran Records releases)…

It seems I never find this kind of darkness in electronic music. It feels like… I dunno, light darkness.

I would like to listen some electronic music really inspired by darkness, old myths, and stuff.

If you have ideas, feel free to give links :slight_smile:

Maybe you should listen to Dark Techno? :smiley_cat:

Anytime the idea of mystical kind of ritual dark ambient stuff comes up, this album is my immediate go-to. haha.

I assume you know Cryo Chamber…?

Or Phantasma Disques? If not, you’re sorted for a long time!

Other random thoughts: Sopor Aeternus, Offermose, The Thing with Five Eyes, Den Sorte DØd, etc.

Heilung and witch house

You could check out the Dungeon Synth scene, lots of mysticism there. Maybe not musically what you are looking for though. There is definitely a lot of Dark Ambient and other electronicy off-shoots of the black metal scene, though there also tends to be a lot of unironic nazi sympathy as a result of the links to BM.

Unrelated to all that though: Zaliva-D, definitely one of my fave Chinese electronic acts. Very dark, evil industrial sound, but they come at the evil/occult angle from a Tibbetan Buddhist angle. Lots of prayer chant and musical references to funeral rites. They used to have a lot more lyrical content specifically about Buddhist folklore deamons coming into the modern world through electronic music, but I can’t find any of that stuff online anymore

Was it with you that I was discussing Heilung not too long ago? Their live show is absolutely mind-blowing. Haven’t witnessed something that powerful in a long, long time. 10/10 would recommend etc.

@saltmarket Holy Moses Batman, this is VERY cool. I shall investigate them further :smiley:

Hey!

Yeah I’m a fan of dark sounding stuff, too. Though, I’ve not actively searched for it, but I like it when it comes along in a form I can connect to.

Though, I do know there’s a lot of it if you look for it.

In terms of electronic music, here are a few I can name that have a darkness or dark mysticism to them - though some of them through a more psychedelic lens. Though you might have heard of most of these:

• Shpongle - Walking Backwards Through The Cosmic Mirror (one of my friends couldn’t quite handle this one when we were getting trippy, too edgy for some in that mindset)
  • Squarepusher - The Metallurgist
  • Squarepusher - F-Train
  • Dr. Bastardo - Mocne - Original Mix
  • Burial - Ghost Hardware

I know I’ve got other dark sounding tracks somewhere in my mazelists - if I find them I’ll post them.

I have a spare Bandcamp download code for this one:

If anybody wants it, just reply to this and I’ll message it to you.

I think my friend, If you haven’t already checked it out, you would very much enjoy The Haxan Cloak.

Here’s one of my favorites from his most recent album.

Also, Hecq. Night Falls is a particularly good album. Dis is my favorite track. It’s very… well… I’m not really sure how to explain it. Gives me chills every damn time.

For this track I would deff recommend good headphones and a dark room. Sit in a chair and be consumed by the void.

I completely forgotten the existence of idmf since a few months ><

Thanks ! @morphic maybe, I remember watching a Heilung liveshow a few months ago. Was great, and the sound guy was on point. Deep and immersive. I have to find that link.

@saltmarket wow, that’s awesome. I love Tibbetan chants. I’ll dig into this

@psyber wow, I listened a lot to every artist you quoted but not these albums. Finally, new Burial :metal:

@makeuswhole big fan of the Void. I know Hecq and Haxan Cloak by name, from a time when I was listening to Lustmord a lot, but never listened. “Dis” is really incredible !

Look up a band called Satanismo Calibro 9 or SC9, dark heavy ritual stuff.

Nin and marilyn manson.

Zaliva-D fucking rules

also check Gabber Modus Operandi - Sangkakala

for some reason i cant include links in my posts but look for the tune above

also check Surachai

this is like if richard devine and black metal had a child

No thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

I think richard Devine makes soulless music. And I’m so not into black metal at all…

I like grunge and indie better.

But that’s just me…

Grunge to me is soundgarden…
Nirvana should of been an indie band similar to rem.

Wow that went way off topic sorry lol I’ll see myself out this thread lol.

However i do like proto punk of the 80s like black flag and bad brains bad brains I can only take in small doses.

yeah i like grunge too .Soundgarden Alice in Chains … The Melvins etc

the initial topic is : thoughts about darkness and mysticism in modern electronic music

so i tried to recommend something that i like in that sort of vibe :slight_smile:

regarding your

i’m 50/50 with you on that statement . after watching this interview piece and getting to know a bit more what is he going after with his sound design and composition makes total sense that his music might sound alien and soulless to most people .

i cant include links in my posts but here is the title if you want to look it up on YouTube

# The most human RICHARD DEVINE Interview on machines | Gamechanger Audio