The thread for mixing for different file formats

sort of ran into this problem with my shitty glitch/idm tutorial track that i made…i finally got the mix where i want it, but when I convert the file into different formats, say mp4 for youtube it sounds like shit…

granted im not the best at mixing and my setup is very limited…

but anyways when i uploaded the track onto dropbox it sounded like the original wav format output by my daw on my headphones, the sound quality wasn’t degraded because of file reformatting…

also keep in mind that the track in question has a lot of movement in the stereo field, due to varying degrees of stereo seperation and some other stuff

so is the degrading of sound quality due to the nature of the stereo field of the track, my shit mixing skills, or is it due to the source code of the file reformatting…

and in either of the cases, what would you suggest i keep in mind as a future reference…

Are you converting a video from one thing to another? Or rendering a new project with original video and original audio?

Are you converting a wave, an MP3?

And is it possible it may be converting to mono?

Do you have audio files so we can compare?

Actually, if I understand you correctly. I wouldn’t just convert the audio into mp4 format. From the small amount of things I’m reading, YouTube isn’t really set up to do that. Maybe that’s fouling it up.

So maybe render the audio in the format with some type of image for the length of it. Might be worth a try.

There are some plugins that allow to preview the compression into different formats including codec artifacts, such as Ozone. Never tried that level of review and finetuning though, I just hope for the best tbh…

I heard that before, too, and would tend to agree. Not sure about it though. It depends, if the site just takes everything and puts it through some recoding thing, regardless if it’s already in the right format. i remember I read somewhere to take the best quality file in such cases, but not sure what would really be the best approach…

With youtube, the number one problem I have is aliasing. Doesn’t matter how HQ you say you want your upload to be, it’s going to be pretty significantly band limited in my experience. To prevent that as much as you can, just put a lowpass filter on your master and start at around 16k. If that doesn’t do it, keep going down. I find that by 12k you shouldn’t really be dealing with the aliasing anymore.

I’m sure youtube is going to do more than that, but what is really anyone’s guess and is also constantly changing.

Also, are you leaving headroom in your original master? Conversion from WAV to lossy formats can eat up a db of headroom or more, so suddenly you’re clipping and distorting where you didn’t expect it. I leave 1.5db of headroom in my masters so that I don’t have to worry about that in pretty much any but the worst case of having the file converted multiple times from one lossy format to another.

@xFREDxDURST I posted the tutorial track in the lb thread what did you create today

@bbb converting wave to mp4 video then uploading the mp4 onto YouTube…

@White_Noise no compression on the track lots a gain staging and busing and eq though, I didn’t lo pass it at 16k, there is some parts where I suspect it peaks at 0dbs

but here is the yt link anyways so you guys can compare the shittiness and pinpoint where i went wrong

That sounds mostly like aliasing to me. Just lowpass it around 15-16k and a lot of that is going to clear up. When digital audio aliases, it doesn’t just get cut off. Instead it wraps around, so a tone at 17khz when you can actually play a maximum of 16k plays at 15k. Your cutoff becomes a mirror and everything that would be above it gets flipped and put below it. That means all your harmonics or, in your case, your noise patterns, get flipped too. I don’t know what happens to stereo field info, but I’m sure it’s not good when parts of it are getting flipped and parts are being left alone.

Thank you @white_noise :blush: