The power of macros

Macro automations am i right?

Or am i right?

On a serious note…

Sometimes it uses a lot of cpu to which i just use edison to bounce and freeze, by re recording it as a sample.

Other times i make macros out of stock plugins to conserve cpu usage…

What are some of your favorite macro combinations?

Mine is granular synthesizer + gross beat + love philter + regular filter + compression.

I don’t use a ton of macros, and most often I use them more in a hardware context. The one I use most is when I modulate filter cutoff, I’ll have the same mod also bump up filter resonance a bit as the filter opens up. It just adds an extra layer of movement when you’re after a dramatic sweep, and it makes the bright parts of the filter a bit extra bright. It can be subtle or obvious, and it will usually sound good to some extent.

I try to use macros to achieve certain sound effects.

Like for sytrus i try to make two bass patches in one…

Like have the 1st 3 oscillators be one sound with one set of macros controlling the amount fm modulation, the phase, or the volume of the fm modulator and with the remaining 3 oscillators a different sound with a different set of modulations.

Then i direct the output of sound A to filter 1 and sound B to filter 2…and have different automations for each filter and the use the xy pad in sytrus to do both the macro automations and to switch between sound A and sound B by controlling the volume output with the xy pad in sytrus…

After that i just apply compression and love philter for custom gates… and gross beat to get glitch wubs…and then i sidechain it to a kick.

Or to control a wall of noise post rock sound by controlling the reverb parameters and distortion level in conjuction with a limiter and/or compression.

So thats how i use macros.