The Hardware Megathread

For what it’s worth, apparently VCO analog synths are really stable at 10 degrees F.

I only know this because I froze my ass off on an outdoor show in Vail Colorado last night and was “praying” nothing went sideways.

At 98 degrees F a MS20 full size completely shits the bed and a Prophet 6 refuses to calibrate to 100%.

Everyone, build an ice cave.

Well I’m glad I haven’t had time to even go look at my studio recently. The weather has been jumping between 30 F and 55 F day to day and we had tornadoes touch down in Kentucky and Ohio in DECEMBER. Suuuuuuure climate change isn’t a thing…

Last night I pre-ordered a Twisted Electrons Blast Beats, its a new FM Drum Machine made with a 1988 Yamaha FM chip YMF-262 that you used to find in Soundblaster sound cards.
They are doing a limited first run with the intension of shipping by Feb’22, £533 I couldn’t resist as it sounds like 90’s IDM out of the box.

https://www.twisted-electrons1.com/

Damn. We’ve been doing the 40s-50s to 80s jump here in Texas. Had some bad storms but no tornados that I know of.

In other news, Behringer finally got back to me and told me the Wasp manual is a typo and it draws 12W, not 2, and that I should refer to the back of the unit and the power supplies; about what I expected them to say. It’s a pretty generic/CYA sort of answer.

Meanwhile, my Wasp and K-2 seem to happily exist on a +12V rail that’s rated for 2.2A. According to ModularGrid my rack should be drawing 2.3A on the +12V rail if the Wasp is indeed 1A :eyes: I don’t know anymore. I’ve literally had the K-2 and Wasp singing on all oscillators at once with the volume up pretty high and everything just keeps going. I can’t help but think back to the Mother-32 and its 1A power supply wall wart, while only drawing 230mA from a eurorack +12V supply. Even Behringer’s own Neutron is rated at 750mA and has a similar architecture.

I don’t want to run my power supply at maximum firepower, either, and overheat it. I also have a hard time believing these things designed to be eurorack mountable draw 1A. There are some “big VCOs” that draw more than an entire Mother 32, though, too. Have I mentioned I worry a lot and often talk myself out of things for no reason? XD

That sounds great. And a section of their YouTube trailer is literally called “90s IDM” :smile: But I have no monies for something like this atm. Alas… I also wanted a Deton8 and HapiNES, too. And a MegaFM…

Joranalogue makes a DIY kit to plug inline with a eurorack power supply, and you can power modules off it to get a read on their current draw. My solution to this power conundrum has become clear…

https://joranalogue.com/collections/eurorack/products/test-3

Edit1 I also found a tutorial on DIYing a cable that converts v-trig to godless s-trig, it’s just a resistor and a capacitor soldered in with the jacks. That should be easy enough to make work.

Edit 2 The cheapest I’ve found the Test 3 kit is $70 without a panel, which is fine, if a place stocks it at all… $95-$120 with a panel which is just a no from me.

The weather was so insane here in Ohio, they were telling some people to sleep in a sheltered area of their homes.

@canecreek that looks really cool.

I have a really old BBE Sonic Maximizer 262 laying around. I might have to try it on drums or a synth or two…

I’ve been watching the news of the terrible devastation in Kentucky, my thoughts are with those people.

I didn’t realize how bad it was until seeing your comment and taking a peek at the news. Same from me, that’s such a terrible thing to happen, and so bizarre for December even in the MW and south.

Hello MicroFreak case/module…

https://www.3dwaves.net/products/microfreak-enclosure

That sounds really good!

I opened my ailing Yamaha TX16W that says “Memory Failure” when I power it on (and the RAM has been replaced twice). I bought it for cheap off Reverb hoping it was as simple as replacing the RAM for a nice score… Nope, that didn’t happen lol (and the guy packed it like absolute garbage and then ghosted me :eyes: ). Still under the price of them selling currently if I can get it to work, but I have no idea what I’m looking at either :eyes: I was told it’s probably something between the RAM and the CPU which is potentially the YM2409 chip that reads waveforms from RAM, it generates the voices. So I guess I need to learn how to check digital chips for function (somehow), as I can buy the chip itself still. There’s a few boards inside this thing, and as a whole it looks really great; the only dust internally is on the power supply board (which I cleaned up with some air). There’s two large electrolytic capacitors on the power supply board that either leaked or were glued down somehow; there’s no space between them and the board itself so it’s hard to tell, and the possible leak didn’t go far at all which is why I thought it might be some sort of glue. The sampler powers up and seems okay. I guess I could replace those caps just to be on the safe side; it’s from 1987/88 after-all…

Edit 1 All the really big caps on the power board have this brown stuff there and are solidly on the board like they’ve been glued in place.

Edit2 The insides of someone else’s TX16W had the same brown stuff and didn’t recap, everything measured properly…

Looks good, but I really like having that keyboard

yeah, as much as I like modules, with the MicroFreak that keyboard has uses from my understanding.

I consider myself pretty savvy but for the life of me i cannot sort out the Access Virus multimode.

I spent this AM creating HW versions of my Serum patches for this liveset i am building and that part went ok, passable, but not 100%. I’ve put the virus in multimode - ch2 is playing back my arp just fine, but on any other channels it just outputs horrible noise.

im going to say that this thing is likely buggy, cause… WTF??? This isnt rocket surgery I’m attempting…

edit: anyone got an access virus B/Classic and have a few minutes to discuss?

not if i smash it first.

i need to get this very ROUTINE thing going before I post up any video. something just isn’t right here.

OK sorted out the issue.

When i got this unit used it needed a new lithium battery. Apparently when it died (the battery) it fuqed the multimode settings. each channel has a key range so one can do performance stuff, bass on left hand pad on right… you get it.

when the battery died (im guessing) the key ranges got flip flopped so the low range was C8 and the high range was C-2 so no midi was triggering the instruments in range. this is either a battery thing or the prior owner didnt know what the fuq they were doing and was just mashing buttons hoping to get it to work.

this thing is still a bit screwwy but i can get what i want out of it currently.

sweet, the USPS is delivering my crusty old mixer a day early. Godless Fedex basically never does that (tbh they are my least favorite shipping company), because they are not god-fearing and righteous like the godly USPS who regularly delivers early (I’m being facetious here… sorry in advance if I offend anyone). Fedex is late sometimes.

I can’t wait to tear into it tomorrow :smile: It’ll be a welcome change from this f’ing sampler I have no idea what to do with…

Here we have a few couriers that are synonyms with shit services. I always end up paying a little extra for the ones I know won’t let me down or force me to chase my parcel somewhere in my neighbourhood