The Hardware Megathread

Fixed.

(Been a while since we had one of those, right? :smiley:

its been ages lol : )

No, no, no…thank you guys.

I feel attacked.

That hurts.

I was not aware that Rossum was making an SP1200 “reissue” that’s allegedly mostly identical internally and selling them for $4000. Oof.

Interesting he chose to do it around the same timeframe as the Isla S2400 :eyes: More or less, at least…

I don’t think it’s so much one was looking at the other and trying to get in on their action, I just think the market in general is going that way right now. After a decade of largely focusing on analog, digital is starting to come back in vogue, but bonus points if you can give the customer retro digital with all the dirt that entails.

that’s fair. I’m curious to see if Arturia will jump into the fray with more than the Micro Freak. They made a pretty strong analog showing, but a lot of digital is definitely out there, now, and more seem to keep coming. Korg, Modal, Nord, ASM, Roland, etc.

They could do a digital with their Steiner Parker filter, or a sampler/sampling drum machine with that filter, call it a Sample Brute or something. They have all the parts they need in various product lines to make something pretty great, if it’s on their roadmap or in their desires.

I’d even be okay with some 84-88hp monster that takes up an entire row in a Rack Brute enclosure :eyes:

My latest 4 bars are the shit though, loving every beat…
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CW6lJukFEWh/?utm_medium=copy_link

I’d like to see Arturia do something along the lines of a Polybrute with digital oscillators. Or a full polyphonic version of the Microfreak. And I wonder if Sequential is considering anything more digital, since they have the Prophet VS in their back-catalog, they just got picked up by Focusrite/Novation, and the P12 is getting pretty long in the tooth.

I was briefly interested in the Vectorsynth, which looks really fun from a performance aspect - but I can’t wrap my head around how the actual synthesis works after reading the manual twice. Either I don’t get something or that thing is a one-trick pony. I think the manual even says they’re running the synth inside a Linux OS running on an ARM processor, and at that point I wonder why that thing isn’t a VST because I would probably spend 100 bucks on that in a heartbeat, but $900 to wait for a hardware unit is a tougher sell.

Other than that, I keep looking at the Waldorf Iridium every few months and I keep telling myself I should just use all the VSTs and the DAW I have to get my FM, WT, sampling, additive, granular fix. Then I go look at semi-modular stuff instead until I get hung up on the lack of saving presets, then I go back to looking at digital stuff. I’m OK, I swear.

Octatrack plus Sub37 - industrial music

Some may forget that Arturia’s first venture into hardware synths was actually a digital synth, the origin.

To be honest, a drum freak would make me really happy. A MicroFreak, multi voices with controls optimised for percussions…

https://www.instagram.com/p/CW693uMlejS/?utm_medium=copy_link

I did forget about the Origin, even though I can picture it in my head now. I think they were pretty rare?

Not so much rare but at over 3 grand it was a hard sell I guess.

For 3 grand it also sounded like what it was, a hardware version of their softsynths.

I had the opportunity to play one and it was… lackluster.

Anderson’s UK just happened to have one Strymon Starlab instock, ordered, thats my Xmas present to myself.

The heresy.
I’ve been trying a new workflow and it involves Ableton Live.

I’m still controlling everything from the MPC in standalone mode, but Live is sync’d to it via midi and the audio out from my Soundcard to the MPC. Now I can do some additional sound design in Live, sequence on the mpc, resample when I don’t want/don’t need the computer…

The wavetable synth played with the aftertouch pads of the mpc really comes alive…