Pandemic social distancing diary thread

#coronacut Finally couldn’t take it and took my beard scissors to my head…my better half will help me clean up the back.

It’s crazy to think that it’s already been almost two months of this (at least for me). I WILL say this, despite not really doing anything exciting, the time is going fast.

I’ve spent the past few days raking my fucking brain in blender making a video experiment with one of ms’s tunes.

I think I’m in the final stages of composition now but holy FUCK the levels of particle animation madness and camera work in this thing was agonizing.

After many many hours of tweaks and tests, I think the scene is finally pullin’ together! Less resource intensive than I thought, just under 3 minutes of video should be about a 7hr render. Nice.

Makes for some pretty nice screenshots too.

Yea, we started isolating after the Univ of Akron closed campus on like March 13th?

That’s the date shit started going down around here. Probably earlier for some.

I’m working on a NSFW collage called “Snuggle.” I quite like it. Bed time. Gotta go to work in a few hours…

Got out for the first time since ease of lockdown yesterday to meetup and play some music. I hate to spoil it for you, but nothing’s changed, the world is still the same, people are still getting fucked up and yelling in the streets at 4 in the afternoon, still looking at their phones while walking on the bike lane, everything just stayed the same ! it’s no new world, don’t believe what you read on the anticapitalist dot com

My screen has been shipped. FUCK YES.

Now I just need the cords to plug into my harddrive and transfer music stuff.

My interface doesn’t work with Windows ten, but that thing was a finicky piece of shit anyway.

Tonight’s plan: Play a hell of a lot of Gravity Rush 2

Apparently, they’ve extended the Los Angeles lockdown to the end of July. I’m mostly bummed because that means I don’t get to do 4th of July, which is my summer holiday. It’s kinda like summer christmas, but with the smell of gunpowder.

hahahaha

man, you ever lived out in suburban but rural adjacent MAGA land? as soon as it gets warm and the fireworks stores are allowed to be open it’ll 4th of July every weekend here until September…I don’t know how these poor ass hill rods afford it but its like fireworks and booze every damn weekend

Yeah, I’ve been out of state for fireworks a few times, long ago. TBH they’re pretty cheap out of state from what I remember. They’re more expensive here because we don’t have stores set up. Instead, a bunch of charities and youth groups and stuff rent these flat-pack stores that come on a truck and set them up in parking lots. Then you go and buy the safe and sane california legal stuff from them at a markup, but you get to support local organizations and it is a tax write-off as a charitable contribution. We go to the same Downey Youth Little League booth every year and we by ourselves are like half their sales. So they hook us up, usually take off sales tax and a decent discount off the top. Like, we buy our safe’n’sane Fire Crackle (which is like a super toned down string of fire crackers) by the 30-box brick. We have to make sure other people can still buy stuff when we’re done.

Anyways, out of state you just walk into the TNT or Black Cat or whatever, which I assume is owned by the manufacturers or subsidized by them, so you basically get factory direct pricing, relatively speaking. From what I remember, stuff is like 1/2 to 1/3 cost for roughly equivalent stuff, usually bigger and better than the California stuff.

Japan has amazing fireworks.

Ah well, everything here is cancelled for a while now, too. Better get used to it. :stuck_out_tongue:

New dude at work from third shift is a big music geek, so today I gave him a CD of my Devil Dance EP with a bonus track. He was fuckin stoked.

I’ve been listening back to that one recently with the new headphones, and I like it more now than when it came out. There’s some really good writing in the second half that slipped by me last year.

Laptop screen arrived. Ohhhh baby. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Glossy, not matt, but I didn’t have the option aaaaand you can’t beat sixty bucks. Gonna finish and scan this collage first, then get to that later.

Next week it’s back to ten hour shifts in 80 degree weather in non aircondintioned factory…or so they say. Plus facemasks…this should be interesting, I’ll be switching to a face shield at work if it gets bad. Otherwise we’re all in high spirits. Good to be back on my old line, even if it’s at a spot that requires extremely fast movement and a lot of pressure (and I’ve never worked it at the speed that is now expected, but I’ve gotten better over the past week). At least my old manager has gotten off my case and it’s not the fucking wrapper. Ugh, PLEASE don’t put me on the wrapper, give me that scrap saw so I can actually converse with people who show up now and again! We’ll see, every week/day/hour has been a new adventure.

At least I’m getting paid, which is more than I can say about a lot of people in town…

Thank you so much! The first three tracks were quite personal at the time (and especially the third…ohhhhh boy), so I feel like I put more energy into them. The last two were repurposed from very old material. The last one is a song I’ve made and released in multiple versions since I was 16, and I finally, FINALLY nailed it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

A few months ago, my ex-wife sent me my CD collection that I left in Japan. I got four Melt-Banana CDs in there, plus a bunch of other crap I had totally forgotten about. I still say Teeny Shiny is their best. That band is (was?) a fucking beast.

Also got some OOIOO and Boredons and all that jazz

Fireworks are weird here. You can buy them legally but you can’t legally use them in Ohio (fuckin’ Ohio). In fact you have to sign something saying you promise to get them out of the state within a certain number of days. But everyone sets them off anyway.

I think we might have some kind of obscene tax on them? I remember when I was in high school so like 25 years ago LMAO…I spent like $200 on fireworks one 4th and I was done in like 15-20 minutes.

In other news…I’m going to fucking die from Covid at my new job. No one in that town is wearing a mask and they are acting like nothing is going on. Some motherfucker walked right up to me w/o a mask and shoved his hand in my face and when I just stood there he goes “oh I guess we aren’t shaking hands anymore” real sarcastic like.

Ohio let bars and restaurants with patios open up yesterday w social distancing. Every fucking fool was crammed into every fucking bar patio I could see on my way home. Saw a picture of a bar in Columbus (state capitol) that had shoulder to shoulder people on their patio.

I know not everyone dies from it but it almost seems random who does and doesn’t. And having had walking pneumonia I wouldn’t want to go through something like that again even in the comfort of my home.

Thankfully my boss was able to get us some masks he uses in silversmithing whose replaceable filters are rated higher than N95 to wear at work. He uses them for some process that makes a shit loud of fumes.

OH whutt, are you not teaching anymore?!

oh I no, I am! I’m an adjunct (part time) instructor and don’t get paid very well so I can’t afford to take the summer off, I just usually get some retail job in the summer. For a long time I worked at this motorcycle leather shop but they closed at the end of last fall.

although I’m slowly working my way to try and work full time for the web company I do freelance writing for.

Wrote more music. I like it.