Sonarworks Headphone and studio Reference Software

Hello Everyone,

Good to be back on the new forum, nice one for setting that up again. You know who you are!

Anyways, I’ve been in a rut of late because the rooms I’ve had my studio set up in have not been treated. The rooms have also been square and horrid with standing waves a plenty. This has meant my monitoring has been so badly tainted that everything I’ve been producing is crap. From sound design session, all the way to finished produce. This has meant a lot of back and forth with my mastering engineer and has caused so much frustration.

That was the problem, now I’ll present the solution and it’s called Sonarworks. I purchased a pair of Shure 1840 Open back headphones which were individually calibrated. My mixes have been perfect ever since using the calibration and software. It basically puts a filter on the master output to correct the errors the physical headphones create so I’m hearing a completely flat response.

If you have these types of problems where your mixes are not translating. Look up this company. It’s amazing!

Someone posted this (maybe you?) on the old forum and I’ve been trying to track down the name of it ever since. Thanks for bringing it up again

I think @chasedobson started the old thread and used Sonarworks quite a bit. Maybe he’ll lay his thoughts on us now that a few years have passed.

No worries guys,

I’ve been producing for over a decade and I think this is the single most important piece of software to be released if you are creating for commercial use or mastering music. I feel like a sales man right now but it really is incredible. The studio edition with reference microphone corrects the frequencies but doesn’t stop forward delay affects from the room and other errors, careful with those transients. You can cross check on other systems to see past these problems.

I’m still using Sonarworks daily, and at risk of sounding like a salesman, it has been a game changer.

The analogy I use most is comparing it to live sound speaker processing. On a arena or stadium tour, the act brings in and sets up their own PA. Due to the constantly different environment the PA is placed one needs to eq, and time align to compensate for the physical space, basically taking measures to ensure that the PA is as accurate as it can be in a given venue. Sonarworks is doing exactly that for ones studio space.

Not long ago i upgraded to V4 and its got some great new features including midi control, wet/dry amount, and a 0 latency mode.

I remember you mentioning you’d played around with recreating the curves in your daw. How did that work, and what made you stick with Sonarworks over doing it that way? Just ease of use?

ease of use, and i felt like Sonarworks made more precise eq moves.