Musicing while your high as fuck

Share your experience, debate the pros and cons…even smoke a bowl and post the result of your drug induced jam sessions in this thread…

I can’t do much of anything while buzzed or high, unfortunately. All inspiration goes down the toilet and I usually have to stop jamming instead of getting super inspired like everybody else. Drugs just turn me into a spectator for the most part, but the music appreciation goes way up.

On the negative side, it can even make Puddle of Mudd or Phish sound pretty good

Years ago, when I was actively writing music under the moniker Digital Ghost, I was always hella ripped.

I always look back on that music with fondness, as I can remember all of the ideas I was having at the time and really liked the direction I was trying to take things. I still believe to this day that writing stoned gave me a lot of those ideas.

But all of that music was mixed so poorly that it’s almost completely unlistenable. Now, I do believe that a lot of that was an experience issue as well as a monitoring hardware issue. For me, I think blazing then working on music robbed me of my ability (and patience) to make critical choices.

I haven’t smoked for years now, though sometimes I drink. I remember reading an issue of revolver magazine from the mid-2000s where Trent Reznor was talking about being worried that being sober would rob him of his ideas, but it turned out that his concerns were for nothing. I felt had the same concerns, but they also turned out to be for naught. The combination of experience and sobriety has helped me to start producing the kind of music I can be proud of.

Now I write first and have cocktails (or beer) after. so cheers to that.

Lol same here.

Its a thin, thin line between getting loose and too buzzed to be fully effective.

Invent buzzed, revise sober.

Being high puts me in loop mode aka tweaking an 8 bar loop ad nauseum.

If I get the beer/herb buzz just right I can really get cooking on the dj setup. But I always ruin it bc Im having fun and want another toke eventually.

Music, by definition, is occupied by people who are high.

If your only producing when you are high…then you need to produce when your sober.

Producing when sober is harder but it’s more rewarding creatively.

I miss bandcoach…

Whatever gets you in the right headspace, as long as you can stay focused and aren’t so baked it’s an impairment then it can be inspiring. I’d just say produce as much as possible, if you happen to be high when it’s happening cool, if not, cool.

I enjoy jamming high and mixing high… I can really get in a groove and the ideas flow. When I listen back sober it sounds just as good… but some of those ideas have disappeared or are not as intriguing.

What I can’t do high is study a new piece of written music… or untangle a new way of fingering an exotic arpeggio on the guitar or piano… those kinds of tasks take analytical concentration. :sunglasses:

Good luck, we’d love to hear you play sometime.

Pleased to meet you @murphybridget :sunglasses::v:

To here me play… Check out the Listening Booth

Or https://soundcloud.com/1roomstudio