How has the technical side of music translated into a creative vision for you?

Im curious to hear what the relationship between the technical aspect of music (or art in general) and the actual creation of it has been for y’all? Did you learn the fundamentals of music theory, production etc. and build a foundation of skills/knowledge that could be applied to whatever you chose to create… or do you start with a creative vision and then acquire the knowledge/skills to execute that vision?**

I defo started out with creative vision and learned along the way. I can’t imagine just trying to learn mixing and theory outside of making something I care about.

Started playing/learning bass guitar aged 12. Switched to guitar at 15. Went to a “rock” music school (“rock” in that we didn’t learn how to read music on paper, for example, or spend hours on theory; but of course we would learn scales, to the extent we wanted… it was simply not your usual music school) where I could rehearse/play live with various bands. Also did some drum learning/practice.

Fun fact: I chose not to learn any usual rock/pop songs because I didn’t want to be influenced or just copy what everybody else would do. I constantly created my own music. In hindsight, it was a bad and a good decision. I didn’t realize I was limiting myself.

Electronic music, mixing, mastering: I’ve taught myself along the way, couple decades later. Still need to learn a LOT about all this. For the longest time, while I loved electronic music, how sounds were created with a synth was a total mystery to me. This was bothering me, haha.

I’m not interested in spending hours on creating the perfect patch or whatever - there are so many amazing sounds available these days. A little tweaking is fun though. I create music based on emotion/feelings the songs generate as I develop them :slight_smile:

All I knew how to do properly was drum when I originally started using computers and DAWs, and the technical side of things has brought all sorts of things to life for me that wouldn’t have ever happened otherwise. I think it’s fair to say that all of my projects or visions have evolved from the technology available, and not the other way around.

Now whenever I start a project or song, I let the ‘machines’ help write it. Why not?

There is this great video interview of Jim Morrison (maybe on Carson) where he says in the future music will be made by one person in a room full of machines (paraphrase).

Isn’t that the beauty of the world we live in? We can be Beethoven and we don’t even need an Orchestra to realize our dreams? Poor motherfucker sawed the legs off his piano so he could put his ear to the floor to hear it and we have DAWs.

I’m feeling really weird after a terrible night but we should all be sincerely grateful for what we can do on a laptop now however we start and however we finish

I started with a vision, learned how to execute it (sound design, mixing, mastering, etc), and I found that what I could accomplish easily with what I’d learned impacted my work. Originally, I intended to be a sort of cross between Justice and pop (with lyrics and all). I quickly found that I wasn’t very good at writing that stuff, so I transitioned to instrumental work, still inspired by Justice. Then I found that things sounded much better if I didn’t try and make everything so dirty that it blew up speakers. Now I make very clean, instrumental house and deep house, because I’ve learned to use my tools to execute that creative vision easily. Or maybe because I ended up focusing on house, I’ve figured out how to make my tools do that.