A Random persons thoughts about idmf

Well…I’ll keep this short…

I know I’m one to talk…

Insert negative past history drama stuff…cringes.

Take away learn from past mistakes and from others successes and failures as well as your own.

Positives…
Even though the secret of computer music has been cracked…and discord has become the new platform…and the forum…a library…of various “stuff”
Some of that stuff is useful knowledge.

Not going to get all existential…cause we did that

And we also did that and that and this, etc…

To me what has always worked

1. Helping others to cultivate their art…
  2. Growing as an artist by sharing techniques and processes…
  3. Lil bit of hanging out but not too much.
  4. Common sense.
  5. Art discussion and appreciation.

To me this is what kept this place going through
All the years and all the internet behavior…

And in my opinion these five things will ensure this communities survival.

That’s all peeps.

Just some random persons perspective.

Good luck and thank you for tolerating me.

Speaking of Discord, I just saw this:

If you want access to IDMf Discord, just massage a mod for an invitation :slight_smile:

hahahaha thanks I’ll pass then

I made quite a few real friends here, people that I still talk to almost every day (virtually) years later. It’s about the learning and music but for me it was and still is just being social and making buds fo lyfe with peeps that i respect and relate to in various ways. I havent grown as an artist much unfortunately though. Thats probably something that most people think they have to work on indefinitely (or maybe not). I agree totally. We could totally make this forum a raging keg party of great minds again, never give up. I cant lament people who moved on but i do hope they at least came away with good memories and it helped them out musically and lifely.

In time it may be relaxed but the automatic entry process was being abused by someone on a mission to be as obnoxious as possible to as many people as possible. Unfortunately its always the way that the majority suffer because of the few.

Read the header post again Roo

At least it doesn’t mention “happy ending”!

It is just a forum and we are old school.

I went to Discord … after the Bad Thing That Didn’t Happen… to try to find everyone and ask WTF?

I didn’t like it… it reminded me of AOL chat rooms back in the day… lots of dicks dicking around…

Once the forum came back I ditched Discord… I really enjoy the camaraderie here … and the sense of loose but productive organization.

What is the attraction to Discord? Am I missing something? :man_shrugging:

It started out pretty much as gamer comms but has expanded to be used for other things. I use it for computer gaming and pen ‘n’ paper RPGs as well as IDMf chat. It has greater immediacy but I get that its not for everyone.

I don’t prefer discord either. I have tried to get into several different communities over there, IDMf being one, and it’s never stuck with me either. Especially the IDMf discord. Try as I might I just like this format and the community here way better. Maybe a bit of the old dog new trick syndrome? Not sure.

My guess is that Being a grown person talking about nonsense on the internet like politics, memes and crap like conspiracy theories isn’t very appealing…it’s like who wants to be Joaquin Phoenixs character from the movie her where he falls in love with his a.i computer…

Not trying to offend anybody but I can see why…
Also too many shitposts are no good.

I would make some further statements but in hindsight anything else I would say would be like yeah look who’s talking.

Memes and shitposting attracts assholes…or makes normal people engage in asshole behavior…common sense…

When people go asshole they start to try to out asshole each other and it become the highlander of assholes…

But when a person becomes the highlander all that’s left is them and their assholery because everyone else has been either done in or been driven away.

The takeaway is that once this happens all that is left is a person to revel in their assholery.

Sorta like the cliche “you made your bed now lie in it”

How does this apply to idmf…
The deadmau5 spam and hatefests…
The shitposting…and the headbutting of egos.

And because of that I’ll say this I was wrong about somethings…the other stuff I don’t remember but anyways yeah. Basically I’ll go first and remember to try to lead by example… in the future if I’m still on here…I guess…idk shrug.