BB79 - Making Music Unintuitively
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Beat Battles Beat Battle's happen here.

Old 29-05-2018, 02:27 AM   #1
Tsachi
IDMf Artist
Tsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MC
MC Status: 13160
BB79 - Making Music Unintuitively

So here's the extra rules:

1. It is unlawful to use delay on anything but low-end, like 200 and below is acceptable (does not apply to manually retriggering the midi note)
  2. Use at least one vocoder at some point, for a sound somewhere, whatever.
  3. HAHAHAHAHA YOU CAN ONLY USE BOOSTS FOR EQ!!!! ...Or cuts. But you can only boost or cut for any given sound. The exemption is using a hi or low cut, but your resonance changes must follow boost or cut rule! Also exempt is filter movement in your sampler. A group of two or more sounds can then only receive boosts or cuts on the group channel, and so on in this fashion. Get creative!
That has got to be the dumbest rule I've made to date. Do not hesitate to ask questions for clarification.

Also here's the sample "pack"
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I will now undergo the time-honored tradition of copy-pasting the Beat Battle codex:

THE DEADLINES
Each battle takes place over two weeks, starting this Thursday
Submissions close and votes open at 23:59 11 days later( Monday)

Voting closes at 23:59 on the 13th day (Wednesday).

The winner then becomes the Host, and has until 23:59 on the 14th day (Thursday), to post a new thread with a new sample set and new rules.
I guess y'all get a few extra days because this battle is starting today!

THE TIMES ARE CHAOTIC AND CHAOS IS GOOD!

All times are UTC

THE CHALLENGE

The Battle Host must provide a sample set to be used for the battle. These samples are the only sound sources allowed, unless the Additional Rules for the battle state otherwise. The samples can be anything that the Battle Host has the right to distribute for non-commercial use.

The Battle Host must create three Additional Rules. These can allow or require additional sound sources, or impose any kind of new requirements.

THE CONTEST

Anyone can enter the Battle by posting a link to their entry in the Battle thread. Unless the Additional Rules state otherwise, any processing is allowed and the source samples need not be recognizable. The Host may disqualify any entry that does not meet either the general rules or the additional ones.
Once the submission deadline is reached, the winner is elected by posting votes in the same thread. Anyone is welcome to vote whether they participated or not. In case of a draw, the Host designates the winner between the submissions tied for first place.

Advertisements

------------------
Tsachi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 03:07 AM   #2
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 31960
Re: BB79 - Making Music Unintuitively

lol... as if I actually have sophisticated enough EQ chops for rule 3 to even matter.

EDIT: rule one is lit tho
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mnkvolcno
Valk (31-05-2018)
Old 29-05-2018, 03:09 AM   #3
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC

really great sample pack
Thanks to mnkvolcno
Tsachi (02-06-2018)
Old 29-05-2018, 06:47 AM   #4
HalfTrek
Granular Poster
HalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1710

Downloaded the pack, going to be a real challenge to have only a field recording to go from. Or is there more somewhere?

Rule 1 Delay question, may we Copy paste paste paste paste?

Also, vocoders yeah
HalfTrek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to HalfTrek
mnkvolcno (29-05-2018)
Old 29-05-2018, 07:10 AM   #5
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfTrek View Post
Downloaded the pack, going to be a real challenge to have only a field recording to go from. Or is there more somewhere?

Rule 1 Delay question, may we Copy paste paste paste paste?

Also, vocoders yeah
This is the only sample

But do not fear. this bb will neccessarily be more sound design heavy. With some perseverance you can make any type of sound you might want with this sample. My advice would be to do a sound design session before you even start a track. Cut up the sample, put effects on slices, bounce em down, load em into a few samplers (just be careful to not break the eq rule). Get a handful of cool sounds going and then think about making a tune with em. Not sure if you’re new to this type of thing, but one of the joys of bb’s is seeing what sounds you can squeeze out of these samples.

And yes it will be a challenge indeed.
Old 29-05-2018, 07:23 AM   #6
HalfTrek
Granular Poster
HalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
This is the only sample

But do not fear. this bb will neccessarily be more sound design heavy. With some perseverance you can make any type of sound you might want with this sample. My advice would be to do a sound design session before you even start a track. Cut up the sample, put effects on slices, bounce em down, load em into a few samplers (just be careful to not break the eq rule). Get a handful of cool sounds going and then think about making a tune with em. Not sure if you’re new to this type of thing, but one of the joys of bb’s is seeing what sounds you can squeeze out of these samples.

Thx for the tips. Already had a small slicing session. Do have some experience with it, and should be able to get some cool sounds. Problem I usually have is making something musical. Like the resulting sounds when mixed with other will start to sound out of tune. Maybe I should use a tuner on the sounds as part of the process?

Also..keeping things organized (after 10 mins just now it already is a mess ).

And I kinda was just checking there was not a huge pack stuck in customs or something
Thanks to HalfTrek
I/O_Madness (29-05-2018)
Old 29-05-2018, 10:09 AM   #7
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11487554
Thanked 1,002 Times in 731 Posts

I say screw harmony, and let the natural harmony of dissonance be admired in its unbridled glory.

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 10:10 AM   #8
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming

lol it's one file lol

------------------

I/O_Madness
Thanks to I/O_Madness
Tsachi (31-05-2018)
Old 29-05-2018, 10:13 AM   #9
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

I forgot how I love these twisted challenges... "Here's one file... now make something"

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 30-05-2018, 03:00 AM   #10
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by I/O_Madness View Post
I say screw harmony, and let the natural harmony of dissonance be admired in its unbridled glory.
this is certainly one approach.

I tune stuff, i just do it by ear. if it sounds good it is good.
Thanks to mnkvolcno
I/O_Madness (30-05-2018)
Old 30-05-2018, 04:01 AM   #11
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 64360
Thanked 1,287 Times in 949 Posts

Yeah. Meh. Ima sit dis one out ✌️

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 10:33 AM   #12
HalfTrek
Granular Poster

Quote:
this is certainly one approach.

I tune stuff, i just do it by ear. if it sounds good it is good.

That is true. But I going to try some tuning with Live Tuner device . Could not find MTune on my system anymore. Weird.
Old 31-05-2018, 04:53 AM   #13
Tsachi
IDMf Artist
Tsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MC

You're allowed to tune using a synth or whatever, just don't have any other audio but the sample in your finished product.

Yeah you can Copy paste paste paste paste!!

------------------
Thanks to Tsachi
HalfTrek (31-05-2018)
Old 31-05-2018, 09:50 AM   #14
HalfTrek
Granular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsachi View Post
You're allowed to tune using a synth or whatever, just don't have any other audio but the sample in your finished product.

Hadn't thought of that, good idea! Who knows, I just might develop a musical hearing at my old age if I practice this enough

First try was a semitone of, at least until I started second guessing myself
Thanks to HalfTrek
mnkvolcno (31-05-2018)
Old 31-05-2018, 01:22 PM   #15
Valk
Radial Developer
Valk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3860

Hmmm maybe it's time to try autotune the results of slicing, to get it all back in tune

------------------
check out my Nest in progress
Valk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 03:08 PM   #16
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfTrek View Post
Hadn't thought of that, good idea! Who knows, I just might develop a musical hearing at my old age if I practice this enough

First try was a semitone of, at least until I started second guessing myself
You can learn to tune! I teach guitar and I’ve taught lots of adult students how. They’re always super hard on themselves, but teaching them has been a really good experience for me because it’s shown me just how plastic our brains are, even for folks in their 50s.

The trick is to listen for the “beating”.. meaning, when you play two different instance of the same note that aren’t in tune, they will go “WOwoWOwoWOwo” like a dubstep baseline lol. As you tune them, that wobble will get slower as they get more in tune, and faster as they get more out of tune. There’s nothing magical to it, you’re just listening for that! just takes a little practice.

But as far as BB’s are concerned... eh I wouldn’t sweat it too much. I always view this as my oppourtunity to let it all hang out and just do some raw sounding ish
Old 31-05-2018, 10:45 PM   #17
HalfTrek
Granular Poster

Quote:
You can learn to tune! I teach guitar and I’ve taught lots of adult students how. They’re always super hard on themselves, but teaching them has been a really good experience for me because it’s shown me just how plastic our brains are, even for folks in their 50s.

The trick is to listen for the “beating”.. meaning, when you play two different instance of the same note that aren’t in tune, they will go “WOwoWOwoWOwo” like a dubstep baseline lol. As you tune them, that wobble will get slower as they get more in tune, and faster as they get more out of tune. There’s nothing magical to it, you’re just listening for that! just takes a little practice.

Good to know there is hope to learn that even when when older (approaching 40 not 50 though ). Will have a try with that trick sometime.

Btw, for clarification, i'm mainly talking about using tiny snippets which then become essentially waveforms. Like today i found a buzzy bit that sounds somewhat like a saw wave. If the resulting tone is not a C then changing the root note of the sampler (to the correct one) does make life a lot easier.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:16 AM   #18
Tsachi
IDMf Artist

How’s everyone’s shits coming together?

------------------
Thanks to Tsachi
mnkvolcno (08-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 12:01 PM   #19
HalfTrek
Granular Poster

Not that much together atm. Still at about the same spot I was last week. Been thinking I should at least try to make something of an arrangement or I might not even be able to present anything (busy weekend ahead).

Also booo that delay rule, accidentally used an effect which I think has some built in. Now I have to go back to see how to fix that
Old 07-06-2018, 01:48 PM   #20
Tsachi
IDMf Artist

Lol. Chorus and flanger are fine, as are all reverbs with predelay, not too harsh right? I honestly forgot about that rule anyway... I need to double check now ha

Advertisements

------------------