Ableton Live Group Question
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Tutorials Section Found or written an interesting tutorial recently? Share it here.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:39 AM   #1
9:45
Knob Twiddler
9:45 is a splendid one to behold9:45 is a splendid one to behold9:45 is a splendid one to behold9:45 is a splendid one to behold9:45 is a splendid one to behold9:45 is a splendid one to behold9:45 is a splendid one to behold
CT
MC Status: 858
Ableton Live Group Question

So I have a Instrument that I am working on that I like the way it sounds and i grouped it in ableton live to make an instrument rack, and filled up all the 8 macro knobs with parameters. Now i like all the parameter's that i have added in there but i need to put in the ADSR macro values as well. So is there any possible way to make it so i can 8 more assignable marco knobs for a instance of sampler for a total of 16 marcos for one sampler grouped instrument??? I have tried by right clicking on the sampler inside the instrument rack put all that does is makes another clone of the first 8 that i have created. Can someone please help me this is driving me crazy

Advertisements

------------------
Just sit back and chill
9:45 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Jeff Bujak
Old 03-11-2012, 02:03 AM   #2
9:45
Knob Twiddler
9:45 is a splendid one to behold9:45 is a splendid one to behold9:45 is a splendid one to behold9:45 is a splendid one to behold9:45 is a splendid one to behold9:45 is a splendid one to behold9:45 is a splendid one to behold
CT
MC Status: 858
Re: Ableton Live Group Question

bump bump bump!

------------------
Just sit back and chill
9:45 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Far as I know you can't have more that 8 macros in an Instrument Rack, even if you group them.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
lionaire
Minor Glitch
lionaire is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

no I can confirm that. I just tried by grouping the group again and then trying to modulate the parameters of the soft synth in the first group but all you can modulate is the 8 macros of the first group. maybe max4live has some kind of solution?
lionaire is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
unknown__artist
unknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MC
Hamburg
MC Status: 22144205

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9:45 View Post
So I have a Instrument that I am working on that I like the way it sounds and i grouped it in ableton live to make an instrument rack, and filled up all the 8 macro knobs with parameters. Now i like all the parameter's that i have added in there but i need to put in the ADSR macro values as well. So is there any possible way to make it so i can 8 more assignable marco knobs for a instance of sampler for a total of 16 marcos for one sampler grouped instrument??? I have tried by right clicking on the sampler inside the instrument rack put all that does is makes another clone of the first 8 that i have created. Can someone please help me this is driving me crazy
Can't you assign directly the parameter to your knob via the midi button? It will be "hard wired" in this way, i.e. the assignment will stay fixed, independently on the focused instrument rack. Haven't tried, but it should work...

------------------
My Ep "I Am A Dead Man" is out on Xylem Records

Departure (Bonus Track) Video
Soundcloud: μ-metik
Facebook: μ-metik
Twitter:μ-metik
unknown__artist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
gbsr
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.
MC Status: 33141603

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionaire View Post
no I can confirm that. I just tried by grouping the group again and then trying to modulate the parameters of the soft synth in the first group but all you can modulate is the 8 macros of the first group. maybe max4live has some kind of solution?
if you go here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
you can find tons of devices controlling things directly, and those can be edited and analysed in order to understand how to map things.

for example this one: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

or this: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

this: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

or if you just want 16 macroknobs, use this: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

otherwise, if you don't have m4l / don't to use it, you could try macrobat:

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #7
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5746593

I'm guessing you have a controller of some sort that you want to use with the racks?

You can build instrument racks inside of racks and even seperate effects into effect racks. Might be annoying to manuever between them all but you can also set keys to select a device, by mapping them, like if you have 4 instrument chains you need to manipulate inside a rack as you can't go through instruments inside of one really(not that I know of anyways).

This is something I've been doing lately with my APC40, well attempting I should say. Cool thing is that once you've built it and saved it, you can reuse them. =D Love the APC as I can slide through macro panels without touching my mouse. Flip tracks to get to a different instrument or group of effects, start tweaking. Only getting into it though as I've generally mapped stuff individually to a project in recent times. It's gotten very annoying though.

Of course, the advice above looks good too. I might have to look into that nativekontrol stuff as well. Seems to pop up every so often and I'm sure they have a crap ton of stuff built up.

My suggestion is seperating anything you can from the primary rack macros, of course if you're trying to tweak 16 parameters on your one sampler, looks like you're SOL without getting the stuff mentioned above.

------------------
Say :|

bbb is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
paracetamol
Soundscaper
paracetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MC
MC Status: 288402

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsr View Post
don't have m4l / don't to use it
google is refusing answers, probably because this is a question that can be answered with "d'oh!": do i NEED m4l in order to use the freely available m4l patches out there?
paracetamol is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
alriley
Minor Glitch
alriley is a jewel in the roughalriley is a jewel in the roughalriley is a jewel in the rough
London, UK
MC Status: 260

Nice and simple - I'm getting that m4l 16knobs right now!
alriley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 04:40 AM   #10
Adam201
Soundwave Mangler
Adam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant future
Canberra
MC Status: 1960

If the synth is a VST then you have nearly unlimited options when it comes to control of parameters.
Also, if any of your macro's are on/off and for parameters that shouldnt coexist, you can make one macro control 2 parameters and invert one of them in the top left hand window.
Could free up a sport for you.

Cheers,
Adam

Advertisements

Adam201 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote