How do you get people to remix your stuff?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:09 PM   #1
glasscrow
Regular Freak
glasscrow is a jewel in the roughglasscrow is a jewel in the roughglasscrow is a jewel in the rough
Chicago, IL
MC Status: 260
How do you get people to remix your stuff?

I'm not looking right now, but in the future I will and it's just something I wonder... Do you just go around asking artists in your scene if they'll do it for free? Do you pay them? Do they pay you (for stems/rights)? Like what??

If relevant, my question is specific to the electro-industrial/ebm/dark electro scene.

Advertisements

glasscrow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:22 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts
Re: How do you get people to remix your stuff?

In the case that an artist is seeking someone to remix their work, I think the remixer usually get’s paid. Unless you are friends with someone and they agree to do it for free. It’s a brave new world, anything might go. When there are labels and contracts involved that complicates things.

Some people around here might be willing to give a remix a go for free if want to get a taste for the process.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
glasscrow (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 05:58 PM   #3
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 204360
Thanked 4,087 Times in 3,037 Posts

Just following on what Relic said..keep in mind you're talking about basically two different types of remixing here..

a)..the PRO kind, where you get somebody "established" with their own business and studio, to remix your work, in which case you're going to be looking at a fee.."standard rates apply" as they say and that can mean either by the hour or by the track..as well as any "extras" you want included, such as preparing formats for certain services, mastering stems, burning to disc / disk and the likes. It can really add up fast.

b)..the "AMATEUR" kind, where you get somebody who's "not established" and usually working "out of the box" to remix your work. Most times this can be for free, in return for a public credit and/or a small sum of cash, if you feel they've done a good job you're happy with.

That said, don't be surprised is some amateurs charge you a fee, too..and there's nothing wrong with that, as long as you get what you're paying for and they know what they're doing in the first place. I nsuch cases, you're talking about folks who've usually "served their time" producing their own work and the work of others for free, all the while perfecting their production skills.

Fee or no fee, the end result from getting an amateur to do it for you can be just as good in every way as if you went with the services of a PRO..the only difference being they are trying to become established and might not have all the gear / hardware a PRO might have..but that doesn't necessarily mean their work will be crap because of it. That said, it's still a good idea to be familiar with that person's work..both their own and any work they've already produced / remixed for others.

Regardless of which "type" you go with in the end, make sure you strike up a good level of communication with whoever it is, as you don't want to waste either your time or theirs, due to everyone "not being on the same page" from the start.

Give it some thought and explain clearly to them what it is you want and expect them to do and make sure you understand everything they say to..don't hold back on asking questions if anything is unclear in your mind.

Personally, I'd suggest that when the time comes, you start by posting an ad in the IDMf classified section on here, asking for interested members to PM you..or even reach out to those on here who you think might do a good job, based on what you're already heard of their own work and see if they'd be willing to give it a go. There's some really talented folk hanging out on here and you could do a lot worse than engaging one of them for the job.

Best of luck with it.

Last edited by A.M; 05-04-2018 at 06:04 PM..

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
glasscrow (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 07:03 PM   #4
glasscrow
Regular Freak
glasscrow is a jewel in the roughglasscrow is a jewel in the roughglasscrow is a jewel in the rough
Chicago, IL
MC Status: 260

Awesome, thanks guys! I will absolutely pay for an established artist to remix my work, I just didn't really know how that generally goes since my friends and I are all amateur musicians and collaborate for free.

It seems obvious now and I feel kind of dumb for asking, so extra thanks for not ripping on me XD
glasscrow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to glasscrow
A.M (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 07:21 PM   #5
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 204360
Thanked 4,087 Times in 3,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasscrow View Post
Awesome, thanks guys! I will absolutely pay for an established artist to remix my work, I just didn't really know how that generally goes since my friends and I are all amateur musicians and collaborate for free.

It seems obvious now and I feel kind of dumb for asking, so extra thanks for not ripping on me XD

No need to feel dumb at all, dude..it's a totally legit question..and if you're going to go with a PRO, then nest one in your mind should be, "Where do I find one?"

Again, I suggest you try your luck on here, before you go off looking elsewhere..as there are a few MEs on here who are pretty damn fine behind a mixing desk and might be willing to take on the job for you. As I said before, when the time is right, try either posting over in the Classified section on here or contacting via PM anyone you think fits the bill.

Seriously, I'd only go looking elsewhere if money isn't an issue and your already have somebody in mind for the job..in which case go for it..after all, if you've reached the stage of wanting somebody to mix your stuff, then you should already know what you're looking for.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote