QAWM 2018
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Quarterly Album Writing Month (QAWM) IDMf's Quarterly Album Writing Month project. Find all things QAWM related PLUS members own QAWM music!

Old 25-03-2018, 06:28 PM   #1
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 204110
Thanked 4,082 Times in 3,034 Posts
QAWM 2018

OK..it's been a while since we had one of these and I'm personally about to jump into a project of my own, so I thought I'd mix the two things together at this early stage and see where it goes. It would be really cool is some of you on here came along for the ride and tried your hand at producing a complete album in a month, too.

As before, it's never about quality..just about getting an album's worth of content finished in it's first form, but if anyone feels like they can end up with a fully finished album, ready for release by the end of the month, then more power to them..go for it!

Also, for anyone reading, this IS NOT about giving advice or feedback on any works others post..this is not the Listening Booth..that's what that's there for. Basically, if you find something you like, then feel free to post your praises..otherwise keep [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
and say nothing. Those posting work or taking part are free to discus their workflow and ideas as always..and seek advice from others taking part if they want.

Basically...if you're not taking part, then don't open your mouth about what you hear..the QAWM can be a pretty intensive thing and anyone taking part has more than enough to keep them busy as it is, besides having to take on board the ideas and opinions of others, and getting sidetracked or bogged down with the "small things".

So..in short..if you're not actually taking part, hold off on the comments and wait until it's all over..THEN have your say, once the work is done and the participating members have had a chance to express themselves through their work and explain the end result.

I'm thinking of stating this day week..Sunday 1st April..and no, it's not an April Fools day joke, in case anyone is thinking that.

Anyone else up for this? If so, just post to this thread and/or watch this space, as they say. I'll be posting updates here on how things are going for me during the month and encourage anyone taking part to do likewise.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Thanks to A.M
relic (25-03-2018)
Old 25-03-2018, 06:40 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts
Re: QAWM 2018

Unfortunately I have another project I absolutely have to concentrate on, but great to see someone picking up the project again here : ) I'll be watching/listening.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks
Thanks to relic
A.M (25-03-2018)
Old 25-03-2018, 06:46 PM   #3
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Cool, dude..hope you enjoy what you eventually hear.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Old 06-07-2018, 09:36 AM   #4
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11490304
Thanked 1,057 Times in 774 Posts

what y'all doin?!?

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks
Thanks to I/O_Madness
A.M (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 01:42 PM   #5
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

8 days from now Im leaving for a week long festival. Not sure Id be up for an album writing month this summer. Maybe in the fall.

------------------
Thanks to relic
A.M (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 02:22 PM   #6
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by I/O_Madness View Post
what y'all doin?!?
In a nutshell..talking. [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
recently started a thread about doing an "[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
" and those few who have shows some interested are still kinda straddled between the two..QAWM and the 8 track-One month challenge.

I haven't suggested this already..but I'm thinking we could merge the two this one time and see if we could do what [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
suggested for this first QAWM of the year..and if anyone does finish 8 tracks, then cool..if not, still cool for taking part. It would give us a solid goal for the QAWM.

Either way, keep your eye on this thread for updates. IF we're going to run with either, it will be sooner rather than later.

Last edited by A.M; 06-07-2018 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: Added link

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Thanks to A.M
I/O_Madness (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #7
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
8 days from now Im leaving for a week long festival. Not sure Id be up for an album writing month this summer. Maybe in the fall.
No worries, man..the explanation, while sincerely appreciated, isn't required..ya know that, dude.

Most of us who keep up on reading new posts all know by now of you upcoming epic "decks battle", as well as your gradual move over to DJ'ing again. That said, it would be cool to have the "Old Relic" banging out something for one of these whenever you get the chance.

I'm personally thinking of making this a "thing" in my life, so as to force myself to focus on completing full bodies of work, rather than farting about with ideas and playing with and pairing sounds. While all that is fun in it's own way and worthy of my time, it usually results in me ending up with unfinished tracks that need more attention and time..and I tend to put that off, due to being already lost in the "farting about" phase all over again.

LSS..the discipline will do me good and..hopefully..help give me a more solid form of structure that will lead to more complete albums being produce. That's the plan anyway.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Thanks to A.M
mnkvolcno (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 03:19 PM   #8
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 33960
Icon8 Re: QAWM 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
No worries, man..the explanation, while sincerely appreciated, isn't required..ya know that, dude.

Most of us who keep up on reading new posts all know by now of you upcoming epic "decks battle", as well as your gradual move over to DJ'ing again. That said, it would be cool to have the "Old Relic" banging out something for one of these whenever you get the chance.

I'm personally thinking of making this a "thing" in my life, so as to force myself to focus on completing full bodies of work, rather than farting about with ideas and playing with and pairing sounds. While all that is fun in it's own way and worthy of my time, it usually results in me ending up with unfinished tracks that need more attention and time..and I tend to put that off, due to being already lost in the "farting about" phase all over again.

LSS..the discipline will do me good and..hopefully..help give me a more solid form of structure that will lead to more complete albums being produce. That's the plan anyway.
Hmm.. I might be onboard. Itís a bit intimidating but why the f not. Iíve been working on a batch of tunes for a while but it might be nice to put them on the back burner for a month and do something like this.

Two questions.. is there a FAQ? And when would it start? August I guess?
mnkvolcno is online now   Thanks
Thanks to mnkvolcno
I/O_Madness (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 03:31 PM   #9
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
Hmm.. I might be onboard. Itís a bit intimidating but why the f not. Iíve been working on a batch of tunes for a while but it might be nice to put them on the back burner for a month and do something like this.

Cool..would be great to have you take part with us.

No F.A.Qs as such..just the basic idea of banging out an album in a month. Feel free to post questions to this thread if any come to mind during the month, as well as chat about how your process if working out in general..and feel free to jump in and try and help others, too, if you can..ya know, the usual.

As for when will it start..it should have started already..and it could kick off at any time..we don't really need to nail ourselves down to the 1st of any month..just make sure we do it in four weeks only..but that's just my own personal take and others might want to keep it to a complete calendar month..or, as in Relic's case, they might not be able to down tools and start something like this during this month..so I guess the short answer to this question is that it's really up to the input we get in this thread over the next few days.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Old 06-07-2018, 03:31 PM   #10
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Hmm.. I might be onboard. It’s a bit intimidating but why the f not. I’ve been working on a batch of tunes for a while but it might be nice to put them on the back burner for a month and do something like this.

I think every time we've gathered up a few brave souls we've had slightly different rules. But for me the gist of the idea is that you write/arrange a certain number of tracks in a month. Getting ideas down (sound design, writing the music, the beat, arrangement) is more important than mixing/mastering.

Edit: if releasing something for comment that isn't really mixed bothers someone, I recommend looking up that 10 minute pink noise mixing technique. It won't get you a perfectly balanced track, but it makes most of my stuff pretty listenable, pretty quickly.

I'd actually be down for an August start point.

--------

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. Haha, I think I'm just really excited. I hope I haven't gotten annoying about it on the forum. I feel like I have, but still can't stop talking about it.

Last edited by relic; 06-07-2018 at 03:40 PM..

------------------
Thanks to relic
A.M (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 03:39 PM   #11
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I think every time we've gathered up a few brave souls we've had slightly different rules. But for me the gist of the idea is that you write/arrange a certain number of tracks in a month. Getting ideas down (sound design, writing the music, the beat, arrangement) is more important than mixing/mastering.

I'd actually be down for an August start point.

--------

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. Haha, I think I'm just really excited. I hope I haven't gotten annoying about it on the forum. I feel like I have, but still can't stop talking about it.

OK..that's one officially expressing a wish for an August start.

Asfor your "thing"..nah man, it's all cool..I don't think anyone on here has been miffed about what you've been saying..it's great to read and follow you during the lead-up to it..it's all music, dude..just a different skillset needed to get the music across to the listeners..and I've always considered DJ'ing as one of the most valuable ways you can learn to actually mix / arrange music. You need to know what your doing and direct the flow of the tunes, as well as add your own "flavor" to the whole thing, which is all about being creative and doing your homework first.

So yeah..more power to you, mate. Hope it all goes well for you..and I'm sure it will. Would be cool if you could arrange for somebody to make a vid of your set on the day and then share it up on here.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Old 06-07-2018, 05:04 PM   #12
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32910

I might be down for an August time frame.
Depends, I might have some time off work by then.
Either way, I would like to try my hand at some really fast workflow ideas even if I only pull off an ep instead of an album.
I’ve done one a few years ago and had fun, so either way, why not!

P.S. would you start a new thread for this in August since this one was originally from April?

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks
Thanks to jbvdb493
A.M (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 05:58 PM   #13
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
I might be down for an August time frame.
Depends, I might have some time off work by then.
Either way, I would like to try my hand at some really fast workflow ideas even if I only pull off an ep instead of an album.
Iíve done one a few years ago and had fun, so either way, why not!

P.S. would you start a new thread for this in August since this one was originally from April?
Great..that's 2 possibles for August.

I don't think there's a need for a new thread, as this is the 2018 QAWM, though I'll more than likely ask one of the Mods or Admin to move this thread over to the official QAWM section of the forum to keep them all together and easy to find. Should have posted it there in the start..my bad.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Old 06-07-2018, 06:02 PM   #14
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11490304
Thanked 1,057 Times in 774 Posts

I'm down for starting whenever, although I suppose I'd prefer to be back from the vacation I'm currently on, so... an August start might work just fine. I'm here for two weeks, so I don't have any of my instruments or things. I have my Linux laptop, and a handheld recorder, so that's what I have right now to work with. I'm gonna aim to get a track for BB81, but yeah, I'm definitely down for this.

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks
Old 06-07-2018, 06:48 PM   #15
A.M

OK..it's looking like August right now..but come August, I'm going for it regardless of who can and can't take part..it's kinda dragged out a bit already and it would be cool to get one done..hopefully two..before the end of the year.

But, that said, I guess it depends on others taking part..not much of a community thing if it's just me all on my tod.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Old 06-07-2018, 08:51 PM   #16
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 33960

I’m gonna do my best to take part if it starts in August. I’ll confirm that when we get closer.
mnkvolcno is online now   Thanks
Thanks to mnkvolcno
A.M (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 09:19 PM   #17
A.M

Quote:
Iím gonna do my best to take part if it starts in August. Iíll confirm that when we get closer.
No pressure, I/O..if you can you can..if not, well..there will be another..I'm just pumped up for this is all.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Thanks to A.M
I/O_Madness (06-07-2018)