IDMf 049 One Synth Challenge Officially Open
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

IDMf Netlabel Albums + Discussion Chat about IDMf label releases goes here.

Old 16-12-2017, 11:31 PM   #1
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts
IDMf 049 One Synth Challenge Officially Open

Welcome to the IDMf049 One Synth Challenge

Greetings Mf'ers, its that time again. You are invited to submit a piece of music to be considered for inclusion on the next IDMf release. Any genre, any style, is welcome however there is one major caveat: each entry must use sounds from only a single synthesizer or drum synth—you may use your DAW and FX VSTs as much as you like. But only a single sound generating source please. No samplers loaded with lots of different samples etc. Please try to stay true to the nature of the challenge! The synth should be a monotrimbral synth. So a software synth that more or less mimics something in hardware is ideal. The competition was originally going to be open to hardware users only and they were going to use only a single synth to create/sequence/and record from to create their whole track. So this means you may only use a single instance of a synth at a time in your DAW while creating your track.

For the software people: Imagine you have only one hardware synthesizer to work with + a multi track recorder. You need to create and sequence/play a part of the song, record it, then reprogram your ONE synth to get the next part.

Ultimately you can pretty much do what ever you want with your recorded audio once it is in your DAW and use FX VSTs to your hearts content.

The idea is about creativity being born out of limitations.

As far as choosing a synth in software land, picking something that is a classic analog modeled option is good or anything that is "virtual analog".

Further clarifications:

Someone brought up Reaktor—in such an environment like this you would need to choose a single instrument inside Reaktor. One instance.

Someone brought up Omnisphere—for me, I’d say this clearly is outside the spirit of the competition (now that we’ve gotten more specific).

Read the following rules carefully:

1) By submitting an entry for the competition you are confirming that you have read and understood all the rules. (well, duh)

2) Peak audio level is -6DB. Yup, 6DB Headroom. Any entries with less than this at any point in the track will not be accepted. "My dog ate my mixing levels" is not an acceptable excuse, nor is "I was channeling Kanye".

3) No plugins on your master channel. That includes compression and limiting. There should be no FX whatsoever on the master channel. Entries that are accepted for release on the Netlabel will be mastered and anything you put on the master channel will mess this up. Tracks with Master channel FX will not be accepted.

4) Once you submit your entry for the competition, you are giving the IDMf NetLabel exclusive rights to publish the track. You are making a commitment that you will not send the submitted track to anyone else for publication and that you will not release it yourself. If not selected for the release, all rights pass back to you on the day the album is released. If you submit an entry for the competition it is taken as confirmation that you have read and understand this.

5) Include a contact email address in the info part of the track along with a clear indication that it is for the compilation.

6) Include a contact email address in the info part of the track along with a clear indication that it is for the compilation. Yeh, really, this one went in twice.

7) All tracks submitted must be shared privately from a soundcloud link to the label email here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. Any not privately shared or those that have been public before with many plays and/or downloads will automatically disqualify you from the compilation selection process.
If you don't have a soundcloud account, other streaming services are fine as long as they offer equal ease and functionality to soundcloud - namely the ability to preview the track, the ability to share privately, and the ability to download the track in full lossless quality.

8) All tracks must be submitted in WAV or AIFF format, with a minimum quality of 44100/24bit sample rate.

9) When you create the file for your track (before uploading) name it with your full artist name, track title and forum name too. AGAIN MAKE SURE TO DO THIS OR YOUR SUB MAY WELL GET LOST AND FORGOTTEN. Have some professionalism with your final master for submission please. If we can't keep track of who subbed what, good tracks might get left off.

10) No remixes. This seems like a no-brainer but you'd be surprised.

11) Include a contact email address in the info part of the track along with a clear indication that it is for the compilation. Three times now, has it gone in yet? I bet for a few it still hasn't

All entries are to be received by the IDMf netlabel no later than 11:59pm 14/2/2018 GMT+1 . Note: Received, not sent.

If you have difficulty working out what time of day that is (this is not sarcasm, people in different time-zones often have problems), make sure to submit at least the day before. Don't waste anyone's time arguing if you submit late, the trolls that wear the mantle of moderator will find you adorable but dismiss your entry. Pointing and laughing may ensue.

We receive a lot of submissions for these compilations so be aware that any entries not meeting the above requirements may mean your music will not be considered. It is 100% YOUR responsibility to make sure you do this. Don't shoot yourself in the foot after working so hard on your music.

We're very much looking forward to hearing what everyone comes up with over the next couple of months. Good luck all!

Last edited by relic; 18-12-2017 at 06:31 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 12:04 AM   #2
Metaside
IDMf Artist
Metaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8610
Re: IDMf 049 One Synth Challenge Officially Open

Awesome, count me in!

Maybe a bit early to ask, but I would be interested to know what synths will be used for this.

Hard decision for me right now... I did a one-synth track with Serum once ("Hunted" on my Counterframe album if anyone's interested), but right now I work a lot with Icarus and Avenger, which would be nice for this, too... Falcon or Thorn would also be interesting options...

Last edited by Metaside; 17-12-2017 at 12:22 AM..

------------------
Metaside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #3
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not who or where you think I am.
MC Status: 9310

With regards to Rule 9: Might I suggest this file name format: Track Name-Artist Name-IDMF One Synth Challenge The last time I put artist name first and you had to change it as all the others were listed track first.

------------------
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 03:17 PM   #4
Jazzyspoon
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
Jazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 35997996

Is Reaktor considered a single synth?

------------------
Jazzyspoon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jazzyspoon
Automageddon (17-12-2017)
Old 17-12-2017, 03:26 PM   #5
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 19910

Ah great, that I'll get my Analog Keys in two weeks!
So count me in!

------------------
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 03:44 PM   #6
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269480808
Thanked 3,144 Times in 2,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzyspoon View Post
Is Reaktor considered a single synth?
Don't try bending the rules already.

You can use Reaktor, 1 Instrument only.

Also, 1 synth means assuming you only have 1 single hardware monotimbral synth.

So can you stack multiple instances of FM8 one for the kick, one for the bass, one for the lead, one for the snare?
No.

You have 1 instance of your chosen synth, when you need more, bounce to audio and move on.

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 03:53 PM   #7
ms_
IDMf Artist
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 125560
Thanked 2,511 Times in 1,472 Posts

so, basically, 1 sample challenge? Create a non-multi patch within any hard/soft-synth, record/bounce it and then re-sample it to infinity?

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 04:34 PM   #8
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute

I think the "what is classed as a synth?" needs to be worked out and set in stone before everyone gets started. Let's face it, you could say Omnisphere is one synth, but that's a really uneven playing field against a mono-synth. Also it states no samples, so will that also mean no sampling? As in, all the sounds have to come directly from the synth engine itself, with fx added after.

------------------
Old 17-12-2017, 04:49 PM   #9
Jazzyspoon
Jazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 35997996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
Don't try bending the rules already.

You can use Reaktor, 1 Instrument only.
Wasn't going to bend the rules. This won't be a battle that I have time for.
My point was the 'one synth' challenge here needs a little more clarity. I almost think it would have been better to pick a freeware soft synth and say everyone has to use it to create a song.

------------------
Jazzyspoon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 04:57 PM   #10
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.

This was originally meant to be a hardware challenge, pick a synth, build a track only with sounds you generated from that synth.
We opened it to allow 1 softsynth to make it more accessible to everyone, but if it becomes too difficult to understand that 1 synth means using only 1 synth, not a modular environment to create your own synths, then we might take it back to being a hardware challenge only.

Also, no samples doesn't mean no sampling.
If you have a daw and 1 synth, how do you build a drum track?
Synthesise a kick, sample it, load a new patch, synthesise a snare, rinse, repeat.

I'm really happy to put more restrictive guidelines, but the idea is to build a track with a very limited set of sound sources and not really happy about running a competition for the hardware guys only.

------------------
Old 17-12-2017, 05:05 PM   #11
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzyspoon View Post
Wasn't going to bend the rules. This won't be a battle that I have time for.
My point was the 'one synth' challenge here needs a little more clarity. I almost think it would have been better to pick a freeware soft synth and say everyone has to use it to create a song.
I understand what you're saying, but this was actually kind of pre-announced in the hardware thread with the quote, "The new IDMF release will be all about hardware!"

------------------
Old 17-12-2017, 05:07 PM   #12
Automageddon
Administrator
Less kids, more synths.

That was the idea, but then we realised that it would be overly restrictive (Plus most of our hardware peeps, play music but tend to forget about recording/finishing tracks, me included)

------------------
Thanks to Automageddon
Jaded (18-01-2018)
Old 17-12-2017, 05:15 PM   #13
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
This was originally meant to be a hardware challenge, pick a synth, build a track only with sounds you generated from that synth.
We opened it to allow 1 softsynth to make it more accessible to everyone, but if it becomes too difficult to understand that 1 synth means using only 1 synth, not a modular environment to create your own synths, then we might take it back to being a hardware challenge only.

Also, no samples doesn't mean no sampling.
If you have a daw and 1 synth, how do you build a drum track?
Synthesise a kick, sample it, load a new patch, synthesise a snare, rinse, repeat.

I'm really happy to put more restrictive guidelines, but the idea is to build a track with a very limited set of sound sources and not really happy about running a competition for the hardware guys only.
Ha ha! You must have posted when I was typing. You can synthesize a kick, sequence it and record it, then synthesize your snare sequence it, and record ydda yadda yadda, which is what I'll be doing, as I'm hardware only. What I should have said in my post was no resampling to change the sound.

------------------
Old 17-12-2017, 05:26 PM   #14
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist

Just a thought. Singing or doing your own vocals is o.k, yes?

------------------
Old 17-12-2017, 06:09 PM   #15
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32860

Can I use a single sound source into an mpc?
Ie all sounds from x synth samples into mpc for sequencing from there?
I know you guys mentioned a daw, I would use the mpc in a similar fashion, minus mixing I guess.
This would help me learn the mpc while having a goal to shoot for too.
Thx.
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 07:23 PM   #16
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 29360

I'm considering Diva or Harmor for this right now. Though I could quickly get into questionable territory with Harmor because it's multilayered and does resynthesis. And Diva I would have to set a synth architecture and stick with it, though that I can do, most of my Diva presets are based on the same architecture (moog osc, analog roland filter, moog envelopes). Three oscilators with variable waveforms should be plenty.

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 08:11 PM   #17
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 203660
Thanked 4,073 Times in 3,026 Posts

@ Auto: "So can you stack multiple instances of FM8 one for the kick, one for the bass, one for the lead, one for the snare?
No.

You have 1 instance of your chosen synth, when you need more, bounce to audio and move on.
"

How is having, say, eight different instances of the same synth differ from having eight different audio files imported into the project, that you created with the same synth? Isn't it the same in the end..I mean, you still would have used only the one synth to make the track? Seems like a waste of time to go bouncing everything if there's not really a need to do it that way.

Great idea for a release, though..should end up with some interesting submissions.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 09:06 PM   #18
Metaside
IDMf Artist
Metaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8610

Ok, these will sound like silly questions, but reading about the hardware-related origins of this, I have to ask - how exactly is the type of oscillator in softsynths restricted? Using the full sample-related capabilities of a synth such as Falcon with various granular and other sample-based oscillators would be too much, of course. And even something like Iris would be out of the question I guess since it is sample-based.

But are wavetable synths ok? Or only if the wavetables are not generated based on samples? Or should we use something that is comparable to a hardware monosynth in terms of sound design possibilities?

Just want to make sure that I understand what's wanted here in case I'm gonna give this a try.

------------------
Metaside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 09:20 PM   #19
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 203660
Thanked 4,073 Times in 3,026 Posts

I can see this fast becoming a "Hardware Only" release real quick..and, you know, that wouldn't be such a bad thing..would love to hear a "Hardheads Showcase" release for a change. As an "in the box" guy, it would be great to hear what you guys can do when put to the test...besides, there's nothing wrong with a hardware only release..us "softies" have more than enough releases already.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 09:35 PM   #20
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

Again, I think the answer to most of this is pretty simple—pick something that is analog modeled. Pick something that is a recreation of a classic. That’s in the ball park. Pick a simple subtractive synth. If you have to ask if a certain VST synth is OK, that probably means it isnt.

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
I think ultimately there is a huge difference to only being able to have on instance open at a time. Its a totally different workflow. You have to commit a sound to audio before you can hear what it will sound like next to your second patch and so on. Having eight instances of the same synth open at once lets you just tweak and tweak and tweak and tweak w/o comitting to anything.

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote