U-he Repro Bundle, Thoughts?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 20-11-2017, 06:25 PM   #1
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts
U-he Repro Bundle, Thoughts?

U-he’s Repro bundle will include both the Monophonic Repro-1 and the polyphonic Repro-5 $99 until the new year. Was thinking of picking up NI Form sample based synth for $50, but it seems kinda gimmikcy and this seems like a lot of bang for buck. Or should I bite the bullet and go for Zebra or Diva?

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (20-11-2017)
Old 20-11-2017, 11:40 PM   #2
Artificer
Deep Underground
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 40210
Re: U-he Repro Bundle, Thoughts?

I like Repro - it sounds great and it's easy to use, but it's a one trick pony as far as synths go. It does classic analog really well, and if you need that in your line up a la Keith Emerson, shag carpet and wizard vans, it's a solid investment. I'm sure Repro-5 will be just as good.

Diva is cool, but I've only ever scratched the surface of it. Really flexible, lots of great organic sounds, and the filters are Moog-fat. I reminds me a bit of Waldorf's Largo in terms of filter quality and range. Lots of power under the hood through the modeling, but playable right out of the box. It really will shit all over your cpu, though.

Zebra is my favorite of the bunch. It's a sound designer's dream. Excellent quality like the rest of u-he's stuff, and it gets weird and out of control quickly. If you're looking for really unique, not necessarily classic synth sounds, it's a winner. Not the best choice if you just want a synth to jam on; it's about as far away from something like Repro as you can get.

Sorry, no experience with the NI stuff so I can't compare it.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
relic (20-11-2017)
Old 20-11-2017, 11:54 PM   #3
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Yea, the NI thing isn't even really similar to any of these at all--its really just the thing I was thinking of getting for a Black Friday deal, then I saw Repro.

Thanks for the thoughts on the U-he offerings. I love Presswerk and Satin, but know nothing about their synths really.

------------------
Old 21-11-2017, 12:18 AM   #4
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32760

Argh, I lost my post I was typing.
Long story short, don't know anything about form, doesn't seem very interesting imo.
I hear the NI moog recreation is supposed to be good, but I never used it and don't remember it's name. Edit: monark!
But, the korg polysix and mono poly recreations are great, and are iPad apps too now (maybe not both, not 100% on which one is).

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jbvdb493
relic (21-11-2017)
Old 21-11-2017, 12:22 AM   #5
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
Argh, I lost my post I was typing.
Long story short, don't know anything about form, doesn't seem very interesting imo.
I hear the NI moog recreation is supposed to be good, but I never used it and don't remember it's name.
But, the korg polysix and mono poly recreations are great, and are iPad apps too now (maybe not both, not 100% on which one is).
NI Monark. Its quite good. I'm a big fan of it.

Was thinking the same of Form, looking at it a third time.

Last edited by relic; 21-11-2017 at 12:29 AM..

------------------
Thanks to relic
jbvdb493 (21-11-2017)
Old 21-11-2017, 12:24 AM   #6
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32760

So isn't diva the same thing? What's the point of having both?
Or am I missing something?
And if you are looking for a decent NI synth, I quite enjoy rounds.
It seems gimmicky, but I've found it is great for weird sequences that play random ish sounding stuff cuz of its way of using up to 8 different sounds together.

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 05:23 AM   #7
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 29160

I have Diva and I love it, but after using it on pretty much every song for the past year and a half, I don't know if it's my tastes or if this is actually the vst, I find myself wanting it to do one sound it can't quite nail - a prophet. I heard the demos of the Prophet Rev2 and was like "This is what I want Diva to do". There is a lot there, and after a year and a half I'm just now at a point where I think I've used up all the sound design tricks it has to offer in a single instance. Now, I put on multiple units with maxed out unison voices and three oscilators per voice to get even thicker chords. Unison, glide, filters, and envelopes all sound great. I don't expect it would be different in the Repro, it's just a question of which you want. If I knew Repro was coming, I'd probably still take Diva because of the freedom to interchange parts and the greater perceived variety. But if you want the prophet sound, I think you need Repro

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
relic (21-11-2017)
Old 21-11-2017, 05:42 AM   #8
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
So isn't diva the same thing? What's the point of having both?
Or am I missing something?
And if you are looking for a decent NI synth, I quite enjoy rounds.
It seems gimmicky, but I've found it is great for weird sequences that play random ish sounding stuff cuz of its way of using up to 8 different sounds together.
Repro specifically goes after the Pro-1 and Pro-5 sound. Diva doesn't have those flavors AFAIK (see White Noise's post).

And I do love me some DSI brass-y analog : )

------------------
Old 21-11-2017, 06:29 AM   #9
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 65060
Thanked 1,301 Times in 959 Posts

I-He stuff is all awesome. Iíve not grown fond of Zebra, though. Diva is great for that classic analog flavor, but Bazille is the one I fell hard for. Nothing beats itís raw power.
Monark is great, but canít quite touch Diva.
I also have Form, and while I think itís kinda cool, Iím not sure why itís made it into this thread. Itís a great sound mangler, but - to be honest - many of these ďcreative toolsĒ that NI turns out are trending towards the gimmicky. Some of the Kontakt libraries in particular. I guess it depends on what floats your boat.
Personally, I think Form is a variant of a grain synth, and there are others that I think get to the point more directly (The Mangle ?).

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
relic (21-11-2017)
Old 21-11-2017, 08:26 AM   #10
MFXxx
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1843877

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
U-heís Repro bundle will include both the Monophonic Repro-1 and the polyphonic Repro-5 $99 until the new year. Was thinking of picking up NI Form sample based synth for $50, but it seems kinda gimmikcy and this seems like a lot of bang for buck. Or should I bite the bullet and go for Zebra or Diva?

Repro 1 and 5 are both quite could heavy. However 5 will get better as time moves on. Still beta.
Diva is one of my all time favourites and again can be heavy but smashes it for bass and vibe.
Zebra 3 is likely out in 2018 and from what I understand if you check the kvraudio forum likely to be a cheap upgrade from v2.
I've got all 3 and not totally versed with repro as not used a huge amount due to cpu hit. However just updated cpu so that will change
Really you need to demo and see which one suits your work flow and sound set.
Is repro the new diva we will see.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

------------------
My Tinkerings
https://hearthis.at/mystafx/
https://soundcloud.com/mystafx
Not forgetting the awesome Beat Battle Subs
https://hearthis.at/mfxxx/
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to MFXxx
relic (21-11-2017)
Old 21-11-2017, 04:06 PM   #11
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
I-He stuff is all awesome. Iíve not grown fond of Zebra, though. Diva is great for that classic analog flavor, but Bazille is the one I fell hard for. Nothing beats itís raw power.
Monark is great, but canít quite touch Diva.
I also have Form, and while I think itís kinda cool, Iím not sure why itís made it into this thread. Itís a great sound mangler, but - to be honest - many of these ďcreative toolsĒ that NI turns out are trending towards the gimmicky. Some of the Kontakt libraries in particular. I guess it depends on what floats your boat.
Personally, I think Form is a variant of a grain synth, and there are others that I think get to the point more directly (The Mangle ?).
Form only made the discussion because I'd come across it on sale for $50 but then saw the Repro bundle is on sale for $99 and my head gears started turning.

Thanks for the thoughts so far everyone. Looks like I may have to jump on the demo train...its been a while. I usually just buy things haha.

------------------
Old 21-11-2017, 07:27 PM   #12
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 178560
Thanked 3,571 Times in 2,123 Posts

I beta-demoed the repro a while back and it sounds absolutely fabulous. I mean... really fucking great I still have it installed.

I think it's a hell of a bargain.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
relic (21-11-2017)
Old 21-11-2017, 08:24 PM   #13
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269480808
Thanked 3,144 Times in 2,079 Posts

You know you don't need it.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 09:28 PM   #14
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
You know you don't need it.
Need is a strong word. But Iím basically down to Z3TA 2 as my only soft synth which isnít really doing it for me. I sold my Komplete Bundle with my Maschine this summer. I wasnít using anyone particular synth out of it very often.

------------------
Old 21-11-2017, 11:36 PM   #15
MFXxx
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1843877

Price wise and depending on your CPU, is going to determine your end game I believe.
If I was you Id go for Zebra 2. Zebra3 just around the corner whcih is very promising.
f ou have NI Komplete then you have bass and a wide range of souds covered with reaktor, massive, fm and absynth.
I think if you have Zeta+ you will most definately prefer Zebra, your decision post demo mate.
I have all u-he plugins and each has their own sound and benefit.
Enjoy your demos
Heres a beta demo of Diva i did many moons ago. Its my u-he goto.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

You will not regret any u-he (hive is a bit flakey though and purely entry level).
Saying that you have me all juiced up to get my head into Repro this week bought repro1 last year and 5 is a freebie
Quote:
Need is a strong word. But I’m basically down to Z3TA 2 as my only soft synth which isn’t really doing it for me. I sold my Komplete Bundle with my Maschine this summer. I wasn’t using anyone particular synth out of it very often.

------------------
My Tinkerings
https://hearthis.at/mystafx/
https://soundcloud.com/mystafx
Not forgetting the awesome Beat Battle Subs
https://hearthis.at/mfxxx/
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to MFXxx
relic (22-11-2017)
Old 23-11-2017, 02:14 PM   #16
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7238529

U-he's Bazille is my favourite synth from Urs' lineup. Intuitive, quick to use, and sounds amazing. CPU hit can be high, however. It would be my desert island softsynth.

Diva is okay. It is somewhat limited, but can sound really fat and things and stuff. In some cases I would argue it is 'hyper-analog', in the sense that it emphasizes some analog characteristics more than, well, actual analogue gear. It produces useful results and is great for more classical substractive synthesis. This means that the results easily go with acoustic instruments.

Pros do one piece of hardware really well. Useful for balls to the wall blazing synth sounds or brass or what have you. Useful, but not exactly versatile.

Zebra is really versatile, sounds great, etc. I find it a bit of a pain to use, though, and it sounds more 'digital' than the other options. You can make it not sound like that, but that takes more tweaking than on the other products. Still, a powerhouse once you get used to it. Some people really swear by this one.

For general versatility, get Zebra or Bazille. Former has more built-in-fx, if that is important.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:03 PM   #17
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 23910

I like it, and I love dsi synths, so this is right up my alley. I never thought the arturia prophet sounded anywhere near the synth, but this one sounds waaaay better. I also have noticed not as much use on my computer than diva uses.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to NewWorldOrder
relic (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 08:38 PM   #18
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
I like it, and I love dsi synths, so this is right up my alley. I never thought the arturia prophet sounded anywhere near the synth, but this one sounds waaaay better. I also have noticed not as much use on my computer than diva uses.
I love the DSI sound as well and really want that back in my arsenal, but an actual DSI synth is way out of the question at this point (well, any of the ones Iíd want to own anyway).

Defo picking this up at some point while it is still $99.

------------------
Old 05-12-2017, 08:55 PM   #19
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 23910

Quote:
I love the DSI sound as well and really want that back in my arsenal, but an actual DSI synth is way out of the question at this point (well, any of the ones Iíd want to own anyway).

Defo picking this up at some point while it is still $99.
I am between this or the new arturia synths just because you get so much, but U-he has really surprised me to the point where this might edge out the whole of arturia plug ins. I have the demos and have tried them in store, but I've never heard something quite as good at modeling analog as u-he. I actually think this plug in sounds better than things like a microkorg or other cheap analog modeling hardware.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:52 PM   #20
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
I am between this or the new arturia synths just because you get so much, but U-he has really surprised me to the point where this might edge out the whole of arturia plug ins. I have the demos and have tried them in store, but I've never heard something quite as good at modeling analog as u-he. I actually think this plug in sounds better than things like a microkorg or other cheap analog modeling hardware.
Agreed! Most of the U-He synths sound better than some of the entry level hardware VAs.

Advertisements

------------------