[IDM / Glitchy] SB-Six - Bizar
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 04-02-2018, 04:56 PM   #1
steeboo
IDMf Artist
steeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MC
montfoort
MC Status: 75629089
[IDM / Glitchy] SB-Six - Bizar

My latest experiment, a glitchy IDM track.
It's 90% created on a eurorack modular, with the help of novation peak for the polyphonic sounds. In this piece I'm trying to find a nice balance between soothing and rough sounds, in a non-traditional way. It might be a little strange to some, but I guess the IDM crowd can handle it

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by A.M; 05-02-2018 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: Fixed Title

Advertisements

------------------
steeboo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [IDM / Glitchy] SB-Six - Bizar.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:43 PM   #2
DoYouSeeWhatISe
Minor Glitch
DoYouSeeWhatISe will become famous soon enoughDoYouSeeWhatISe will become famous soon enough
New England
MC Status: 110
Re: [IDM / Glitchy]

Extremely dramatic, powerful sounds. Sounds really crisp to me. One of the bass voices is a little too muddied for my ears. Feels like it could have more depth. The pitch is on point, just its like a soft wall of bass.

At about 3 minutes in I find myself losing interest. Around 3:20 it starts to get crazy again and my ears perked back up, but I was definitely getting bored and wanted to press next. The bored feeling definitely goes away later, so maybe its the beginning that's a little too repetitive.

I think the polyrhythms you have going in the synth voices is greatly intricate. You're really dialed into something here.

And yes, this is a far out track. Probably not too accessible to the mainstream beyond a soundtrack score...but to my ears it is amazing! Great work. Great composition. I would be curious to see your writing process.
DoYouSeeWhatISe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:11 PM   #3
steeboo
IDMf Artist
steeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MC
montfoort

Cool thanks for the review. I'll have a look at the bass... I'll have to wait a little and listen later again with fresh ears for I have worked too long on this and can't hear the repetition anymore But do you think the first 2 minutes part should be shorter, or the middle part, as that is where you lost interest?

------------------
Old 05-02-2018, 06:37 PM   #4
DoYouSeeWhatISe
Minor Glitch
DoYouSeeWhatISe will become famous soon enoughDoYouSeeWhatISe will become famous soon enough
New England
MC Status: 110

I would say that the beginning carries on for too long, but afterwards the variety is often enough to keep it the same.
DoYouSeeWhatISe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:22 AM   #5
steeboo
IDMf Artist
montfoort
Re: [IDM / Glitchy] SB-Six - Bizar

Cool, I'll revisit it next week to see what I can change... Thanks for the input!

------------------
Old 24-02-2018, 07:45 PM   #6
steeboo
IDMf Artist
montfoort

Ok made some updates on this, removed some blocks from the first part and some other tweaks. Feels (nearly) finished now. Thanks for the input

------------------
Old 24-02-2018, 11:09 PM   #7
ms_
IDMf Artist
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 133110
Thanked 2,662 Times in 1,544 Posts

this is cool, would be a decent closing track for an album. It has this old-school IDM vibe (I don't even listen to IDM but that's all my knowledge of the genre). Last minute is unnecessary because it's not very audible compared to the rest, unless you bounced it by accident. Production is good, loud and clear (listening on headphones because that's all I have).

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 12:01 AM   #8
steeboo
IDMf Artist
montfoort

Cheers man, thanks for this! You are completely right, the tail is way too long, i'll cut that off and call it a wrap (or whatever that is called in English )

------------------
Old 25-02-2018, 11:12 PM   #9
PPNDP
Soundwave Mangler
PPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1760

I am not a listener of new idm stuff but this one is really good as it sounds more traditional and analog; especially synths are old school - very trancey. I would recommend further work on music and just throw away this list from aliens .
10/10
PPNDP is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 10:34 AM   #10
Dokan
Analog Lurker
Dokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant future
Hamburg
MC Status: 1860

just a funny thing:
i was hit play and start reading the comments, while the track plays... so, while reading i thought "this is a cool intro, really like that... the drop-like part will be awesome" ... i was reading more... than... scrolling down "man, this is a long intro... when does the main part starts?" ... "oh, oh, oh, ok... the track is almost over... okay"

Anyway i like it, very well done, even while i expected some killer breakbeat drop afterwards...
Dokan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 12:20 PM   #11
steeboo
IDMf Artist
montfoort

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPNDP View Post
I am not a listener of new idm stuff but this one is really good as it sounds more traditional and analog; especially synths are old school - very trancey. I would recommend further work on music and just throw away this list from aliens .
10/10
Haha you've read the description, ace response There's a lot of analog going on indeed. 90% is eurorack stuff, with novation peak for the poly sounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedOperator View Post
just a funny thing:
i was hit play and start reading the comments, while the track plays... so, while reading i thought "this is a cool intro, really like that... the drop-like part will be awesome" ... i was reading more... than... scrolling down "man, this is a long intro... when does the main part starts?" ... "oh, oh, oh, ok... the track is almost over... okay"

Anyway i like it, very well done, even while i expected some killer breakbeat drop afterwards...
Ok good to hear

------------------
Old 02-03-2018, 04:28 AM   #12
tvmcc
Soundscaper
tvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MC
MC Status: 2522704

SteebO!

Solid tune! This is defiantly on for the select! haha..

The first few minutes of the tune could be a little shorter.

Also for me the pad builds in the first build could be dialed back a bit, possibly a little gain staging to get them a bit softer in the mix.

The transition that comes in at 2:57 is what my what i'd love to hear come in way sooner! Thus maybe giving those pads a chance to be faded or something.

As already mentioned yeah the composition on this one is super fun. It makes me think of what if Herbie Handcock met apex twin, and then came along a few aliens who abducted them both and said, vibe out together here, and create!

Stellar tune, thanks for sharing!
tvmcc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:03 PM   #13
Matech
Granular Poster
Matech has a spectacular aura aboutMatech has a spectacular aura aboutMatech has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

really enjoyed the track. seems we have some similar preferences with sound. nice one!

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by mute machine View Post
never too much, if a song doesn't sound right, delete what doesn't sound right or just keep it, add more then label it as experimental...
Matech is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:56 PM   #14
steeboo
IDMf Artist
montfoort

Cheers tvmcc I cannot find ways to make it shorter without destroying the track, maybe I should have a listen after a few weeks, then usually I understand comments alot better I'll have a listen to the mix of the pads, thanks.

Thanks Matech! Yes there are some really cool things on your cloud too, well done!

Advertisements

------------------