Moderat II - Mark (interlude)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 18-05-2016, 06:40 PM   #1
Dark Opera
Minor Glitch
Dark Opera is a glorious beacon of lightDark Opera is a glorious beacon of lightDark Opera is a glorious beacon of lightDark Opera is a glorious beacon of lightDark Opera is a glorious beacon of light
London
MC Status: 460
Moderat II - Mark (interlude)

Hi everyone,
i was wondering if any of you has an idea on how to recreate the bass in Mark (interlude) the first song of moderat's second album. It's not wobbling.... it's really like a growl. I guess there's a lot of processing involved but i m really curious.

Can't post links because of my post count

Thanks

Advertisements

Dark Opera is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 06:59 PM   #2
lrn5043
Regular Freak
lrn5043 is a jewel in the roughlrn5043 is a jewel in the roughlrn5043 is a jewel in the roughlrn5043 is a jewel in the rough
State College, PA
MC Status: 310
Re: Moderat II - Mark (interlude)

I'm not sure I understand which bass sound you're referring to. There seems to be a bunch of wobbly bass frequencies coming in and out. Did you mean Bad Kingdom by them instead? That has a really growly/wobbly bass throughout the song that's pretty distinct, and it comes after The Mark.
lrn5043 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 07:04 PM   #3
Dark Opera
Minor Glitch
Dark Opera is a glorious beacon of lightDark Opera is a glorious beacon of lightDark Opera is a glorious beacon of lightDark Opera is a glorious beacon of lightDark Opera is a glorious beacon of light
London

No, the song is really the first one, "mark (interlude)". I'm curious to understand how that bass is assembled. It's not a real bassline, it just add some character to the atmospheric pads. But it's really intriguing, as it's not really wobbling, but has a lot of movement.

Thanks.
Old 18-05-2016, 08:53 PM   #4
lrn5043
Regular Freak
lrn5043 is a jewel in the roughlrn5043 is a jewel in the roughlrn5043 is a jewel in the roughlrn5043 is a jewel in the rough
State College, PA
MC Status: 310

Well all the guys in Moderat are geniuses in their own right so it's probably some strange German sorcery they worked out with VSTs they coded themselves.

But if I had to take a stab at what it actually might be, it sounds like they might be tracking a few (3-4) different bass loops/sequences that they let run continuously, mixing them in and out and tweaking amp and filter EG attack/release time and filter EG depth on the fly. That's what I would do to make something like that.

Moderat is one of my absolute favorite groups, by the way. II was what really got me into electronic music.
lrn5043 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lrn5043
SKYCORE (18-05-2016)
Old 18-05-2016, 09:07 PM   #5
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53360
Thanked 1,067 Times in 763 Posts

could use a trumpet sample, muted trumpet, filters, compress to taste or whatever. reverb/delays for fun in the sun

i forgot which one sounded more like a fart/trumpet square or triangle, one of them, reverb, short attack, or just mess with the ADSR to taste, mess with the filter. there is some LFO work in there too. there is alot of movement though, so parameters are changing and evolving, probably what intrigues you.

this is a filler/spambient track, they were probably fucking around and it just sounded good. i think they (moderat/apparat) use alot of modular equipment and fatty old synths.

i also hope i was hearing the same sound you did, assuming that mid range trumpet kind of call. the lower bits are just LFO/sub stuff, make it all thick. and yeah you gotta get your post count up. it sucks, i bet some people ignore the post just cause they don't want to go look up the track xD

Last edited by SKYCORE; 18-05-2016 at 09:13 PM..
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 09:14 PM   #6
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53360
Thanked 1,067 Times in 763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrn5043 View Post
But if I had to take a stab at what it actually might be, it sounds like they might be tracking a few (3-4) different bass loops/sequences that they let run continuously, mixing them in and out and tweaking amp and filter EG attack/release time and filter EG depth on the fly. That's what I would do to make something like that.
this idea is cool too
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 09:51 PM   #7
Dark Opera
Minor Glitch
London

Hey very interesting approaches here.
I guessed it s a sort of multi layered sound, kind of offsetting different length, and textures.. i like its deep and organic nature. Actually i really loved their first album. It felt like something really new and fresh. But some tracks are still very interesting, like this intro.

What i found really cool is to think of it as a low pitched trumpet. I didn't really imagine it, and it's cool how the mind can trick into different impressions.

I guess my interest in that type of sound is because i already happened to stomp on something like that while mangling sounds. But i can't remember how, and i guess it depended on the nature of the sound i was manipulating, so i can't recall a formula to that process.

Thanks for the link, yes not being able to post them is annoying, but i guess that at some point i ll be promoted to the next level :-)
Old 19-05-2016, 01:09 PM   #8
2DC
Soundwave Mangler
2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute
Edinburgh
MC Status: 2910

I was lucky enough to catch Moderat on their lastest tour recently, amazing show, absolutely stunning both visually and musically. A collaboration of two of my favourite artists = my favourite band. Love em.

Advertisements

------------------
I have nothing new for you to listen to.
2DC is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote