What is Komplete Battery 4 and what's the advantage?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:45 PM   #1
samk44
Radial Developer
samk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to behold
New York
MC Status: 860
What is Komplete Battery 4 and what's the advantage?

What is Komplete Battery 4?

As I have understood it, its for drum "pattern" creation. You can do this in FL easily enough.

Why would you want to use it compared to a pattern sequencer in FL studio?

I don't know much about the VST so perhaps someone that uses it might want to share some knowledge.

Thanks

Advertisements

samk44 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:47 PM   #2
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59510
Thanked 1,190 Times in 791 Posts
Re: What is Komplete Battery 4, and whats the advantage?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:51 PM   #3
samk44
Radial Developer
samk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to behold
New York

Lmao. Alright you got me, I am being lazy. I will look into it more, but If anyone wants to share, feel free.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:53 PM   #4
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59510
Thanked 1,190 Times in 791 Posts

short version: not just a sequencer. It's a drum sampler that comes with a shit loads of drum kits/samples. Not sure about the more advanced features and how they compare to FL Studio as I never use it and never used FL either...

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:55 PM   #5
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42415749
Thanked 5,635 Times in 3,659 Posts

Its a huge library of drum kits, with the ability to change them, alter or replace the sounds, or mix the kits. You can also create your own custom drum kits from external samples. Battery allows you to apply FX and mix the kits however you want. It has very flexible midi channel and audio channel assignments so you can easily mix the output e.g. bass drum to an audio channel, snare(s) to a different audio channel and so on, either mono or stereo.

Midi input is also programmable so you can change the way a drum sound responds to velocity, not just for volume.

I use it a lot. It is excellent.

------------------
2nd Aug 2018, your audio dreams come true:

Its free, grab it, contribute if you like it. Then make some of your own and join in.
Roo Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Roo Stercogburn
samk44 (06-01-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 07:40 PM   #6
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776

Quote:
Originally Posted by samk44 View Post
What is Komplete Battery 4?

As I have understood it, its for drum "pattern" creation.
Then you do not understand it.
It's a sample player designed for drums, I'm not even sure it has any sequencer for "pattern" creation, It certainly didn't in version 3 (which is what I have).

------------------
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:27 PM   #7
LustHouse
Analog Lurker
LustHouse is a glorious beacon of lightLustHouse is a glorious beacon of lightLustHouse is a glorious beacon of lightLustHouse is a glorious beacon of lightLustHouse is a glorious beacon of lightLustHouse is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

It's just a library. At some point when you know your DAW enough things like battery become obsolete.
LustHouse is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:34 PM   #8
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39281549
Thanked 1,180 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samk44 View Post
As I have understood it, its for drum "pattern" creation. You can do this in FL easily enough.

Other people in this thread: I haven't used Battery in a long, long time... Does it do sequencing now? Would be interesting if it could internally modulate its awesome sampling features

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:03 AM   #9
vashima
IDMf Supporter
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13560

I use Battery 4 within pro tools and unless it is super hidden, there is no sequencing within battery. It is just a sampler/router for use in the DAW.

Last edited by vashima; 10-01-2016 at 12:08 AM..
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:05 AM   #10
Roo Stercogburn
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback

No sequencing. Its just one of the best goddamn drum libraries you can get.

------------------

Its free, grab it, contribute if you like it. Then make some of your own and join in.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:56 AM   #11
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,549 Times in 2,148 Posts

No sequencing and it's not a sample library for drums. That's like saying Kontakt is a sample player... Tards!

Battery is a digital drumming app. It's extremely powerful with the ability to build sample layers, pad groups and matrices.

In the hands of a skilled drummer it sounds amazing.
In the hands of your average electronic musician, you can take it or leave it because most of them think it's a sample player thus have no idea how to use it.

But yeah. It's deep as fuck.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 01:08 AM   #12
Roo Stercogburn
On horseback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
No sequencing and it's not a sample library for drums. That's like saying Kontakt is a sample player... Tards!

Battery is a digital drumming app. It's extremely powerful with the ability to build sample layers, pad groups and matrices.

In the hands of a skilled drummer it sounds amazing.
In the hands of your average electronic musician, you can take it or leave it because most of them think it's a sample player thus have no idea how to use it.

But yeah. It's deep as fuck.
Its a sample library for drums with some very good bells and whistles that gives more, the more you delve. Stop being a dick.

------------------

Thanks to Roo Stercogburn
vashima (10-01-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 01:56 AM   #13
samk44
Radial Developer
New York

I just assumed it was a sequencer because the promo video portrayed it that way, IMO.

I think LustHouse is correct. Battery offers a pitch modifer, compression, reverb and a couple of more things. Nothing I couldn't achieve in the DAW itself. When I tried Battery 4 out, the compression and reverb were actually pretty limited in terms of tweaking/adjusting to be honest.

Still getting familiar with it, maybe I will find some useful functions in there soon.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:12 AM   #14
vashima
IDMf Supporter
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho

No sequencer within the plug-in itself, to answer the OP's Q. Battery is a broad and diverse program, capable of mangling and smooshing all sorts of samples. I'm not going to write a god damn review/ users manual about it. I use it every day, no sequencer, but very slick and usable for far more than drums. *mostly drums though
Old 10-01-2016, 08:38 AM   #15
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39281549
Thanked 1,180 Times in 758 Posts

Hmmm.... I imagine using Battery as the module for an electronic drum kit would be balls-to-the-wall amazing. Probably loads of people who use it like that.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:10 AM   #16
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
Its a sample library for drums with some very good bells and whistles that gives more, the more you delve. Stop being a dick.
Calling something what it is != being a dick.

OP is asking is Battery worth it. A lot of people are saying that it's a great sample library, which is really reductive.

I'm saying that if that's all you see it as, then it's not worth it. Unless you're not into playing/sequencing drums, either by way of an electric kit or trigger pads you're not getting much out of it.

If it's just going to be a glorified sample library, it's not worth the $200+ price tag. The price tag will get you a whole lot more samples with the added advantage that the ones you choose for yourself won't be sitting on millions of hard drives around the world.

If you fall into the above category, the only time Battery IS worth it is when you're buying Komplete... Because it's already included in the price tag.

And if you're going to buy it and then use a keyboard, or just sequence with a mousepad, then most of what Battery offers is lost on you. You can't really make good use of pad multis, drum response, timbre etc. Most of the great features of Battery will mostly be unused by people without some kind of trigger pads unless they are ridiculously gifted at writing MIDI programs.

If you have Maschine it's great. Especially if you actually know how to route in Maschine properly and can set up pad groups and banks. I've had a lot of fun with Battery 3 setting Maschine up as a 4 and 8 drum kit which makes for a lot of fun.

But anyway, I guess I'm still a dick for thinking $200+ for a sample library (which let's face it is pretty standard) is a waste of money. Carry on.
Thanks to Jaded
Muse-ic (10-01-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 10:13 AM   #17
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Well, I suppose you could set up pad groups and multis with a MIDI keyboard controller. But you would essentially be mapping out something to mash hands on. It wouldn't be a very fluid experience and it's also not going to be very kind to your keybed... because basically you're essentially going to be using each hand to mash down on groups of keys at a time.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:44 AM   #18
vashima
IDMf Supporter
Pocatello, Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
A lot of people are saying that it's a great sample library, which is really reductive.
I certainly agree with you on that
Old 11-01-2016, 04:45 AM   #19
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashima View Post
I certainly agree with you on that
Yeah, I'm not saying don't buy it at all. I'm just saying you're better of saving to buy Komplete, or using the money for something else than a standalone copy.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:05 PM   #20
Joel Krift
IDMf's latest spammer
Joel Krift will become famous soon enough
Vancouver Island
MC Status: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by LustHouse View Post
It's just a library. At some point when you know your DAW enough things like battery become obsolete.
I Agree with this but it has a great layout and awesome drum kits. If you like to layer your hits this can be done quickly with a lot of control in Battery.

Advertisements

Joel Krift is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote