Trippy Dark Downtempo recs - Page 8
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Ambient / Downtempo Discussion of music similar to Brian Eno, Sigur Rós, FSOL, The Orb, Biosphere.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:06 AM   #141
clocolan
Analog Lurker
clocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant future
Providence, RI
MC Status: 1910
Re: Trippy Dark Downtempo recs

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Yeah I'm definitely more lo-fi/shoegaze than dark downtempo...

I wonder if you'd like Infinite Scale - his 'Ad Infinitum' album is superb; tracks like 'Step Above The Surface' and 'Liquid Shock'. It's also some of the coolest album artwork.

Advertisements

clocolan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:44 AM   #142
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp
Orchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MC
MC Status: 65296996

You know, a lot of the Aleph Zero stuff takes a bit of time to get into...

There's a lot of beautiful music in their catalog. I wouldn't be so quick to pass on it.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Anyway, at the moment though, unfortunately it seems like the label is inactive and that all CDs were sold out.

Orchidaceae is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:49 AM   #143
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp
Orchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MC

Old 07-01-2017, 05:38 PM   #144
Sammysong
Master of the LFO
Sammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MC
Bat Country
MC Status: 4046847

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidaceae View Post
You know, a lot of the Aleph Zero stuff takes a bit of time to get into...

There's a lot of beautiful music in their catalog. I wouldn't be so quick to pass on it.

Anyway, at the moment though, unfortunately it seems like the label is inactive and that all CDs were sold out.

Definitely true; I have spend many evenings sitting through Invisible Allies' Conversation with Bees; it remains such a beautiful album; the subtleties, the ambient, the sound, etc.

Some of Hibernation's tracks are also to my liking, but indeed, the whole catalog is to be explored with care and time.

------------------
Sammysong is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Sammysong
Orchidaceae (08-01-2017)
Old 16-01-2017, 02:15 PM   #145
androdion
Microknight
androdion is a name known to allandrodion is a name known to allandrodion is a name known to allandrodion is a name known to allandrodion is a name known to allandrodion is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

Well I did spend some time with the Aleph Zero stuff, but it's just a case of the style not being my thing. I like some of the elements in the music, some full songs even, but I can't say I properly enjoy a full album from its catalogue. It's cool stuff but just not for me.

I'm not familiar with any of the last three artists mentioned so I'll give them a look as soon as I can. Thanks guys!
androdion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #146
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

Old 21-01-2017, 03:04 PM   #147
androdion
Microknight
androdion is a name known to allandrodion is a name known to allandrodion is a name known to allandrodion is a name known to allandrodion is a name known to allandrodion is a name known to all

You don't give up on trying to convert me into Marconi Union do you?!

I'm a bit swamped at the moment, haven't had a chance to check the previous recs, but I will eventually.
Old 22-01-2017, 02:50 AM   #148
androdion
Microknight

Managed to have some spare time and gave these a go:

- Diamondstein: Starts off nicely, cyber-creepy and dark, but then starts getting a bit technoid which is something I don't really appreciate. It has an interesting sci-fi atmosphere throughout the whole recording, and some moments are genuinely good for my ears, but looking at the big picture it's a bit out of my comfort zone. Plus it's either digital or tape so no go for me.

- Fatih Tuter: I kind of like it, I kind of don't. Really can't tell right now to which side of the equation it will drop. On one hand I like the ambience and atmosphere, but on the other the dynamics aren't very engaging. The closer makes me think of Krusseldorf while some of the tracks in the middle of the album have a bit of reminiscence from James Murray's electroacustic stuff (in terms on dynamic interplay and sound, not style). I'll give the album a few more chances to see where it stands.
Old 23-01-2017, 01:42 PM   #149
androdion
Microknight

Heard Infinite Scale and it's not really my cup of tea, though it's an interesting mix of sounds. Thanks anyway.
Old 23-01-2017, 08:32 PM   #150
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

Don't remember if I recommended it already or not...anyway, pulled the CD out today and played it a couple of times...really good stuff.

Old 24-01-2017, 02:21 AM   #151
androdion
Microknight

You did, but thanks anyway.
Old 27-03-2017, 05:59 AM   #152
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

Old 27-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #153
androdion
Microknight

Old 22-04-2017, 08:54 PM   #154
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

Old 23-04-2017, 02:12 PM   #155
androdion
Microknight

That's actually a sweet sweet album! I put it playing when I woke up and it was a nice company for lunch with the family. The guy sure has an extensive discography though, any pointers there?

The Tosca album I didn't like much to be honest.
Old 24-04-2017, 03:43 AM   #156
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdion View Post
That's actually a sweet sweet album! I put it playing when I woke up and it was a nice company for lunch with the family. The guy sure has an extensive discography though, any pointers there?
Well, you can still get the CD at Psyshop or Goastore I believe.

As for his other stuff, I think it's mainly trance...not sure though.

Old 24-04-2017, 09:50 AM   #157
androdion
Microknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidaceae View Post
Well, you can still get the CD at Psyshop or Goastore I believe.

As for his other stuff, I think it's mainly trance...not sure though.

I checked his BC page and yeah, it's mostly trance, though Subliminal Melancholies does seem to be in line with Sweet Sadness.
Old 20-05-2017, 05:33 PM   #158
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

Old 02-06-2017, 12:10 PM   #159
scootmcgoof
IDMf's latest spammer
scootmcgoof will become famous soon enoughscootmcgoof will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Making my first post on this board after some googling of terms related to a sound I've been searching for brought me to this thread. Got some good recommendations like some of the tympanik artists but I'm still on the hunt for an artist that *really* satisfies. I made a reddit thread in my quest earlier today but I figured this could be a good crowd to ask as well. I'll paste the contents of that post:

I really enjoy a lot of downtempo/dub/psytrance material but have been having a really difficult time finding things that utilize a lot of the bassy, high-def sounds that those genres utilize so well but eschew the dance elements enough to be considered truly "ambient music" instead of an ambient influenced subgenre of their respective school of production. I don't mind some percussive elements or clicky/glitchy textures as long as they have more to do with build and release of tension than actually creating a beat. A good example of what I'm talking about here would be the first track on Ambientium's Fall EP or maybe some of the beatless passages on the first Shpongle album. Ultimae, of course, has a lot that comes close but is still too beat oriented. I also really enjoy the angular but still smooth and glossy "revolving" sounds that a 'future bass' type project like Resonant Language or Bogtrotter might utilize. This seems like a style there should be more of out there but I've been having a devil of a time finding stuff that really goes for it timbre-wise but shows enough restraint on the dance aspects. Any leads??
scootmcgoof is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Author & Punisher - Ursus Americanus
Old 02-06-2017, 07:13 PM   #160
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootmcgoof View Post
Making my first post on this board after some googling of terms related to a sound I've been searching for brought me to this thread. Got some good recommendations like some of the tympanik artists but I'm still on the hunt for an artist that *really* satisfies. I made a reddit thread in my quest earlier today but I figured this could be a good crowd to ask as well. I'll paste the contents of that post:

I really enjoy a lot of downtempo/dub/psytrance material but have been having a really difficult time finding things that utilize a lot of the bassy, high-def sounds that those genres utilize so well but eschew the dance elements enough to be considered truly "ambient music" instead of an ambient influenced subgenre of their respective school of production. I don't mind some percussive elements or clicky/glitchy textures as long as they have more to do with build and release of tension than actually creating a beat. A good example of what I'm talking about here would be the first track on Ambientium's Fall EP or maybe some of the beatless passages on the first Shpongle album. Ultimae, of course, has a lot that comes close but is still too beat oriented. I also really enjoy the angular but still smooth and glossy "revolving" sounds that a 'future bass' type project like Resonant Language or Bogtrotter might utilize. This seems like a style there should be more of out there but I've been having a devil of a time finding stuff that really goes for it timbre-wise but shows enough restraint on the dance aspects. Any leads??
Try these...hope that will help...

Advertisements