Recommended Texts on Tempo/Time Signatures?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:26 AM   #1
jds1
Eternal Echoer
jds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MC
Brisbane
MC Status: 2797866
Recommended Texts on Tempo/Time Signatures?

I'm trying to find some acredited texts on tempo/time signature/measure/shifts analysis and their use primarily in relation to classical music (which of course can be applied towards modern music)

Ive found great info/pdfs on harmony, arrangement, orchestration but as yet not the issue of timing etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Advertisements

jds1 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:58 AM   #2
Solarite
-
Solarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MC
Mid
MC Status: 63769944
Re: Recommended Texts on Tempo/Time Signatures?

I got well into time sigs at one point and found the best tool to be Youtube. Type in 13/16 time signature and you can guarantee there's some drummer somewhere demonstrating.

I've never read a book on it and I think I have a pretty decent grasp.

------------------
Solarite is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:53 AM   #3
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

May I ask why?

Its not like them classics are known for their tight rhythms

how they build up sound is great though drop etc
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
IamOthello
Radial Developer
IamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to all
Small town Indiana.
MC Status: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crude_beats View Post
May I ask why?

Its not like them classics are known for their tight rhythms

how they build up sound is great though drop etc
Are you kidding me? the classics are definitely known for their "tight" innovative rhythms. Debussy has incredible rhythmic blurring to the point where you can hardly hear a downbeat. Edgard Varese wrote some of the most complicated rhythms there is. Stravinsky wrote rhythms that still throw off professional orchestras. Look at some of Chopins piano rhythms, 22nd tuplets? 37 tuplets? Etc.

------------------
"We are masters of the unsaid words, yet slaves of those we let slip out."

zheaerosemusic.bandcamp.com
IamOthello is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamOthello View Post
Are you kidding me? the classics are definitely known for their "tight" innovative rhythms. Debussy has incredible rhythmic blurring to the point where you can hardly hear a downbeat. Edgard Varese wrote some of the most complicated rhythms there is. Stravinsky wrote rhythms that still throw off professional orchestras. Look at some of Chopins piano rhythms, 22nd tuplets? 37 tuplets? Etc.
Links! I'm probably to biased and I don't listen much to it.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
IamOthello
Radial Developer
IamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to all
Small town Indiana.
MC Status: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crude_beats View Post
Links! I'm probably to biased and I don't listen much to it.

Try counting this, it's so difficult. I have played timpani for this piece and almost every bar changes meter. There are so many intricate polyrhythms in this work. At some points stravinsky writes 3 over 4 over 5 over 7 over 9. Seriously, listen atleast 2 minutes into it;

Obscuring of the downbeat through phrase elision;

Insane rhythmic cross rhythms, 7s over 3s, etc.

Some of the runs in this are insane rhythms;

Just a bit. It's true, most of the music up till the Romantic period has rather static rhythm but that is because the Classical period emphasized regular phrase structure, balance, and symmetry. This aesthetic trait was revived from the older Greek and Roman artist philosophy. That is why the Classical period is called Classical, artists sought to revive classical antiquity. Most music after Beethoven begins to take on greater rhythmic complexity. Beethoven had some fun hemiolas in his symphonies!

------------------
"We are masters of the unsaid words, yet slaves of those we let slip out."

zheaerosemusic.bandcamp.com
IamOthello is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
Crude_beats
Banned

Man the first one u posted is totally awesome. You won me over with that one.

Why not just try and replicate it?

Advertisements