Can you record from modular synth by using midi notes/file?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 15-06-2016, 01:08 AM   #1
pavleas
Radial Developer
pavleas is a splendid one to beholdpavleas is a splendid one to beholdpavleas is a splendid one to beholdpavleas is a splendid one to beholdpavleas is a splendid one to beholdpavleas is a splendid one to behold
Athens
MC Status: 660
Icon5 Can you record from modular synth by using midi notes/file?

So my question is, if you have the vst plugin of your modular hardware synth, instead of recording while playing, can you create a melody from your daw and make that melody get recorded from the hardware synth? sorry if stupid question but i can't find the answer anywhere.

Advertisements

------------------
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
https://soundcloud.com/pavleas/excep...ion-3-by-knkuc
pavleas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 07:29 AM   #2
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 20560
Re: Can you record from modular synth by using midi notes/file?

Of course you can send Midi from your DAW to a modular synth - You need an USB/Midi to CV Interface - but what do mean with "Vst plugin of your modular hardware synth"? Are you talking about Expert Sleepers Silent Way?
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Schnork
pavleas (15-06-2016)
Old 15-06-2016, 09:47 AM   #3
Emmanuel G.
Microknight
Emmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2310

with a modular, your imagination (and wallet, also) are the limit.
if you can think it, chances are, you can do it, if you can afford it (or build it)

I've been learning to play with modular as well myself.

Right now I got a few modules (moog m32, doepfer wasp filter, pittsburgh enveloppe and a switched multi, also counting my ms20 since I use its lfos and evenloppes too)

last thing I've tried and succeeded was to play a melody via midi on my minilogue, sent the audio out in the wasp filter, controlled the filter via midi sequence to cv using the mother32's assignable output (this thing is a killer)
The mother 32 was just there to get the signal back from the wasp filter from ext audio patch point, wide open filter (could have gone further but I still wanted it to remain musical, as it was a bassline)

So yea, you can pretty much do anything with a modular <3

Eurorack format is really great!
Emmanuel G. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Emmanuel G.
pavleas (15-06-2016)
Old 15-06-2016, 04:48 PM   #4
pavleas
Radial Developer
pavleas is a splendid one to beholdpavleas is a splendid one to beholdpavleas is a splendid one to beholdpavleas is a splendid one to beholdpavleas is a splendid one to beholdpavleas is a splendid one to behold
Athens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnork View Post
Of course you can send Midi from your DAW to a modular synth - You need an USB/Midi to CV Interface - but what do mean with "Vst plugin of your modular hardware synth"? Are you talking about Expert Sleepers Silent Way?
thanks for replying both.what i mean is for instance i have the novation bass station 2. If i find the plugin version of it (if there is one) could i create sounds and then send them to the modular and record them. But u already both replied. Thanks a lot guyz!!

------------------
Old 16-06-2016, 07:01 AM   #5
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744049941
Thanked 7,652 Times in 4,717 Posts

No.
You are completely confused.
VST's are usually completely independent from their hardware counterparts, unless they're designed, built and sold as a specific controller for the synth.
People who own the real synth rarely buy the vst too.
What would be the point? Apart from possibly sketching songs out on laptop when away from the hardware synth.
Think of vst's as the software equivalent of the hardware synth instead of any kind of controller.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
pavleas (20-06-2016)
Old 16-06-2016, 07:09 AM   #6
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC

Also there is actually no Bass Station 2 Vst - It's the original Bass Station

Ayways...
What are you trying to do? Do you want to send a melody to your Bass Station 2 and record in your DAW?
Thanks to Schnork
pavleas (20-06-2016)
Old 20-06-2016, 04:32 AM   #7
pavleas
Radial Developer
Athens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnork View Post
Also there is actually no Bass Station 2 Vst - It's the original Bass Station

Ayways...
What are you trying to do? Do you want to send a melody to your Bass Station 2 and record in your DAW?
aagh i hate when i make noob quenstions and confuse everyone!! Let's say I have created a melody in FL studio. I want to somehow record that melody through my bass station 2, using the melody.mid file, since it will be probably more correct than recording while playing it. So basically the answer to your question is yes

Last edited by pavleas; 20-06-2016 at 05:13 AM..

------------------
Old 20-06-2016, 06:05 AM   #8
Schnork
IDMf Artist

No worries!

Yeah, of course you can do that, but usually you would just put in the notes in the piano roll instead of using a .mid file - I don't know how to set it up in FL Studio though - I'm using Ableton. The Bass Station 2 does Midi over usb, right? Basically you just have to plug in your Bass Station's usb and audio (maybe you have to enable it in the preferences) and then choose the right Ins n Outs ) Sure someone else can help you out!
Thanks to Schnork
pavleas (20-06-2016)
Old 28-06-2016, 05:09 AM   #9
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,549 Times in 2,148 Posts

If you have the Bass Station plugged in to your computer via USB you should be able to activate it as a MIDI device in Fruity:

Setup Wizard: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

MIDI Settings Docs: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Once you've added it as an output device, you can use the MIDI out plugin:

MIDI Out Plugin: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

After you've correctly configured the MIDI out plugin and can control the Bass Station II there's a heap of parameters which you can control via Fruity including oscillation, filters, LFOs etc.

I suggest checking out the MIDI parameters Appendix in the Bass Station manual as they are all documented:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

But basically, you add a control to the MIDI out plugin and assign it to the corresponding CC for the Bass Station parameter that you want to control.

Then you can fully automate the synth's performance in the box and record it when you're done.

Advertisements

Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote