Steinberg ending support for VST2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 19-05-2018, 06:29 PM   #1
Artificer
Eternal Echoer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 46460
Steinberg ending support for VST2

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Long time coming, but it's apparently officially official:

Quote:
From October 2018 onward we are closing down the second version of VST for good. While the VST 2 SDK has been unavailable, and so have maintenance and technical support, the subset within the VST 3 SDK will also be omitted.
Interested to see what this means going forward for plugins and DAWs that have relied on VST2 support.

I kinda hope this prods someone like Duda or Slate's army of programmers to sit down and write an open source, reasonable-to-implement plugin format that gets picked up, and takes it out of a proprietary vendor's hands. Bonus points if it ports easily to Linux.

Last edited by Artificer; 19-05-2018 at 06:40 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
A.M (19-05-2018)
Old 19-05-2018, 07:25 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 218010
Thanked 4,360 Times in 3,237 Posts
Re: Steinberg ending support for VST2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Long time coming, but it's apparently officially official:

Interested to see what this means going forward for plugins and DAWs that have relied on VST2 support.

I kinda hope this prods someone like Duda or Slate's army of programmers to sit down and write an open source, reasonable-to-implement plugin format that gets picked up, and takes it out of a proprietary vendor's hands. Bonus points if it ports easily to Linux.
Bummer

I knew it was going to happen at some point, but I honestly thought most developers would have offered upgrades to customers to VST3 by then..which hasn't happened for the most part.

Granted..more and more developers are now offering VST3 versions of their software, but many more have yet to make that jump..which made me smile when I read this on their site..

“We appreciate that developers and users alike gravitate strongly toward the VST 3 interface that comes with many technological advancements."

Looks like we're all going to be faced with buying the new VST3 versions..which, again, was kind of a given. I just hope the DAW makers out thee continue to support VST2 in their future updates and don't drop it altogether, seeing as there's no longer any official support for it.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 08:44 PM   #3
MFXxx
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1847877
Thanked 1,048 Times in 705 Posts

Not sure how long ago, earlier last year as I recall, wasn't there mutterings about vst4? However not got time to re-dig any references, may have simply been a hypothetical post. However I think a lot of the mainstream devs are already lined or lining up for this!

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 09:59 PM   #4
Artificer
Eternal Echoer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 46460

My guess is there'll be quite a few vst2wrapper plugins to choose from for the short term.

The issue is that VST3 really sucks from a development standpoint. The few things it does well (side chaining) are offset by forcing you to do things the VST3 way, which is antithetical to the way C+ developers tend to operate. VST3 is big and cumbersome and requires a lot of buy-in to work with, where VST2 has the methodology of "here's where the audio and MIDI goes, here's patches, here's launching a GUI" and that's it. We're talking about a "new and better standard" that literally doesn't know how to do MIDI learn, and hasn't been implemented for over a decade.

This really reminds me of IPv6: shows up to fix a problem that isn't really a problem yet, is way too complicated for anyone to mess with unless that have to have it, and now, by the time people are actually needing to implement it, is completely outdated and needs to be reworked. I guess that's just the way it goes...

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
A.M (21-05-2018)
Old 20-05-2018, 07:39 AM   #5
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 38310

tbh I've never gotten a vst3 plugin to launch. I work in the archaic world of a 32 bit LAA copy of FL studio 10 with vst 2. It gets the job done. \endupgradepath

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
A.M (21-05-2018)
Old 20-05-2018, 08:19 PM   #6
Metaside
IDMf Artist
Metaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MC
MC Status: 11110

Advertisements

------------------
Metaside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote