Anyone has experience of audio in Unity game engine?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Technology & Lifestyle Gadgets, gaming, computers and new inventions. This forum is not used for music production.

Old 17-03-2018, 05:41 PM   #1
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269486408
Thanked 3,256 Times in 2,140 Posts
Anyone has experience of audio in Unity game engine?

I'm working on a small videogame and I'd like to introduce some adaptive audio, but I can't think of how to implement it.
I can start loops, but what I'm struggling with it starting loops on sync with what is already playing. ie, a drum loop is playing then the next bar the synth comes in in sync.

On top of this I can't code, so I'm doing it all with 3rd party tools like Adventure Creator and I'm using Playmaker to create extra "scripts" for the more complex actions.
Maybe there are third party tools that can take care of this?

Advertisements

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
Roo Stercogburn (20-03-2018)
Old 18-03-2018, 08:48 PM   #2
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7239129
Re: Anyone has experience of audio in Unity game engine?

Unity is a funny thing. You can do anything in it, as long as you are willing to code it yourself. FMod and WWise are the middleware commonly used by larger game studios, and most everyone else that can afford them (or scoot by with a small amount of audio objects). This is largely due to the fact that the Unity team has no idea what audio is and how audio professionals might want to work, and developing your own middleware is expensive enough that only AAA-studios can afford to do that.

For your particular problem however, Unity *does* listen to audio objects ending, so a fairly implementable solution (assuming your audio loops are the same length, I.E 4 bars at a given BPM) would be to have a "master" that loops and whenever it finishes it restarts itself and starts all the other loops that the game state would permit. It will require coding, but not all that much of it.

I can share your pain however. I had a school project making a game in Unity once, and I'm certain that I spent well over 60% of the time trying to figure out how Unity handles audio and coding than actually making audio assets, and then another 30% on actually handling project management stuff (keeping up-to-date on Trello etc).

Still, it's rewarding if you have the time to sink into it. Then again, any industry job as an audio guy will probably require expertise in the two above-mentioned middleware programs (or at least one) anyway, and apart from technical audio work you will probably be able to scoot on with that alone.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Blingley
Automageddon (18-03-2018)
Old 18-03-2018, 09:54 PM   #3
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269486408
Thanked 3,256 Times in 2,140 Posts

Thanks for the info, will look into middleware (I think Wwise is free at my budget range) and see what I can get away with my skills.
I didn't think I needed adaptable audio, so this was not on my radar until I started working on the audio, then I realised I really needed this...

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 09:44 PM   #4
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 22460

i use unreal as its free to download and you pay for what you want plus its got built in audio editor in it
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 08:12 AM   #5
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42417849
Thanked 5,677 Times in 3,690 Posts

I know a genuine expert in Unity. I'll ask. Can't say how long it will take for him to get back to me but maybe he can point me at some useful resources for you.

Advertisements

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Roo Stercogburn
Automageddon (20-03-2018)