getting signed. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:53 AM   #21
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 203410
Thanked 4,068 Times in 3,023 Posts
Re: getting signed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-BDY View Post
Explain me the difference of a record label and an advertising/marketing/branding agency, please!
One doesn't give a fuck, while the other doesn't fucking give enough.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:09 AM   #22
N-BDY
Regular Freak
N-BDY has a spectacular aura aboutN-BDY has a spectacular aura aboutN-BDY has a spectacular aura about
Helsinki
MC Status: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
One doesn't give a fuck, while the other doesn't fucking give enough.
Brilliantly put, dear sir!
N-BDY is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:25 AM   #23
Benwaa

I run a record label.
Primarily what I look for is quality over anything. Just signed a guy who makes amazing music and yet he's only got 30 Facebook followers and 75 odd soundcloud fans. So numera make no difference when the
Music speaks. I must admit I do look at how number popular artists are when I get demos though, it helps decide a couple of things, how well they'll work with you to promote their music that's being signed (if they never update their social media or sc or whatever it's a big red flag to me) and how marketable they are through that too.
At the end of the day a record label is just an agency under a different name. A label has an established network you don't have access to so easy, a label can reach out to "fans" easier than a single artist can. A label will invest their own time, effort and money in an artist, more so than an artist can do so by themselves. So yeah, labels aren't for everyone, but they certainly have their place in the ladder of getting your music out there.

Getting signed in this day and age is a piece of piss, there are a shit ton of labels out there who'll take you music happily regardless of quality, don't go with them as they wont work hard for you either. Aim for the labels you really really want to be on. I recently got a track signed to my ultimate label to release on. Three years I've been sending them tracks, and like a proper
Label should instead of just "no thanks" I got feedback as to why no thanks, which meant I could invest my time in improving my shit to get the standard required (not to mention make a tune that's fitting for that label)
So really, it's up to you what you want. Release with a respected label will take some effort, or release with a two bit pos label that'll never bother with you beyond taking your music from you and not worry so much about your music either.

Self releasing IMO is wank unless you're already established. And your Music is seriously on point. I'd be very surprised how Much artists get back (satisfaction, money, exposure etc) from self releasing if it's more than they invest. There will be exceptions to this of course, but these are they guys generally playing shows and stuff anyway so the exposure is already there.
People see a label as An achievement, whilst in some ways it is and in others it's not, that's the general unconscious perception is that you're releasing on a label means you've a degree of pro about you. That perception is heavily ingrained in human culture and psyche in this day and age so a label will always bring you more cred than you can by yourself if you're an unknown.

So to sum up. Labels do make a big difference. But, they need to be an actively involved label. Your Music needs to be on point and really up To standard. You'll feel many times that it is, but the truth is it'll take years for it to be so, so invest those hours in the studio and stop worrying about exposure if you're still a noob.

Of course there are always exceptions to what I've said. But they're the odd exceptions and the reality is chances are you're not one of them

Last edited by Benwaa; 01-06-2016 at 12:14 PM..
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:40 PM   #24
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 65060
Thanked 1,301 Times in 959 Posts

@Benwaa: What are your thoughts on artistic vision? Most smaller labels are rather genre and style specific. If I see a Kompakt release, I have a very good idea of what to expect, and there are a number of other examples. How much does that figure in?

Also, perhaps related, what does good quality mean? I'm sure it has a technical component, but what other aspects figure in? As a listener, I like either really new sounds and ideas or variations of what I'm familiar with and like. The latter is subjective, and I've wondered if this is at the core of the sound of a label. For example, I'll buy any Kompakt release, frequently without listening, because I know it'll fit my taste. That makes for a good customer-label-artist relationship. Is this done intentionally?

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:46 PM   #25
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744043891
Thanked 7,529 Times in 4,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
I'll buy any Kompakt release, frequently without listening, because I know it'll fit my taste. That makes for a good customer-label-artist relationship. Is this done intentionally?
Yeah, it's no coincidence that labels often have similar sounding artists signed to them.
It's hard enough to gather a following in one genre or style, might aswell keep their attention and sell to them repeatedly instead of rolling the dice every time looking for new fans.
It makes sense though, a lot of people like a lot of music from a particular style, and eventually the relationship becomes somewhat symbiotic, but I'm sure you've seen this yourself.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
liquid_air (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 12:57 PM   #26
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
@Benwaa: What are your thoughts on artistic vision? Most smaller labels are rather genre and style specific. If I see a Kompakt release, I have a very good idea of what to expect, and there are a number of other examples. How much does that figure in?

Also, perhaps related, what does good quality mean? I'm sure it has a technical component, but what other aspects figure in? As a listener, I like either really new sounds and ideas or variations of what I'm familiar with and like. The latter is subjective, and I've wondered if this is at the core of the sound of a label. For example, I'll buy any Kompakt release, frequently without listening, because I know it'll fit my taste. That makes for a good customer-label-artist relationship. Is this done intentionally?

What lolirl said on the latter bit.
Artistic vision is great, but why approach a label that represents garage with your latests house banger or why approach kompakt with a glitches out 180bpm album of noise? Common sense I think answers the first part. Labels want something fresh, but also something that's in line with what they represent too. Remember they're an agency, a brand. No matter how cool Or underground a label is, it's still just an agency and brand for the music and artists it chooses to represent. Be that on a release by release basis or on an actually (and very very rare in electronic music) contracted to the label basis too.
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:20 PM   #27
N-BDY
Regular Freak
N-BDY has a spectacular aura aboutN-BDY has a spectacular aura aboutN-BDY has a spectacular aura about
Helsinki
MC Status: 210

Sound advice!

Anybody know of a list of all the record labes for example in Europe with particular music styles, there's some in wikipedia, but not very comprehensive or easy I think...
N-BDY is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:30 PM   #28
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-BDY View Post
Sound advice!

Anybody know of a list of all the record labes for example in Europe with particular music styles, there's some in wikipedia, but not very comprehensive or easy I think...

not all labels, but best selling sorted by genre

http://www.djtunes.com/charts/label-charts

but noting really beats finding out the labels your favourite artists are on and then google their details

also discogs: https://www.discogs.com/lists/Labels-Techno-INTL/31346
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:22 PM   #29
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
not all labels, but best selling sorted by genre

http://www.djtunes.com/charts/label-charts

but noting really beats finding out the labels your favourite artists are on and then google their details

also discogs: https://www.discogs.com/lists/Labels-Techno-INTL/31346
I know this is a case of bending over with my pants down, but why the hell is there never an Ambient section in any of these fecking things? Chillout, yes..but no Ambient. I mean, it's not like it's a totally unheard of genre these days..and yet it seems to be so hard to find a list of labels dealing with ambient artists. Guess there sod-all money in it for them.

------------------
Old 01-06-2016, 03:37 PM   #30
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
I know this is a case of bending over with my pants down, but why the hell is there never an Ambient section in any of these fecking things? Chillout, yes..but no Ambient. I mean, it's not like it's a totally unheard of genre these days..and yet it seems to be so hard to find a list of labels dealing with ambient artists. Guess there sod-all money in it for them.

you mean like this one: https://www.discogs.com/style/ambient / https://www.discogs.com/search/?style_exact=Ambient

Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Benwaa
A.M (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 03:41 PM   #31
A.M

Quote:
Like I said..here I am..bending over..pants down round the ankles..any moment now.

------------------
Old 03-06-2016, 04:11 PM   #32
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45948131
Thanked 5,799 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktiveight View Post
record labels could care less if youre multi talented. they want to see where the money is

DOLLAR DOLLAR BILL

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
We really are a society of shills giving credence to this olden idea of "being on a label" as b eing some godsend that solves all our musician problems. My advice is to find a label, a SMALL label that isn't in it for the money alone and really wants to put out great art and go with them. The bigger labels are just looking for a bottom line and that puts you at a disadvantage. No one, and i mean no one ever is going to just throw you a record contract and all the sudden you're rolling in it and drinking martinis in Fiji while a bikini girl dry humps your leg and feeds you grapes. Even if you finance everything but printing a run of CDs you're fucked owing a record label for publishing, promo and whatever marketing they do. It's really not worth it imo. Making money from music is a thing of the past unless you get extremely lucky or actually know how to run a succesful label yourself.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:43 PM   #33
Benwaa

for me i sign music on a release by release basis so no one is contracted to the label at all, just the music licensed instead. it's pretty commonplace now for it to be that way in electronic music.
we give 50% royalties after all costs are recouped, again pretty standard, although there is a deviation of 10% either way that i've seen. anything below 50% though isn't fair imo. and for remixes we do a 25% royalty for the remixer and 25% for the original artist. The contract is for a 5 year term.

and i want to say something about to all those who keep moaning that labels are all about money. of course labels are about money you fucktards, they're a business and any business needs to MAKE money to work. so of course any reasonable business minded person wanting their business and livelihood to succeed is going to try to maximize profit aren't they. The ethics of some people's methods is certainly questionable, and morally redundant, but there are many many really fair labels out there, more than not i would say. Just remember they're a business, and that's that
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Benwaa
lolirl (03-06-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 07:02 PM   #34
YoSoyPincho
Microknight
YoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud of
Medellin
MC Status: 1060

I got this "non-exclusive" contract with a small label called Plasmapool some months ago. They are fricking organized with all of the releases, sales and such. You can check them out if you want. They support a wide variety of genres. But i'd suggest you to explore by genres or artists you respect, what labels are they being supported by, and give it a try to contact them. They all have a contact mail on their web page. Also, you should find one that suits your producing style so you don't have to change yours much to please the label you want to get into. If you notice, they all have this "common" style pattern throughout the tracks they release, each label have their own direction, so find one you feel identified with and give it a try.

Good luck.
YoSoyPincho is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to YoSoyPincho
lolirl (03-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #35
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin

Quote:
and i want to say something about to all those who keep moaning that labels are all about money. of course labels are about money you fucktards, they're a business and any business needs to MAKE money to work. so of course any reasonable business minded person wanting their business and livelihood to succeed is going to try to maximize profit aren't they. The ethics of some people's methods is certainly questionable, and morally redundant, but there are many many really fair labels out there, more than not i would say. Just remember they're a business, and that's that
Thanks to Numerical
RFJ (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 02:15 PM   #36
Benwaa

Aww vids blocked
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:23 PM   #37
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Austin

It's the Glengary Glenn Ross Alec Baldwin scene. Maybe I'm just tired of all the money grubbing fucks out there in the world (some of whom i have worked for) that i don't want it anywhere near my music...and of course that is reflected in my op here. I'm mainly telling the OP to be careful when dealing with labels and to try and seek out someONE who cares about the music more than they do the cashflow their label brings in.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:27 PM   #38
Benwaa

They'll never find any label Owner that cares more about one than the other. Unless they're after a low budget label that won't be able to promote at all well due to low budget, and thereby not doing the job of what a label should go. I would say I'm personally more focused on the music than the money, but after a while of it just eating a hole in your pocket you either pull your finger out your arse and make your business work - to the benefit of all involved, or you allow it to fail because it's not viable to keep splurging cash promoting others when the only return is a forgotten release within a week and maybe a thanks from the artist, plus a big red number in your bank account. That's not good for anyone involved.
A good label works with its artists and grows them and helps them exploit opportunities, if the ship is sinking it's a bit hard to do that. That's just common business sense. And really choosing a label is like choosing a job, we all want the best company with the best ethics and best treatment of staff. Unfortunately there's always business that don't give a shit. It's poor to tar all businesses with the same brush just for the behaviour of the shit ones though. It's like saying you worked in McDonald's so now you're super wary to be employed by that billionaire sex hungry cougar as her "personal" assistant with all the benefits you could dream of

Ultimately it all comes down to using a bit of common sense and aiming high from the off until you get there

Last edited by Benwaa; 04-06-2016 at 03:33 PM..
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:11 PM   #39
Benwaa

also on a more positive thing, after a while of making music and sending it to various labels and having no joy, some joy and eventually great joy (if you really push yourself to that) you kind of learn to recognize in your own music when you get it right and when you don't so the whole submitting to labels things gets easier and easier too. pay attention to what rejections actually say, and don't take them to heart. if anyone is critical and not constructive with it, then fuck them! they aren't the people to send your music to anyway
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:19 PM   #40
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20860

I think, I'm going to go ahead and send some demo tracks to the netlabel here.
wish me luck guys.

Advertisements

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote