Techniques on Music Motivation
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:33 PM   #1
NaturalDissolve
Knob Twiddler
NaturalDissolve is a splendid one to beholdNaturalDissolve is a splendid one to beholdNaturalDissolve is a splendid one to beholdNaturalDissolve is a splendid one to beholdNaturalDissolve is a splendid one to beholdNaturalDissolve is a splendid one to beholdNaturalDissolve is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860
Techniques on Music Motivation

I'm trying to develop at system to make myself more motivated, both in general and to make more music. I think I finally hit some ways to motivate myself. I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas on the subject. I'm looking for specific techniques that I haven't thought of yet.

Advertisements

------------------
NaturalDissolve is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:45 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8589930
Thanked 7,980 Times in 5,606 Posts
Re: Techniques on Music Motivation

I was in a creative writing program for graduate school. Almost 100% of those who graduated scheduled specific time day by day to work on their craft. Defining a project to work on helps a lot too. Im really bad at just "making a track". Having a concept for an EP or LP is great...even if the concept doesn't ultimately transer to the audience. Be goal oriented! Create deadlines.

I dont do most of this stuff either, but know it all helps.

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:20 AM   #3
Narukami Music
Master of the LFO
Narukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MC
MC Status: 10160

There's this motivation technique that I started doing last year and it has really helped me improve as a musician. It's called "Don't Break The Chain". I think it was Jerry Seinfeld that popularized this technique. When interviewed how can he create so much great material every year, he said that all he did was get a calendar and a marker pen, he would sit down and he would write a joke. Once he's written that joke, he would go to his calendar and mark an "X" on that day. The next day, he would do it again and repeat the next and repeat. Soon, he had a "chain" of "X"s on his calendar and her told himself he would not break the chain.

That's what I do, I would work on music or do something related to music (such a write ideas, design patches, mix music, make drum patterns), then I'd stop, mark it down on my phone app and repeat the next day. It's helped me a lot because it forces me to constantly TRY each day, even if I'm not feeling it. I don't even work long, just one hour a day is more than enough. Of course, I cheat by just writing stupid little melodies when I'm really lazy but I still tried. Point is, I'm constantly working and creating and it's been helping me stay motivated so much.

Last year, I managed to go full 365 days and then I took a really long break. Currently, as I'm typing this, my chain is 173 days long. 10 more days and I'm gonna be halfway through 365 days

------------------
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:38 AM   #4
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45948631
Thanked 5,809 Times in 3,650 Posts

I read somewhere recently that distractions are a big problem for some people. Put away your phone, turn off your TV, have your musical "station" or studio in a room with no distractions, just you and the music. Don't look at the clock, don't get on the internet, etc. I actually have this problem and it helps to cut all distractions and I get more focused as a result.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
mnkvolcno (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 02:59 PM   #5
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 38210

It's tough for me to give advice because it I go a day without making music I start feeling really weird.

But I will say that the way I got that way was by getting inspired as fuck over and over again. Having my mind blown. I don't really have my mind blown as much anymore, but when I was a kid I was devouring lots of music so I think it just shaped my brain to be inspired.

So, maybe listen to new kinds of music. Seems like the vast majority of people get into a certain genre and stick to it. But there is amazing music of all kinds. Having a really legit new musical experience will motivate you.

The trick is that you have to have an open mind. We humans tend to focus on particular things and then ignore others. So when you listen to a new type of music, keep in mind that you will have to learn how to listen to it. Be patient. When you finally "get" it, it will be worth it.
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:25 PM   #6
NaturalDissolve
Knob Twiddler
NaturalDissolve is a splendid one to beholdNaturalDissolve is a splendid one to beholdNaturalDissolve is a splendid one to beholdNaturalDissolve is a splendid one to beholdNaturalDissolve is a splendid one to beholdNaturalDissolve is a splendid one to beholdNaturalDissolve is a splendid one to behold

Lots of good ideas here. My biggest problem is playing video games. I'm trying to widdle down why I like certain games so much, and then try to apply the same principles to other parts of my life. It's like the constant quest to turn my life into something I want to do. Or at least wanting to make music, or wanting to be productive instead of wanting to play video games.

------------------
Old 06-09-2016, 05:41 PM   #7
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 38210

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalDissolve View Post
Lots of good ideas here. My biggest problem is playing video games. I'm trying to widdle down why I like certain games so much, and then try to apply the same principles to other parts of my life. It's like the constant quest to turn my life into something I want to do. Or at least wanting to make music, or wanting to be productive instead of wanting to play video games.
Yea prolly throw the consoles in a river
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:30 AM   #8
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8998

Can't throw steam in a river
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:02 PM   #9
NaturalDissolve
Knob Twiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I was in a creative writing program for graduate school. Almost 100% of those who graduated scheduled specific time day by day to work on their craft. Defining a project to work on helps a lot too. Im really bad at just "making a track". Having a concept for an EP or LP is great...even if the concept doesn't ultimately transer to the audience. Be goal oriented! Create deadlines.

I dont do most of this stuff either, but know it all helps.

Scheduling doesn't seem to actually be motivation. Same with habits. It seems to be more of a technique. I feel like the biggest motivation is fun. I guess some people are motivated by different things.

------------------
Old 07-09-2016, 09:01 PM   #10
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39281549
Thanked 1,180 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalDissolve View Post
Scheduling doesn't seem to actually be motivation
Enforcing deadlines to make use of that schedule is though. Maybe ask yourself why you're avoiding working on music.

His art itself isn't to my taste to be honest, but there's something that the American artist Chuck Close said that has stuck with me since hearing it: "Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work."

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to candlesayshi
Narukami Music (08-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 10:47 PM   #11
jablls
Regular Freak
jablls is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

There could be a plethora of reasons why we lack motivation to work on tracks, as you mentioned distractions like video games can keep you away from working on a track.. but I feel like it's best to work on anything especially if it's just a hobby whenever you want without worrying about deadlines or pressuring yourself to get material out quickly. Unless if I was getting paid to make music, I don't think forcing myself a deadline for something out of my own spare time will help me, it'd just get me anxious and the whole thing would just feel like a chore. But hey, that's just me.

It's ok if it takes a while to make a track in my book, take as much time as you need. No rush, just have a good time. As long as you're spending a little bit of time working on something each day, that's something you could be proud of. Beats sitting around and doing nothing all day.

Advertisements

jablls is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote