Rotary only DJ mixers
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 26-01-2015, 09:32 AM   #1
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6660
Rotary only DJ mixers

So this thing has been making the rounds on the NAMM2015 tech pundits sites, and people seem to really be losing their shit over it.
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/20...-rotary-mixer/

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
On createdigital music, they were saying that rotary controlled dj mixers were really the hip thing with techno djs (particularly in Berlin) right now.

I used to (still would like to think I) dj techno - heavy mixing and chopping, not turtablism, but a rough approximation because that was what how I learned djing was suppose to be done at the time.

Why would these dj's not want a cross fader? To a lesser degree sliders? The former is essential to quick cuts and the latter gives more precise control than a knob any day. At least that is the way it seemed to me.

Thoughts? Is it only fashion? They do look a bit like the controls of a space ship, I have to admit.

Advertisements

TL072 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 10:13 AM   #2
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts
Re: Rotary only dj mixers

Oh, the bulky gear of the 70's.

Last edited by Evelon; 26-01-2015 at 02:44 PM..

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
Kvlt O))) (26-01-2015)
Old 26-01-2015, 10:57 AM   #3
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 34650
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL072 View Post
Why would these dj's not want a cross fader? To a lesser degree sliders? The former is essential to quick cuts and the latter gives more precise control than a knob any day. At least that is the way it seemed to me.
Maybe they are more focused on their selections or don't overtly want to alter the original composition they are playing (they may not be allowed to, many licensing agencies request you do not alter their provided material or that it be treated certain ways).

I know I personally can't stand the crossfader and only use it about 5% of the time (there's a modeselektor sticker over it and it's track at the moment).

I don't agree that the slider is more precise than the pot, they both achieve the same result in different ways.

That said, clearly they are going for a classic design and layout here, there are probably some more digital bells and whistles on the inside. Honestly it looks like a spot of fun to use, in my eyes.

EDIT: Is that a built in speaker?? That does my head in.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 12:55 PM   #4
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744043891
Thanked 7,529 Times in 4,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROton42 View Post
Maybe they are more focused on their selections or don't overtly want to alter the original composition they are playing (they may not be allowed to, many licensing agencies request you do not alter their provided material or that it be treated certain ways).

I know I personally can't stand the crossfader and only use it about 5% of the time (there's a modeselektor sticker over it and it's track at the moment).

I don't agree that the slider is more precise than the pot, they both achieve the same result in different ways.
Wouldn't you need two hands to cross-fade with knobs though?
I think that's what he's getting at..?
I don't think he was specifically asking about how you dj tbh, just more the typical mainstream approach most dj mixer users use and why the step backwards.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 01:09 PM   #5
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
I don't think he was specifically asking about how you dj tbh, just more the typical mainstream approach most dj mixer users use and why the step backwards.
Of course you would, not sure where I stated you wouldn't.

No he's not asking ME specifically how I DJ, but I can only speak for myself. It's not a far stretch of the imagination that there are others like me. It is food for thought to consider that the crossfader isn't required to DJ, and that crossfader techniques don't apply to every DJ.

------------------
Old 26-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #6
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59128526
Re: Rotary only DJ mixers

There might still be a crossfader knob so you wouldn't need two hands. I doubt you can do much turntablism that way but mixing minimal tech and stuff has never really been about fast cuts.
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 01:17 PM   #7
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Thanks loliri: yes more or less. I have to imagine that there is some reason people are interested.

With a cross-fader you can paste quick little snippets of audio (say a clap) while simultaneously cutting the bass on the other track for example. With the knobs you could not do that, and I am not convinced that a cross fade would be very easy to do evenly. I can see getting ridding of the vertical sliders, but cannot figure out why kill the cross-fader.

There are some nice bells and whistles on it. In particular piles of configurable filters. It is suppose to be very high quality, yet the observation that these are getting popular means that it is not just this particular mixer, it is the rotary faders.

Unless perhaps rotary is a bi-word for nice vintage mixer with tube amplification or something?
Old 26-01-2015, 01:34 PM   #8
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

I prefer the ease with which you can glance at where a fader is. With a knob you need some kind of indicator to show it's position. Fader you can also just slap across (the face?) in the heat of the moment - a knob requires a tad more dexterity (yeah baby). The evolution of kink
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 02:36 PM   #9
TL072
Master of the LFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebeux View Post
There might still be a crossfader knob so you wouldn't need two hands. I doubt you can do much turntablism that way but mixing minimal tech and stuff has never really been about fast cuts.
Good point, but with your second point I disagree a bit, but maybe is is just a peculiarity of the djs I learned from. I can see why many minimal tech sets would be all blending, but if it is a bit more choppy and blerpy then cutting bits and pieces is natural.

Something like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AfwLTyBxLY

(first thing that comes to mind we used to play that track to death -- but lots more blerpy than that)
Old 26-01-2015, 03:01 PM   #10
Benwaa

most of the techno DJs (and other styles tbh) don't use cutting and chopping in their sets, i haven't used a crossfader in about 10 years either. Whilst a slider fader is visually easier to see where it's at, i've always found rotaries to be easier on accuracy, and for me personally who likes to have smooth seamless transitions as possible, that's a way better thing, i would suggest this is also the case for those harping on about how great a rotary mixer really is.
At the end of the day it's aimed at a particular market, not one that includes chopping, cutting and schranz

And @proton a speak on the side? it's ventilation
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 10:25 PM   #11
PROton42
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
And @proton a speak on the side? it's ventilation
GOOD.

I mean, that would have been totally retro.

------------------
Old 27-01-2015, 06:19 PM   #12
inoxia
Regular Freak
inoxia will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

For blending sounds together this will be nice but for juggling and cutting this would be terybad ehehe imagine scratching on this thing. IMHO<<<<< Rane missed the nail on this one and for that price...! just no...

Advertisements

inoxia is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote