Do Audio Interfaces Speed Up Rendering/How to Speed up Rendering?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 26-03-2016, 06:58 PM   #1
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts
Do Audio Interfaces Speed Up Rendering/How to Speed up Rendering?

Hey all,

My father has been pestering me to ask all of you a question about audio interfaces. Some of the work he does for his clients (we designs, builds and hosts websites and apps) involves editing long segments of audio anywhere from fifteen minutes to about an hour long. He is using a somewhat recent mac book with just a standard sound card. The problem is all the down time while rendering the audio. I couldn't answer for certain if buying a proper interface would increase his rendering speed or not. He was probably looking to only spend 100-200 USD and likely wouldn't want anything with a ton of options as really the only reason for buying it would be to increase rendering speed. He is usually rendering from MP3 to MP3, sometimes the bit rate is equal, other times he starts with a higher bit rate and is rendering down to 128.

This isn't really my field at all and my google searches mostly yielded posts about wub-step knobs asking about super cheap gear.

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 07:05 PM   #2
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1542127
Thanked 2,078 Times in 1,326 Posts
Re: Do Audio Interfaces Speed Up Rendering/How to Speed up Rendering?

nope. only a faster processor will help render times.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
relic (26-03-2016)
Old 26-03-2016, 07:25 PM   #3
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
nope. only a faster processor will help render times.
Many thanks. As always. I kinda didn't think it would help.

------------------
Old 27-03-2016, 01:05 AM   #4
eesn
Knob Twiddler
eesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond repute
London
MC Status: 4910

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
The problem is all the down time while rendering the audio.
Pro Tools prior to v11 has a bad habit of rendering in realtime. Other DAWs are way faster when rendering, but you haven't given us details. For instance Logic (pre X especially) switches to stupid single thread mode when rendering. The answer is the editing software and plugins in use, not the audio interface. Modern CPUs can crunch through two-track audio at great speed, even coding mp3 is a joke unless the encoder settings are set to stun (in itself a joke with mp3).

------------------
eesn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 01:31 AM   #5
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eesn View Post
Pro Tools prior to v11 has a bad habit of rendering in realtime. Other DAWs are way faster when rendering, but you haven't given us details. For instance Logic (pre X especially) switches to stupid single thread mode when rendering. The answer is the editing software and plugins in use, not the audio interface. Modern CPUs can crunch through two-track audio at great speed, even coding mp3 is a joke unless the encoder settings are set to stun (in itself a joke with mp3).
I'm pretty sure he is just using audacity and no plug ins to speak of. He cleans the audio up a bit with some of the tools in audacity, but I think the tools desctrutively change the audio before it gets rendered.

I'll have to take a look at his render settings. But I'm not surprised a 45 minute audio track takes a long time to render. He is running an i7 quad core.

Advertisements

------------------