Samplers
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 20-02-2016, 06:04 PM   #1
poets
Microknight
poets will become famous soon enough
cheshire
MC Status: 75
Samplers

Have any of you lot got any exp. with samplers? I've got a couple of synths and drum machines, and I'm looking for a way to play a few voice samples or other things I've made in a daw in a live (computerless) setting.

Things I need are that it has to be midi syncable for clock, and with as much sample space as possible but also has to be as cheap as possible. I would also like to be able to load in my own samples pretty easily.

I've been looking at the Volca sample but tbh there's a lot of messing around to be able to get it to play what you want.

The Kaoss MKP2s sampler doesn't have clock input so it's pretty useless for me.

Any older models I should look out for on ebay?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

poets is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 07:13 PM   #2
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32910
Re: Samplers

Well I have an mpc 1000 I got fully loaded with ram and jjosxl on eBay for 550 bucks
So that's a pretty good deal!
I am still kinda figuring it out slowly, it is very capable and some things are very obvious while others have needed me to go into the manual a bit.
Other than that the electribe sampler maybe but you can't preview samples without loading them into ram
as far as form factor goes I had a synth electribe and I liked the knobs a lot but the pads on an mpc are much better
And you might be able to replace those drum machines in your set with the mpc killing 2 birds with one stone

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 07:28 PM   #3
poets
Microknight
cheshire

Well one of the drum machines is a TR8 and I don't know if I could replace it at the moment, because I find it really useful as a performance tool. It'd be nice if Roland allowed you to put your own samples into a few of the slots but then they wouldn't be able to sell you expensive add on packs like the 7x7, and whatever else they have up their sleeves.

I was looking more around the 100 mark for a sampler really if that's possible, but I could stretch to 150 (so $150 - $220).
Old 20-02-2016, 08:20 PM   #4
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39281549
Thanked 1,180 Times in 758 Posts

Akai MPDX8? Would that work? I haven't used it, but I'm looking things up and it looks pretty cheap and simple.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlesayshi View Post
Akai MPDX8? Would that work? I haven't used it, but I'm looking things up and it looks pretty cheap and simple.
I have heard sample load time can be an issue on those otherwise it might be perfect fod the price.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 08:44 PM   #6
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269481658
Thanked 3,161 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by poets View Post
Well one of the drum machines is a TR8 and I don't know if I could replace it at the moment, because I find it really useful as a performance tool. It'd be nice if Roland allowed you to put your own samples into a few of the slots but then they wouldn't be able to sell you expensive add on packs like the 7x7, and whatever else they have up their sleeves.

I was looking more around the 100 mark for a sampler really if that's possible, but I could stretch to 150 (so $150 - $220).
Unless you are in a hurry I would suggest to wait until you have about 300 and go for an MPC-1000, they keep popping up on gumtree, usually already including JJ OS.

Sure, you could settle for something else, but a MPC 1K could be easily the centrepiece of your setup for both midi sync/sequencing and sampling.

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 09:47 PM   #7
poets
Microknight
cheshire

Quote:
Akai MPDX8?
I've seen these go for incredibly cheap on ebay. Might invest in a second hand one then just sell it on when I am bored of it/need an upgrade.

Has anyone seen/used a Yamaha SU10? Do you know if they can be midi synced for bpm?

Thanks again
Old 20-02-2016, 10:26 PM   #8
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
I've seen these go for incredibly cheap on ebay. Might invest in a second hand one then just sell it on when I am bored of it/need an upgrade.

Has anyone seen/used a Yamaha SU10? Do you know if they can be midi synced for bpm?

Thanks again
Check vintagesynth.com

------------------
Old 20-02-2016, 11:08 PM   #9
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1542127
Thanked 2,078 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:

had one over a decade ago, i would recommend going with something else.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
lolirl (23-02-2016)
Old 20-02-2016, 11:10 PM   #10
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222283334
Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
had one over a decade ago, i would recommend going with something else.
yeah theyre super low in the functionality stakes. outdated memory cards that will be hard/expensive to get hold of too if I remember rightly

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to FunkMasterBrown
lolirl (23-02-2016)
Old 20-02-2016, 11:13 PM   #11
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO

no memory card. only the internal ram. 1/4 in and out.

it was good for the occasional movie sample. thats about it.

------------------
Old 20-02-2016, 11:35 PM   #12
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 179310
Thanked 3,586 Times in 2,128 Posts

I had an su700 and the converters/recording quality was

UTTER
SHIT

I left it at a buddy`s house. He`s a non-musician that likes fooling with machines... he was having fun with it so I just never took it back home.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
chasedobson (21-02-2016)
Old 21-02-2016, 01:03 AM   #13
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

the 10 was no better.

------------------
Old 21-02-2016, 02:26 AM   #14
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Used Korg ES-1 couldn't be simpler. Not a ton of space...

your budget /=/ tons of storage

Do check out the Akai MPX series, but I've hears some complaints about them.

------------------
Old 21-02-2016, 01:47 PM   #15
poets
Microknight
cheshire

Like I say, it's only really going to be used to launch a voice or other small sample every now and then. If I had something with a bit more functionality I I'd probably find a use for it though.

I like the looks of the es-1, I think I may go for that for now and upgrade later.

Thanks for the help!
Old 21-02-2016, 06:32 PM   #16
halford88
Minor Glitch
halford88 is a jewel in the roughhalford88 is a jewel in the roughhalford88 is a jewel in the roughhalford88 is a jewel in the rough
Milwaukee
MC Status: 310

I'm using a roland sp808 and really enjoy it. It has a ton of built in effects, and the d-beam controls are cool live. It can only hold about an hour of samples, but uses zip disks, so however many of those you have is how many hours of samples you have. I picked up mine used for about $150.
I haven't used an electribe esx, but I have an emx and its a dream.
halford88 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 06:34 PM   #17
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32910

"Only" an hour of samples! Lol!

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 07:15 PM   #18
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199649568
Thanked 5,006 Times in 3,215 Posts

^Well, if you're trying to do stems or backing tracks that hour will get eaten up real quick. But yeah if you're just using the sampler for bits and bobs in a live set the hour should be ample.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 07:18 PM   #19
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222283334
Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Like I say, it's only really going to be used to launch a voice or other small sample every now and then.
get an sp404 man that's what theyre designed for! no trouble on sample time, especially if you get the sx as its an SD card straight in and out. also you were/are into the beat scene right? would be cool just to have one and see what the fuss is about. the effects are great for live use too, its basically its best feature

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 03:46 AM   #20
halford88
Minor Glitch
halford88 is a jewel in the roughhalford88 is a jewel in the roughhalford88 is a jewel in the roughhalford88 is a jewel in the rough
Milwaukee
MC Status: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
get an sp404 man that's what theyre designed for! no trouble on sample time, especially if you get the sx as its an SD card straight in and out. also you were/are into the beat scene right? would be cool just to have one and see what the fuss is about. the effects are great for live use too, its basically its best feature
Also The 12 pad polyphony on the 404 is the highest of all the boss/Roland samplers! The best of the 90's samplers only have up to 8.

Advertisements

halford88 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote