recommendations for a proper "studio" quality subwoofer
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 20-11-2015, 10:21 PM   #1
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE
MC Status: 526870
recommendations for a proper "studio" quality subwoofer

Looking at options for a sub for my studio, anyone have any recommendations?

Recommend an amp as well ? or would a decent sub have one built in, or get enough juice from a decent audio interface?

looking at maybe $300-500 price range, new or used

My current monitor setup is original set of KRK 6s

thanks peeps!

Last edited by agent; 20-11-2015 at 10:44 PM..

Advertisements

agent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 01:46 AM   #2
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1542077
Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,326 Posts
Re: recommendations for a proper "studio" quality subwoofer

just get a subpac dude!

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
Kvlt O))) (22-12-2015)
Old 21-11-2015, 01:50 AM   #3
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1542077
Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,326 Posts

seriously tho most studio subs will have an amp built in.

nope, your interface wouldn't be able to drive a passive sub, or any passive speaker.

your sub will have a crossover inbuilt so that you will still only go stereo out of your interface, into the sub, it will highpass filter the signal that then goes to your current monitors so you're not duplicating those frequencies out of both speakers.

as for recommendations, I'd just do some window shopping at Sweetwater to see whats available.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 11:26 AM   #4
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744043991
Thanked 7,531 Times in 4,658 Posts

Genelec.

Edit: I wouldn't be in a hurry to just add a sub to my monitor setup tbh.
Think about switching your entire set up to a system designed to use a sub.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 05:50 PM   #5
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Genelec.

Edit: I wouldn't be in a hurry to just add a sub to my monitor setup tbh.
Think about switching your entire set up to a system designed to use a sub.
Already done. In fact I'm revamping some acoustics this next month just to address some issues I think will occur when I bring in the sub.

Anyway.. decided on the Presonus Tremblor T10. over the KRK 10s which would have looked better with my matching monitors, but the T10 was about $100 cheaper new, via ebay.

Thanks for the input everyone
Old 25-11-2015, 04:01 AM   #6
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13560

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent View Post
Already done. In fact I'm revamping some acoustics this next month just to address some issues I think will occur when I bring in the sub.

Anyway.. decided on the Presonus Tremblor T10. over the KRK 10s which would have looked better with my matching monitors, but the T10 was about $100 cheaper new, via ebay.

Thanks for the input everyone
I was looking at that one as well. As long as it has a cross over and is powered you should get some pleasing results giving that you will address the acoustic issues a sub will bring to the table in a small room. Let us know how you like it.
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to vashima
agent (25-11-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 05:21 AM   #7
agent
Deep Underground
SEATTLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashima View Post
I was looking at that one as well. As long as it has a cross over and is powered you should get some pleasing results giving that you will address the acoustic issues a sub will bring to the table in a small room. Let us know how you like it.

just arrived today and I can clearly hear what I have been missing, even with my KRK V6s which I always thought carried enough low end for me to make rational decisions

The Temblor comes with a foot switch, I think thats standard on most subs these days, and doing A/B comparisons is like day and nite.

The sub just brings life to the party that was either completely gone or translated over weak to my monitors.

Like you could hear the harmonic distortions on the top end of the subs, but no weight. The sub brings the weight and allows me to hear what is happening on those lower freqs.. glad I made the decision to upgrade studio monitoring and acoustics this year instead of just fancy toys with flashy lights...

except for the Sherman Filter Bank that came 2 days before the sub lol
Old 21-12-2015, 01:30 PM   #8
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
cane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MC
Middlesbrough
MC Status: 10534551

If somebody asked "i want to buy a Tank" id ask "How big is your Garage"

If somebody asked "I want to buy a Sub-woofer" id ask "How big is your studio ?" followed by "Do you really want a sub-woofer ?, will a sub-woofer improve your music or actually add problems ?" meaning the cross over between your existing monitors and Sub-woofer if not set-up correctly certain frequencies will either be hyped or missing which will effect your mix decisions.

if i was in the predicament where i needed my bass/sub id invested in a monitor with more bass/sub and not tack on a sub-woofer.

------------------
cane creek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 08:28 AM   #9
Firepac
Regular Freak
Firepac will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Do monitors really need an extra sub?
Firepac is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 11:36 PM   #10
agent
Deep Underground
SEATTLE

Its neat and I like it
Old 29-02-2016, 11:14 AM   #11
SWIM_DEEP
Analog Lurker
SWIM_DEEP is a glorious beacon of lightSWIM_DEEP is a glorious beacon of lightSWIM_DEEP is a glorious beacon of lightSWIM_DEEP is a glorious beacon of lightSWIM_DEEP is a glorious beacon of lightSWIM_DEEP is a glorious beacon of light
Riga
MC Status: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepac View Post
Do monitors really need an extra sub?
Everything depends! The question isn't do monitors need, the question is if you need..

I somehow thought that my Yamahas hs'7 aren't bassy enough to work with the music i'm trying to produce (bassline house, uk garage), what i understood is that i need to learn my speakers and treat my room properly.

Advertisements

SWIM_DEEP is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote