Roland 'Boutique' mini synths
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:42 AM   #1
Orray
Soundscaper
Orray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860
Roland 'Boutique' mini synths

What are your thoughts on the new Roland 'Boutique' series?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

------------------
Orray is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:13 PM   #2
vashima
IDMf Supporter
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13560
Re: Roland 'Boutique' mini synths

Seems pretty cool. The built in speakers kinda threw me off, not sure why. haha.
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:29 PM   #3
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744052691
Thanked 7,707 Times in 4,753 Posts

Not analog, which seems like an oversight by Roland (again) when compared with their traditional contemporaries like Korg.
Haven't they had enough goes at reviving their old gear by now?
Seems a bit weird to me that even Roland are desperate to recreate old sounds all the time.

Good price point though.

I'd like to see what they feel like quality-wise and I'm immediately a bit dubious about how many times you could dock and undock the keyboard before it no longer wants to play.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:07 PM   #4
D_Davis
IDMf Artist
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts

I'm getting the JU-06.

It's small, cheap, and close enough to the Juno sound for me. Ever since selling my HS-60, I've missed the Juno sound, and the JU-06 seems close enough. I also like the size - it should sit nicely on all that empty space on the Nord Lead.

If I like it, I might get 2 for a full 8 voices.

The JX-3P sounds good, too. I had a JX-3P for years, and the new little module sounds close enough.

I've never really cared for the Jupiter 8 - too big, expensive, and heavy, so I don't have a lot of interest in the module. Seems like they've tried to cram too many controls on their, though. Doesn't look as fun to use as the other two.

------------------
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:32 PM   #5
vashima
IDMf Supporter
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13560

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Not analog, which seems like an oversight by Roland (again) when compared with their traditional contemporaries like Korg.
Haven't they had enough goes at reviving their old gear by now?
Seems a bit weird to me that even Roland are desperate to recreate old sounds all the time.

Good price point though.

I'd like to see what they feel like quality-wise and I'm immediately a bit dubious about how many times you could dock and undock the keyboard before it no longer wants to play.
I feel you on that. The detachable keyboard is questionable to me. If I were to get one, I would more than likely use an external controller and skip the K-25m.
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to vashima
lolirl (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 06:59 AM   #6
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 21060

I've played countless hours with System-1 and TR-8 in my local music store, and I really have to say, that Roland ACB Technology just sounds amazing.

Also in terms of analog emulation best thing I've heard. Kinda like all those promises everyone is tired of hearing over and over again came true.

Not sure if Boutique Line is what the world was waiting for, though :p

Btw, is this really limited to 10.000 devices?

Last edited by Schnork; 07-10-2015 at 07:05 AM..
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:03 AM   #7
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
TheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MC
Vermont
MC Status: 4837898

I think roland knows what people want. Cheap, small, and with a shit ton of knobs.

------------------
My latest work:
TheWizar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to TheWizar
aikighost (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 04:11 PM   #8
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 38060

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizar View Post
I think roland knows what people want. Cheap, small, and with a shit ton of knobs.
And faders. Faders are cool too.

Does anybody know the price point on these things yet? I'm looking to drop $100 on a midi keyboard later this year, and then start a hardware synth collection as funds permit (or desires command).
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:10 PM   #9
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8589230
Thanked 7,966 Times in 5,598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnork View Post
Btw, is this really limited to 10.000 devices?
10K is more than you think. TBH, I bet they haven't cranked out more than 10K of any of the Aira line. At the least, that still makes them far more available than a lot of synths from boutique manufacturers.

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:23 PM   #10
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1544877
Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
10K is more than you think.
from the DX7 wiki:

"Over 200,000 of the original DX7 were made,[4][5][6] and it remains one of the best-selling synthesizers of all time."

I agree with this statement 10K is a lot of synths.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:14 PM   #11
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8589230
Thanked 7,966 Times in 5,598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
from the DX7 wiki:

"Over 200,000 of the original DX7 were made,[4][5][6] and it remains one of the best-selling synthesizers of all time."

I agree with this statement 10K is a lot of synths.
If someone told me they were making 200,000 of these Boutique things Id call Roland insane.

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:04 PM   #12
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
TheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MC
Vermont

Pehaps in direct comparison to this is the yamaha reface series, which cost a bit more. I bet roland figured that just about everyone has a midi keyboard (or ten) and that they could undercut them there. It also seems to me that the roland stuff simply sounds better.

------------------
My latest work:
Old 09-10-2015, 04:07 PM   #13
D_Davis
IDMf Artist
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
If someone told me they were making 200,000 of these Boutique things Id call Roland insane.
They would be!

I'll be surprised if they sell 10,000 of these without eventually the retailers closing them out.

------------------
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:16 PM   #14
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
Vermont

They actually managed to undercut a lot of synths... I mean, these are at the same price as the microbrute, but with 4 voice poly. But I would be glad if I could buy one on discount with retailers closing them out.

Yamaha would be wise to follow suit and do a re-release of the cs-5. Though I doubt they could get it even close to the original. Unless that's what the reface cs is supposed to be.

Advertisements

------------------
My latest work: