Korg Taktile 49 drum pads
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:41 PM   #1
LawrenceL342
Radial Developer
LawrenceL342 is a splendid one to beholdLawrenceL342 is a splendid one to beholdLawrenceL342 is a splendid one to beholdLawrenceL342 is a splendid one to beholdLawrenceL342 is a splendid one to beholdLawrenceL342 is a splendid one to beholdLawrenceL342 is a splendid one to beholdLawrenceL342 is a splendid one to behold
Glasgow
MC Status: 910
Korg Taktile 49 drum pads

Hey guys, I recently bought a Korg Taktile 49 and it has been great, but is there a way to have the keys playing a synth and having drums being launched on the pads? Using Ableton Live 9 btw

Advertisements

LawrenceL342 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:34 AM   #2
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 19960
Re: Korg Taktile 49 drum pads

What do you mean by 'drums being launched'? Do you want to launch clips, or actually play drum hits on a synths/sampler with the pads?

Either way you just have to assign the pads to your drum synth or sampler using Live's Midi mapping function - now you can play drums with your pads and any instrument with the keys - just arm the track of the instrument you want to play

If you want to launch clips with the pads, ofc you can also assign them using Midi mapping to launch clips but, don't forgot that it always maps to the slot, not a particular clip. If you want to play an instrument with the keys, same as before - just arm the track

Should work that way^^

Ps: Read on clip launch modes and make sure your controller is set up correctly in Live's preferences.

Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:18 PM   #3
LawrenceL342
Radial Developer
LawrenceL342 is a splendid one to beholdLawrenceL342 is a splendid one to beholdLawrenceL342 is a splendid one to beholdLawrenceL342 is a splendid one to beholdLawrenceL342 is a splendid one to beholdLawrenceL342 is a splendid one to beholdLawrenceL342 is a splendid one to beholdLawrenceL342 is a splendid one to behold
Glasgow
MC Status: 910

thanks man

------------------
LawrenceL342 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:39 PM   #4
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,148 Posts

Mapping in Live is okay. But it's limited from project to project. Another problem, if the pads are programmed like other Akai lines, is that the pads are mapped to the lowest octave on Common Channel (CC).

A better approach is to use the Akai's control editor software to map of the pads from common channel to their own channel. I have mine mapped to Ch16. Then save the program to the keyboard and load it. Then you just need to set your drum track to receive MIDI from Ch16 and set it from 'Auto' monitoring to 'In'.

Now, no matter which track in Live you're playing keys on, the pads will always control your drums. And you can always map any machine in any project to Ch16 load the program on the keyboard to make use of it.

[edit] Just realise you said Korg. But the process is the same.

Last edited by Jaded; 08-09-2015 at 04:49 PM..
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:53 AM   #5
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC

Well, I have mapped most of the 3rd plugins that I usually use to my BCR2000 and saved as startup template - With Live's easy way of mapping, starting a new project usually just needs a few minutes of setting up.
The eight knobs on my small keyboard controller are for controlling macros (control surface in Live).
Actually works like a charm.

Ofc, there are also custom made scripts...

Though I think I've read somewhere about an 'Novation Automap' kind of thingie new for Live...gimme a sec

Last edited by Schnork; 09-09-2015 at 10:04 AM..
Old 09-09-2015, 12:40 PM   #6
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC

^^ Yeah, that's right. It's more productive to map things on the controller and plugin itself than doing it in Live. So with regard to constantly having the pads mapped to a Drum Rack in Live using Ch16 as I mentioned, you would save the following mapping as a template on your controller:
Then you would just set up a default Drum Rack state in Live with the default pad selection starting at C-2, with i/o set to Ch16 an monitor to In like so:
(Sorry, the MIDI from in the screenshot says "All ins" because I don't have my MPK49 plugged in at the moment. But substitute 'All ins' with 'Your Controller' and it works!)

So with that configuration, you don't even have to arm the drum track for record. The pads will always trigger your drums. And, like Schnork said, setup is a lot quicker. Now the only step you need to take to map your drum track to your MIDI controller is set the track in your DAW to Ch16.

I do the same thing with my control banks for synthesiser patches. For example, I have a default program on the MPK for Massive's macros:
Then I have a default patch in Massive with the macros mapped from CC22:29:
So if I'm working in Massive, I don't even start patching until I've loaded the default patch. That way, doesn't matter whether I'm in a DAW, desktop, on m computer or anyone else's, my keyboard will control Massive's macros exactly the same.

Like when I started using computer MIDI I spent a lot of time using my DAW's mapping controls. But it's such a time sink, particularly if you're essentially performing the same mapping over and over. Now I hardly ever have to use Live's mapping assignments, because I have programs on my keyboard and corresponding patches in over 20 instruments.

Global mapping is definitely a good and productive habit to get into! Do it once and then every time you have an idea just get to work because your controller doesn't need to remapped every time
Old 09-09-2015, 12:45 PM   #7
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnork View Post
Though I think I've read somewhere about an 'Novation Automap' kind of thingie new for Live...gimme a sec
I'm going to guess that automap is the name that Novation has given for their control surface definitions for Live. These mapping are actually really handy and you can write custom ones of your own pretty easily as well. They're just plain text with MIDI assignments.

But yeah, you or manufacturers can write scripts for different devices with automatic assignments. These are store somewhere in Live's file system and then you can set these in the MIDI section of your preference. I think you are limited to mapping static channel parameters (that is, parameters that exist in the default signal chain like volume and panning). Most manufacturer's control definitions usually have faders controlling channels 1-x (where x is the number of faders x number of banks - MPK has 8 faders with banks A-C = Track 1-24), and then the pots do the same for pan. If there are also latchable switches, they might also be set to the channel mute button.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:23 PM   #8
Schnork
IDMf Artist

Something similar like Novation's Automap, but for Live...Couldn't find it yesterday..Though I'm pretty sure there's a bookmark somewhere on my pc^^

Anyway - Here's some interesting stuff:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements