Reference Monitors + Microphone for recording vocals
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 22-07-2015, 12:32 AM   #1
SoulBrix
Master of the LFO
SoulBrix is a savage MCSoulBrix is a savage MCSoulBrix is a savage MCSoulBrix is a savage MCSoulBrix is a savage MCSoulBrix is a savage MCSoulBrix is a savage MCSoulBrix is a savage MCSoulBrix is a savage MCSoulBrix is a savage MCSoulBrix is a savage MC
MC Status: 33681
Reference Monitors + Microphone for recording vocals

Hello, guys.

I want to buy a pair of reference monitors and a microphone to add to my small 'studio', and I'd like to ask for your opinion.

As a amateur producer, this will have to be on a budget... I'd like to spend around 400€.

I'm looking at the following products:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

(to connect the Mic and use as a external audio interface)

Of course, I cannot expect top notch quality, but do you think these will provide moderate quality? Would I be better served with other brands/models?

Also, do I need a pre mic amp to record vocals?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

------------------

Daft Punk - Technologic (SoulBrix Remix)
My Face
Making distortion since April 2010. If you can, check out my work, and leave a comment please
SoulBrix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:45 PM   #2
NChil10
Granular Poster
NChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to all
Sheffield
MC Status: 610
Re: Reference Monitors + Microphone for recording vocals

It would help to know what kind of music your making. Would you be recording from more than 2 sources at once (for example recording a band live) or would you be recording 1 track at a time? Also will you be recording into a DAW on your PC/Mac, if so a dedicated external audio interface might give you better connectivity and control than a mixer without any software?

I wouldn't worry about getting a separate mic preamp at this stage, as most audio interfaces will have at least one to get you started.

Focusrite do some good starter packages with an audio interface, condenser mic, headphones, and one with some KRK monitors (not everyone loves these, but they're ok to start out on), so it might be worth looking at their stuff.
NChil10 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:01 PM   #3
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

Yes, you need a preamp if you are recording vocals (if your dedicated audio interface doesn't have one that is).

You also need headphones. Maybe a large diaphragm condenser and a pop killer.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:45 PM   #4
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

If you get a USB mic, you won't need a preamp. It'll have phantom power built into it if it's a condenser.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 03:44 PM   #5
Refraktal
Regular Freak
Refraktal will become famous soon enough
El Paso
MC Status: 60

If you want the best quality, consider a separate preamp. If you need to save the money and grab the USB mic, try for a AT2020 USB or Blue Spark Digital. For monitoring, you can get away with some studio headphones (speakers don't work too well when recording anyways), Beyerdynamic DT770 is usually what I recommend.

Keep in mind that if you are in an untreated acoustic environment, dynamic mics may be a better choice, as condensers' sensitivity can be a death sentence in poor acoustic spaces.
Refraktal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:42 PM   #6
SoulBrix
Master of the LFO
SoulBrix is a savage MCSoulBrix is a savage MCSoulBrix is a savage MCSoulBrix is a savage MCSoulBrix is a savage MCSoulBrix is a savage MCSoulBrix is a savage MCSoulBrix is a savage MCSoulBrix is a savage MCSoulBrix is a savage MCSoulBrix is a savage MC
MC Status: 33681

Hello, guys. Thanks everyone for the opinions! I actually did some research my self and changed the monitors and the microphone.

I chose some active speakers, these [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, and I changed the condenser microphone to a dynamic one, this one [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. I changed it because I don't have a treated room, and I read that a condenser would not be good for this environment.

------------------

Daft Punk - Technologic (SoulBrix Remix)
My Face
Making distortion since April 2010. If you can, check out my work, and leave a comment please
SoulBrix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:19 AM   #7
SyntacticSugar³
Analog Lurker
SyntacticSugar³ is just really niceSyntacticSugar³ is just really niceSyntacticSugar³ is just really niceSyntacticSugar³ is just really nice
MC Status: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBrix View Post
I changed it because I don't have a treated room, and I read that a condenser would not be good for this environment.
Dynamic mics are more for performing... I never had a treated room and I've used a couple condenser mics in different room shapes. Honestly, a lot of it boils down to where you place things within your space...

And as far as mics, it depends a lot on what kind of voice you have and what kind of timbre you want to record with. Some mics are better suited for bass/baritone, or for alto, soprano, and so forth. The other thing is, some mics will cause the recording to sound really clear but hollow, while others will have more warmth, some will have more crispiness, and others more breathiness.

Advertisements

SyntacticSugar³ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote