Desktop Analog Filter advice
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:42 PM   #1
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE
MC Status: 526870
Desktop Analog Filter advice

Hey guys and girls and stuff.. Any advice for desktop analog filters?

I've been mulling over the idea of picking up a few desktop analog filter modules to fatten-up my mostly digitally created sounds.

I had the Moogerfooger in the past (classic non-midi version) and although I liked its overall warm color I want something a bit more versatile.

My dream would be a Schippmann Ebbe Und Flut, but they are hard to come by and go for upwards of $1,500 and thee o'l ebay

My price range is around $700

Vermona Lancet, Sherman, Waldorf, any others I should know of?

Thanks!!

Advertisements

agent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:47 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts
Re: Desktop Analog Filter advice

At $700 USD you are also in the price range to get a polyphonic analog synth. Like a Tetra (lots of options for programing it besides the front panel).

My vote would be for the Vermona or Sherman Filter Bank...but if you are trying to "fatten" sounds maybe the Sherman Rodec is also worth looking at?

To me the Filter Bank is more of a sound mangling device (or at least what it is best at).

Moog really need to make a multimode pedal/desktop filter. For that big, old school analog sound I'd go w/ the Moog personally and save yourself some dosh. Maybe consider the MuRF MoogFooger as well.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:06 PM   #3
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE

Yeah I had the MurF back in the day as well... I just find the options for sound sculpting on those Moog pedals to be limited.

As for options, yeah I want it to fatten the sound in its simplest process, but also have options to go farther to fuck up the noisy bits and add color and life.

Thanks for reminding about the Rodec... I kinda forgot about that
Old 10-04-2015, 07:08 PM   #4
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

The only other thing I can think of are a Electrix Filter Factory (very bland IMO, I have one, really good if you are going to tweak it live, but as a static filter it is very utilitarian) or the Jomox T-Resonator. I don't think either of those are going to fatten up a sound much.

I don't know what the Sherman is like for plain simple tone shaping.

Last edited by relic; 10-04-2015 at 07:24 PM..

------------------
Old 10-04-2015, 07:15 PM   #5
agent
Deep Underground
SEATTLE

The T-Resonator is more like a feedback effects device, with delays and feedback loops and so on.

had one for awhile as well. I don't think they make them now and they are expensive for what they do I felt... But fun

Maybe I need to pull out my old Koas Pad ll and run it through some in-the-box distortion/tube simulation/saturation and call it ad day - digital and all its annoying crispness ;P

Thanks for the advice about teh Tetra, in fact I started this thread after reading the Mopho thread lol
Old 10-04-2015, 07:26 PM   #6
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

If you want something to "warm" stuff up the EHX LPB2UBE is sweet for that as well, or maybe their tube EQ pedal ;p

The 2UBE goes from boosting signal, to overdrive, to distortion.

The good old gear rabbit hole...;p

------------------
Old 10-04-2015, 07:49 PM   #7
agent
Deep Underground
SEATTLE

Fuck this shit... lol

Yeah, I'm getting a touch of the gear lust I thinks

Its been about 10 years since buying anything hardware minus a computer and I liquidated my whole studio before I moved to NYC, then I moved to Seattle, then LA, then back to Seattle.. SO now I'm like, "where all my toys at??!!"
Old 10-04-2015, 07:52 PM   #8
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

No better time to get the gear lust back--there are a lot of right-priced options. Lots of it I can't afford or if I can I'm not willing to spend that much for X item...even boutique and pro-sumer gear isn't terribly priced in many cases.

------------------
Old 10-04-2015, 07:56 PM   #9
agent
Deep Underground
SEATTLE

....and now I'm looking at buying a Korg MS2000

-___-

yeah, there are some great lower priced synths and effects coming out lately. I've just been digging all these table top filters I've seen popping out
Old 10-04-2015, 07:57 PM   #10
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20960

sherman filterbank love that thing, mates got one the filterbank mk2 and its awsome.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:10 PM   #11
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Mode Machines makes a Juno and a Wasp filter.

------------------
Old 10-04-2015, 10:19 PM   #12
agent
Deep Underground
SEATTLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Mode Machines makes a Juno and a Wasp filter.
Read a few bad reviews regarding build quality / durability of mode machine hardware on GearSluts forum yesterday.

Never owned one or seen one in the flesh but made me think twice about tossing money at a potential problem

Which sucks bc, I had thought of getting both those as mini, simple filters
Old 10-04-2015, 10:59 PM   #13
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Yea. I read that too. I also heard others say they had no issues. Which some how worries me more...inconsistent build quality...im ok w companies I can trust to make a shoddy case or use wiggly knobs every time...

------------------
Old 11-04-2015, 03:35 AM   #14
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1542077
Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent View Post
....and now I'm looking at buying a Korg MS2000
inexpensive and really pretty great. i really like its FX section.

im not helping am i?

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
relic (11-04-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 04:02 AM   #15
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
inexpensive and really pretty great. i really like its FX section.

im not helping am i?
Mopho x4 dude...just let the sound invade your being...

------------------
Old 13-04-2015, 09:10 AM   #16
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744043891
Thanked 7,529 Times in 4,657 Posts

Maybe consider the MS-20 mini?
You can run audio through it's analogue filter and it's what the MS2000 was vaguely based on.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 06:55 PM   #17
agent
Deep Underground
SEATTLE

I hate everyone here...

That being said, I opted to shelve my gear lust for now, for jazz theory/piano lessons instead of buying more toys. Have a meeting tonight actually with a local jazz guru of sorts. Kinda nervous tho lol
Old 13-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #18
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
I hate everyone here...

That being said, I opted to shelve my gear lust for now, for jazz theory/piano lessons instead of buying more toys. Have a meeting tonight actually with a local jazz guru of sorts. Kinda nervous tho lol
*thumbs up* I keep waiting for the perfect semester to take a beginner piano class, but it never works out for my teaching schedule...all those free credit hours down the drain : (

------------------
Thanks to relic
agent (13-04-2015)
Old 13-04-2015, 07:51 PM   #19
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269480808
Thanked 3,144 Times in 2,079 Posts

Quote:
I opted to shelve my gear lust for now, for jazz theory/piano lessons instead of buying more toys. Have a meeting tonight actually with a local jazz guru of sorts. Kinda nervous tho lol
I did something similar, I decided to invest part of my bonus into piano and music lessons rather than gear.

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
agent (13-04-2015)
Old 13-04-2015, 08:15 PM   #20
agent
Deep Underground
SEATTLE

Yeah I feel kinda felt lame-o about it, bc I always had this mentality that I can learn "anything" on my own via books, practice and the interwebs...

But I had to get right with myself and agree that I'm an idiot and I need a guiding light or a kick in the ass.

Not to mention, the one thing you hear over an over and over again when discussing music and advancing your skill level is to try and wrap your head around music theory, something I've been ignoring for about 20 years of working in sound design.

I just hope I pass my interview o_o

Advertisements