Hissing with studio monitors
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 21-11-2015, 11:24 PM   #1
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 72010
Thanked 1,440 Times in 1,045 Posts
Icon5 Hissing with studio monitors

So, I noticed today a hissing sound in my setup: Scarlett 2i2 with HS8's

It is only in the left channel. Swapping the monitor cables doesn't fix it. Swapping left and right channel plugs (i.e. connect left monitor to right channel) leaves the hissing in the same monitor, that is hissing sound can only be heard on one of the two monitors, but is on both output channels. Different power outlets, including a clean power source seemed to have fixed it, but it came back.

Here is what I am now looking at:

One of the monitors will present an audible white noise sound (more significant than the noise floor). I can, using the clean power source, get rid of it by turning off the monitor, disconnecting the Scarlett, turn the gain knob on the Scarlett down, reconnect the audio interface to the USB, then turn on the monitor. If I then crank up the gain on the Scarlett, the noise will come back, first crackling, and then persistent. Once the noise is there, turning back the gain does not turn it off. I have to then disconnect and power up as mentioned above.

Now, what is the problem here? Is that one monitor not functioning properly or is the audio interface causing the problem. The noise loudness increases with the gain setting.

Using my headphone amp (HiFiMan EF2A) I get a different noise and it is the same (kind and level) for both monitors. I am hence leaning towards concluding that the issue is with the audio interface.

Any thoughts?

Andy

P.S... I am connecting the 2i2 via a powered USB hub. However, I checked, directly connecting it to a USB on my Mac doesn't get rid of the noise.

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 12:38 AM   #2
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts
Re: Hissing with studio monitors

I have had troubles recently and I also have the Scarlett. I find it's better using ASIO4ALL vs the focusrite setting for the interface.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 01:14 AM   #3
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

So, you do that running the software that comes with it?

Should've listened to relic and gone for a MOTU interface.

------------------

Old 22-11-2015, 01:20 AM   #4
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
So, you do that running the software that comes with it?

Should've listened to relic and gone for a MOTU interface.
I just click the setting in my DAW for ASIO4ALL. I'm still using my interface.
Old 22-11-2015, 01:21 AM   #5
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Is this PC specific? I'm using a Mac.

------------------

Old 22-11-2015, 01:23 AM   #6
Muse-ic
Wanderer

Quote:
In your DAW there should be a preference section for setting up your audio.
I use a PC but I imagine changing preferences is the same.
Old 22-11-2015, 04:26 AM   #7
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1544877
Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,364 Posts

Quote:
\

yes

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
Kvlt O))) (05-12-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 10:34 AM   #8
vashima
IDMf Supporter
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13560

I was having some weird humming issues with all my usb/thunderbolt gear with my mac. After doing some research I came across doing a NVRAM & SMC reset as a possible fix. It worked for me. It does something with the voltage control through the computer and some virtual memory that helps control hardware. This is just for macs.

Turn off the Mac.
Locate the Command, Option, P and R keys on the keyboard.
Turn on the Mac while holding down the Command-Option-P-R keys until you hear the second start-up sound.
Release the Command-Option-P-R keys.

--Wait for the mac to boot all the way up and then shut it down again.

(for laptop)
Plug in the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your computer.
On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
Press the power button to turn on the computer.

(Desktop Macs)
Disconnect the power cord (either from the Mac or from the AC outlet). Wait 15 seconds and plug it back in. Then wait another 5 seconds and turn the Mac back on.

Worth a shot. Where it is only happening on the left channel it may be the scarlett or the scarlett software. Do you switch back and forth a lot with the "hardware control" volume button within the software? I know that with my 18i20 I sometimes have to toggle that button to get the audio signal to be put back into stereo after I've unplugged the interface and reconnected it. Good luck.
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to vashima
liquid_air (03-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 06:21 AM   #9
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Ok, in my case it turned out to be a crappy USB device. Upgrading to a USB3 hub has minimized the issue that only when I max out my audio interface gain I get some static. For all practical purposes that's addressing the issue for me, as we are talking ear bleeding loud at that point.

------------------

Old 05-12-2015, 06:25 AM   #10
Muse-ic
Wanderer

The USB port where you plug in your interface?
Old 05-12-2015, 08:49 AM   #11
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

That's the funny thing...

I bypassed the crappy USB and plugged the 2i2 in directly into the USB port of the computer and the issue persisted. Didn't expect this to be the cause. I bought the USB anyway. I used the new device and disconnected the old USB hub, including unplugging the power adapter (!) from the power strip. Now with the new powered USB hub I have mostly gotten rid of the issue.

Kind of funny, but the only reasonable explanation is that the power adapter must have introduced this artifact.

------------------

Old 05-12-2015, 08:58 AM   #12
Muse-ic
Wanderer

Oh okay. My interface is plugged in and powered via USB.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:01 AM   #13
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Same here...

------------------

Old 05-12-2015, 09:08 AM   #14
Muse-ic
Wanderer

Oh, I see, I just re-read it.

Advertisements

Thanks to Muse-ic
vashima (06-12-2015)