Have an audio interface with balanced line inputs. Want to connect a guitar.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 19-05-2015, 10:18 AM   #1
lw_pss
Soundscaper
lw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MC
Yekaterinburg
MC Status: 528458
Have an audio interface with balanced line inputs. Want to connect a guitar.

Hi IDMF! I hope you can give me some advices.
I recently bought electric guitar (1985 Aria Pro II RS Inazuma-II if anyone is interested). I also have Infrasonic Deux audio interface ([Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
). This thing has pretty quality sound, but it doesn't have any instrumental inputs, only balanced line ones. It means that when I plug my guitar directly to this input, I can't hear any sound because the signal is unamplified. Now I have to connect my guitar to line input of internal soundboard and then process the signal using NI Guitar Rig. The quality is average at best.

I've come up with following solutions. Can you advice me which one to choose and why?
1. Buy an audio interface with instrumental inputs instead (e.g. Focusrite Scarlett Solo)
2. Buy DI box
3. Buy guitar processor (e.g. Zoom G1Xon). This one appeal to me because I'll be able to use it without computer as well.

Thanks!

Advertisements

------------------
lw_pss is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 10:44 AM   #2
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts
Re: Have an audiointerface with balanced line inputs, want to connect the guitar

It looks like the interface you have now should work, unless I'm missing something. Why couldn't you use that interface into guitar rig and skip the internal soundcard part?
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 11:01 AM   #3
lw_pss
Soundscaper
lw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MC
Yekaterinburg
MC Status: 528458
Re: Have an audiointerface with balanced line inputs, want to connect the guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
It looks like the interface you have now should work, unless I'm missing something. Why couldn't you use that interface into guitar rig and skip the internal soundcard part?
Read the first answer here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
lw_pss is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #4
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33010

Looked at thes pecs for the interface ..It is missing Hi Z inputs or a mic line combo jack.It looks like it just has line level imputs.You will need to have some sort of Pre amp in order to get instrument level. A DI box will work as long as it is active.A Passive one can work as long as it has impedance matching.Active will save you any headaches and provide phantom power to your level boost.Some might be transformerless but still work out great.Radial is pretty much my got along with Whirlwind.At that point it is all about finding one that fits your tone..some can be quite colorful while others are very transparent.

The Solo will work nicely adn teh Focusrtie Pre's are very clean..if you are using ASIO just make sure you are using the multi client version since most DAW's can only see one ASIO interface at a time by default.

Last edited by Str8Jaketed; 19-05-2015 at 12:00 PM..

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 05:48 PM   #5
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1542077
Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,326 Posts
Re: Have an audio interface with balanced line inputs. Want to connect a guitar.

^ yeah this.

preamp or DI. done.

Advertisements

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
lw_pss (25-05-2015)