Assistance Desired for Traktor Setup
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:27 AM   #1
PazzyPazzy
Minor Glitch
PazzyPazzy is a jewel in the roughPazzyPazzy is a jewel in the roughPazzyPazzy is a jewel in the rough
California
MC Status: 260
Assistance Desired for Traktor Setup

A quick rundown on what my goal is here. I would like to monitor/preview a track on any given deck through my headphones - without the sound being routed through the main output. I would like to get the preview routed through my audio interface - as I do not have multiple soundcards.

Surprisingly enough I was able to get this working in Virtual DJ 6.0 - which featured a few dropdown menus in the Config. I had my computer's soundcard slotted into the master/main or whatever the hell it was called - and then had the audio interface slotted into the second port. I was able to hear the selected deck via the headphone jack on my audio interface, and pending that the deck's volume wasn't turned up - no sound would go to the main.

I'm hoping to do the same in Traktor. I have a copy of Traktor 2 which my machine will barely start-up - and will in no way run. So I'm using the original Traktor program - which might limit some of my options - but it seems like this would be in there somehow.

I see options for "monitor" and "master". The manual seemed to entail that the monitor slots weren't quite what I thought they were (however I would definitely believe that I misunderstood this) - and at no point have I had the option to have sound routed to my interface and the main soundcard simultaneously - seems to be one or the other.

Again this is not the biggest issue - and we always jam econo - I figure that I could send the signal to my audio interface (or state this as the main card) and then have a headphone plugged into the "phone" output - and have the "line out" routed to my main speakers. Although I don't know if I would be able to route which signals go to the headphone slot and which signals go the main line out.

I haven't tested this out (I have one audio jack converter and would be using both outputs) - although I could do this using a guitar cable to connect to an amp. Regardless I do not want to do all of this and was hoping that someone would be able to give me some setup tips so that I could do this as closely to the setup I had while toying with Virtual DJ. Thanks ahead of time for the tips. I realize this post has been quite a novella - but I feel like I've been able to cover most of the details.

Advertisements

PazzyPazzy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:02 AM   #2
eliw777
Microknight
eliw777 will become famous soon enougheliw777 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 116
Re: Assistance Desired for Traktor Setup

What kind of soundcard/interface are you using, and are you using the ASIO4All driver? I'm using Traktor 2 and it will only allow me to use one output at a time, i.e. I can either use my headphone jack OR my interface. If you really don't mind "jamming econo" then you can set "monitor" and "master" to mono and use only one output channel for each... otherwise you could try playing around with your ASIO settings in conjunction with the Traktor routing.

For gigs I use the Audio 2 interface which can route decks A and B to separate stereo outputs. It's really awesome to be able to route both decks into two separate mixer channels. It's pretty cheap too, I think it runs around 100 bucks.

------------------
eliw777 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:57 AM   #3
PazzyPazzy
Minor Glitch
PazzyPazzy is a jewel in the roughPazzyPazzy is a jewel in the roughPazzyPazzy is a jewel in the rough
California
MC Status: 260

Thanks for the input eliw777.

The soundcard listed reads: Realtek AC97 for VIA Audio Controller
My audio interface reads: Tascam Us-122 MK II

Your econo suggestion there might be the trick. I will play around with the ASIO settings but I don't know where to begin. Will look into it via the site/google/manuals. Any further advice is appreciated and mahalo in advance.
PazzyPazzy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:06 AM   #4
Benwaa

It won't allow you to use multiple sounds cards in that way, the monitor option you refer to in tractor is designed with multiple out sound cards in mind.
For instance, with a cheap creative sound master external with 5.1 (multiple outs) it means I can route the master output to channels 1&2 and a headphone cue to channels 3&4. Now my main audio interface only has two channel output so I can't have the cue to the headphones as there sound card Durante gave the channels. It's as simple as that.
I've tried every which way to get it to work as you want but without a multi channel sound card with multi channel outputs it won't happen, asio4all will show your two devices but tractor will only recognise one
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:33 AM   #5
4nerub
4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6462

For what i know traktors "engine" wont allow you to do that :/

Advertisements

------------------
"Welcome to electronic music production! Please say goodbye to your family, videogames, TV, friends, other hobbies and any meaningful relationships you may still be clinging to. Prepare to spend all of your free time working from now until you find yourself wallowing in a puddle of your own tears in the corner out of frustration."
4nerub is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote