Vsts for Ambient Pads and Drones etc.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 16-02-2014, 01:55 AM   #1
Gudgeon
Regular Freak
Gudgeon will become famous soon enoughGudgeon will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110
Icon8 Vsts for Ambient Pads and Drones etc.

I've been trying to get into producing ambient music now for about a month and I'm getting so stressed out with it.

I'm trying to create some pads and drones etc, I don't want dozens of mind boggling combinations of oscs, filters and modulations etc. but I don't want anything too generic either.

I've tried several vsts, some of them had generic sounding presets and not enough controls to really change much and some of them had so many controls that you get it lost in it and it soon becomes a complicated mess.

It's a goldilocks situation, I want something somewhere in between, not too complicated and not too simple.

I would really appreciate some advice, thank you for reading.

Advertisements

Gudgeon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 02:06 AM   #2
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010
Re: Vsts for Ambient Pads and Drones etc.

I was just about to link you [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
... but apparently it's yours too?

Experiment, that's all I can give you. I never find a pad sound I like directly out of the box, I'll always stack effects to get the sound I'm looking for. Nowadays I'll just use operator as source (cause I'm used to it) and create movement by stacking effects (just be sure to know what you are doing to your signal).

Careful placing notes is a cool trick. It's easy to just play full chords, but what if you pull those apart and let your pads play different notes at different times? Instead of having solid pads you'll create something with a lot of interesting movement.

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 05:46 AM   #3
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776

I'd say try Absynth or Alchemy, but they're both a bit complex, I think the layout on Alchemy is slightly more intuitive though. It'll take a while to get to grips with, but you can just start off simple with basic subtractive synthesis on it, really, it's only as complicated a synth as you make it, it's got tons of features, but if you start from the basics, it gives you a lot of room to expand as you become more comfortable with it! Definitely good for rich pads though, as it's got tons of filters(4 per sound source, as well as 2 main filters, and then of course you can chuck in even more in the effects section) and sound shaping tools, and a ridiculously good mod system.

Last edited by penguinoid; 16-02-2014 at 05:54 AM..
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to penguinoid
A.M (16-02-2014)
Old 16-02-2014, 06:00 AM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

Well at the very least Absynth as the mutate/random functions.

I understand you asking for options, but in my mind if you want complex evolving pads and you want good ones I think you are going to have to tackle a complex synth. Either that or learn to use audio in sampler and FX to make the atmospheric sounds you want.

I would also recommend Alchemy as it is easier to navigate than Absynth.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
Syllix
Eternal Echoer
Syllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MC
MC Status: 1097447

You can make decent pads with any synth mate. It just takes practice. There are many ways to get some good sounding pads by layering synths, messing with EQs and effects, manipulating audio, utilizing time compression / expansion. The more you play around with different techniques the better you'll get.

------------------
SyllixMusic.com
Find me on Facebook | SoundCloud | YouTube | Bandcamp
Latest video game remix: Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - Aquatic Ruin Zone!
Syllix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 01:35 PM   #6
Sublimator
Sublimator has much to be proud ofSublimator has much to be proud ofSublimator has much to be proud ofSublimator has much to be proud ofSublimator has much to be proud ofSublimator has much to be proud ofSublimator has much to be proud ofSublimator has much to be proud ofSublimator has much to be proud ofSublimator has much to be proud of
Last Hole on Earth
MC Status: 1425

chck out waldorf [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Sublimator is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #7
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20960

ooo completely forgot about this one had it ages ago and gonna start useing it again its so good for it being free
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to joem
A.M (16-02-2014)