Guitars and things with strings. - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:27 PM   #61
U-235
Sample Destroyer
U-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond repute
Fields of Gold
MC Status: 6910
Re: Guitars and things with strings.

^^^ Beautiful!

Advertisements

U-235 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:19 AM   #62
Alfonz
Regular Freak
Alfonz is a glorious beacon of lightAlfonz is a glorious beacon of lightAlfonz is a glorious beacon of lightAlfonz is a glorious beacon of lightAlfonz is a glorious beacon of lightAlfonz is a glorious beacon of light
By the seashore
MC Status: 510

Hi my name is Alfonz and I'm an addict - (Hi Alfonz) - It's been over 6 months since I bought my last guitar...

Seriously, I love guitars. I buy them, sell them (reluctantly), restore them, modify them, build them, and sometimes I even play them. My current collection includes a '61 Gibson SG Jr (my childhood guitar), Heritage jazz archtop, 2 vintage Ibanez semi-hollow bodies, 2 Capitol archtops from the 1930s, 3 fretless basses (Fender P, Ibanez, Lightwave), 2 Strats, a Tele, 3 custom acoustics, and a few odds and ends.... 19 in all. According to my indulgent wife 20 guitars is the limit. Which is fair, I guess. After all, every man's got to know his limitations. My studio has room for one more and I'm currently in the market for an early 80's Ibanez Artist.
I play through a couple of tube amps: 70's Fender Vibrochamp, and a THD Univalve with NOS tubes thru a 2x12 cab full of Celestion Greenbacks. For effects I use a Tech 21 PSA-1 rack preamp, Lexicon MX-200 rack multi-effects, POD XT, POD HD500 pedal board, Yamaha G50 MIDI converter, Roland GR-09 guitar synth, or Guitar Rig 5.
Currently working on honing my keyboard and drumming skills, but guitars are my first love and will always feel like "home".

Last edited by Alfonz; 07-06-2016 at 05:03 AM..
Alfonz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Alfonz
chasedobson (08-06-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 04:43 AM   #63
Alfonz
Regular Freak
Alfonz is a glorious beacon of lightAlfonz is a glorious beacon of lightAlfonz is a glorious beacon of lightAlfonz is a glorious beacon of lightAlfonz is a glorious beacon of lightAlfonz is a glorious beacon of light
By the seashore

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeongeneral View Post
I just wanted to say that BY FAR, the best value in guitars is vintage Ibanez guitars that are made in Japan (circa 1975 - 1986). Easily the best guitars you can get for under a grand. Real talk.
Couldn't agree more! I have two from that era and they are incredible guitars. In fact Gibson sued to get them to stop production because the Ibanez copies were as good or better than the original Les Pauls and ES-335/339s. One note: If you are serious about buying them make sure that they have the original pick-ups: Super-70's, Super-80's and Super-58's. The sound of these pu's is amazingly sweet and they are highly prized by collectors.
Thanks to Alfonz
surgeongeneral (07-06-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #64
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45948381
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,646 Posts

My name is Michael. I play some guitar and slappa da bass.

I also can play the drums and own a roland td somethingorother but it's in my car's trunk at the moment so no pics. The black guitar closest to the toy guitar is my main axe, I tune to drop B flat on it and use .60-.12 gauge strings (D'adarrios). I mostly play music of the metal variety and have an album out under the name Sleepwalkers and am currently working on a brand new album for that project with includes two other people, a vocalist and a bass player. I love Ibanez and all the electrics you see in that picture are Ibbys. My favorite shape and style are the S series followed by a vintage Gibson Les Paul shape. Strats are the best doe.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:13 PM   #65
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1544177
Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,353 Posts

lefty!

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
Numerical (07-06-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 03:26 PM   #66
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin

Yep sure am. Sucks whenever I step in a Guitar Center, though. All the way down on the budget corner they'll have two low-end lefty Squire strats and one lefty Epiphone LP. Every. Time.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:43 PM   #67
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1544177
Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,353 Posts

i bet.

expensive enough to be a musician, even more so to get quality left handed instruments. I'm lefty in life, but was taught at like 10 when i picked up a guitar that "you hold it like this". It stuck.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
Numerical (07-06-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 01:01 AM   #68
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MC
ottawa
MC Status: 10660

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
i bet.

expensive enough to be a musician, even more so to get quality left handed instruments. I'm lefty in life, but was taught at like 10 when i picked up a guitar that "you hold it like this". It stuck.
Totally the same for me. I'm a lefty that plays right. VERY happy that worked out.
envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:06 AM   #69
Creepr
IDMf Artist
Creepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond repute
Germany
MC Status: 8210

Same here, I find it better to have my dominant hand on the frets tbh...never felt at a disadvantage there.

------------------
Creepr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:34 PM   #70
Alfonz
Regular Freak
By the seashore

My younger brother is left handed and since he shared my guitar in the early days he learned to play righty. He swears that having the extra dexterity in his fretting hand is why he was (arguably) better than me. But later I learned to play fingerstyle in an effort to regain the advantage. I guess you could say that Sibling rivalry has made me a better musician.
On a related note, I saw Doyle Bramhall on one of Clapton's Crossroads festivals recently, and I was amazed to notice that he's a left handed guitarist who plays it strung upside-down (high E on top). Can't imaging how difficult it was to learn to play that way, figuring everything out for himself without tablature or chord diagrams etc.

Last edited by Alfonz; 08-06-2016 at 05:43 PM..
Old 09-06-2016, 02:44 PM   #71
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Austin

I actually play the drums right handed. So yeah you can learn both ways but it's far too late for me to start over my bros...25 years into learning lefty.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:10 PM   #72
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20860

midi guitars are pretty cool.

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:46 AM   #73
Alfonz
Regular Freak
By the seashore

Love my MIDI guitar set up (Roland GK2 pickup through either Yamaha G50 MIDI converter or Roland G-09 guitar synth). The G-09 is a floor unit with some half-decent built-in sounds that I run thru an amp or headphones. I mostly just screw around with it looking for ideas. The Yamaha G50 is a rack unit converts guitar to MIDI with no built-in sounds and I use it mostly for serious recording. It has more powerful features: for example there are various split functions which allow you to assign different sounds to different parts of the fretboard and/or to different strings, each string can send on its own MIDI channel, etc. Tons of fun! I find it works especially well for horns and orchestral string pads since the guitar vibrato is more realistic (and easier to control) than playing on a keyboard with pitch wheel - at least for me.
One thing about MIDI guitar is that it takes some getting used to - you have to play really cleanly or it will not trigger properly.
Old 13-06-2016, 08:05 PM   #74
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 35510

I got a question for you IDMfers that play guitar
I just got a couple pedals today, and the empress doesn't take batteries and doesn't come with a PSU!
So I had been humming and hawing about a powered pedal board and it would appear as tho I might have to bite that bullet!
Now my issue is that I also use, and want to keep using, some of my pedals with my mpc and my bass station.
Long story short how do you guys set you boards up for max flexibility?
Some of my issue might be alleviated when I figure out the octatrack and run my mpc into it for effects!
Thanks

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 12:15 AM   #75
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MC
ottawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
I got a question for you IDMfers that play guitar
I just got a couple pedals today, and the empress doesn't take batteries and doesn't come with a PSU!
So I had been humming and hawing about a powered pedal board and it would appear as tho I might have to bite that bullet!
Now my issue is that I also use, and want to keep using, some of my pedals with my mpc and my bass station.
Long story short how do you guys set you boards up for max flexibility?
Some of my issue might be alleviated when I figure out the octatrack and run my mpc into it for effects!
Thanks

First thing I will suggest is that you have to go to a dedicated power supply. There's lots of good ones out there. If you are using any high voltage suckers like Strymon or Eventide boxes, you'll want to look at something like the Voodoo labs Digital, or 4x4.

If you want to look at running your board in a dual fuction kind of setup where it is running to your guitar amp but also your interface, I'd look at a box from LEHLE like the DUAL or the Parallel L.

I'm in a situation where I can't really even use my guitar gear in my studio. It's all in a rehearsal space that I'm in at least once a week with a band. I'm running a sort of "B" setup at home.
Thanks to envelope3
jbvdb493 (14-06-2016)
Old 14-06-2016, 01:20 AM   #76
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
ottawa

What empress box did you get?
Old 14-06-2016, 01:38 AM   #77
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 35510

Multi drive
So now I got boss comp, boss re20, empress muti drive and line 6 m9. Looks like the line 6 is a power hog!

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 01:40 AM   #78
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
ottawa

Nice. Empress is an Ottawa company. Great stuff locally and globally

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Old 14-06-2016, 10:34 AM   #79
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 186710
Thanked 3,734 Times in 2,213 Posts

All of you lefties should unite and get on the human rights equality train. Kind of like people who are allergic to things and can't eat in some restaurants. You need to work on you sense of entitlement.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 12:45 AM   #80
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Austin

Got a new axe today

Advertisements